1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale will meet with general manager Daryl Morey and owner Leslie Alexander in Florida on Wednesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, May 7, 2014.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I would have resigned simply because I wouldn't be in a good enough mental state to do this job to the best of my ability. Yeah everyone has a story even the people that aren't millionaires that gotta put food on the table and keep the lights on daily for their families.

2. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

As a Rockets fan, i also want better coaching and would prefer him to be replaced but at least have some compassion as a human being. To go as far as disrespecting him in person? Just count me out. I'll let Les and Morey handle the business side of things. Give the man a break for chrissake.

1 person likes this.
  3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You can't let a guy who's doing a very bad job, keep his position because you feel sorry for him, we all have losses in life. It's like the military, you want the captain out of the chair, make him an admiral in charge personnel paperwork, problem solved. They should make Mchale a scout or something, anything to get him out of the chair.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Fans don't gotta scream cuss words at him just put the pressure on him. Let him know we care about defense... motivate him to do better motivate him out of that nonchalant attitude. Screaming what kind of play was that or what kind of defensive set was that will either get him to hold himself accountable on a higher degree or hold the players accountable on a higher degree.

5. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I get that. But to go as far as screaming at him in order to get fired during home games? Do you agree with this?

6. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Oh trust me, most fans do throw profanities at him. Don't tell me you haven't come across the term "**** Mchale" or "Die McHale" during the season.

7. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Once again, if you read the article it states that he has already been optioned for one more year. There is no debate as to whether he will be here next year; he will be the coach next season.

What we should be debating is candidates for a lead assistant-type position.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What makes you think he doesn't care? The Rockets have a bunch of young, immature players, and their "best" player is an absolute sieve on defense. Moreover, the Rockets are trying to play an up-and-down style. I don't think its as easy as you make it out to be to get the players to play better on defense simply through motivation. A coach can scream defense all he wants, but at some point the players have to be self-motivated.

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This^, after Mchale lost his daughter I fully expected him to resign, but it didn't happen. Last year we didn't expect much and got to the playoffs so it was fine. This year, you could tell at the beginning of the year that the team wasn't responding to him, they were pretty much running things themselves, which they did a pretty god job because they are talented, but that doesn't work in the playoffs. You need someone of authority that young players listen to, to get you focused when your mind is off during tough games.

A lot of people were saying this about Mchale and got shot down, Mchale ain't the type of coach this team needs, we need a Jerry Sloan, a Pop type of coach, Lionel Hollins, Mark Jackson someone who commands attention.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Oh Hell no! we are not the Lakers or Pacers, we actually have respect for people even when they are doing a bad job, I'm just saying he shouldn't be the coach, we are gonna waste another year.

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Nothing is official until its official.

Both Feigan and CSN do NOT work for the Rockets, their words are not final.

12. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

We're on the same page then, sir. I was only replying to the post who was asking fans to scream/voice out their displeasure directly at McHale during our home games. Was not raised that way.

I completely understand the frustrations being that i am a Rockets diehard as well. I simply wouldn't go that far. Especially after all that he's been through the past coulle of years. I'm not saying we should give him a pass for it but a little compassion by at least being civil in person wouldn't hurt. At the end of the day, we should always remember that this is just basketball.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Jerry Sloan: A hell of a coach in a different era. His total control style no longer works in the modern NBA. There is a reason he was let go in Utah and could not get another job. Further, he is very old.

A Pop type: Good luck with that, I have never seen another coach like Popovich.

Lionel Hollins: The same guy that was viewed as a joke until a few years ago? The same coach that was replaced with a rookie coach without a drop off?

Mark Jackson: The same coach that didn't put in heavy hours? That ran easy practices? That had numerous off the court issues? That leaned heavily on his assistants and then refused to give the credit? The same coach that purposely caused a fracture in the coaching staff? No thanks.... correlation and causation are not the same. The Warriors are good because of their players, not they head coach.

McHale is commanding and has strong leadership ability, that isn't his problem. His weakness is experience and a lack of X's and O's.

14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Lopez told no lies.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How do i get to "i'm a girl" status?

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Ladyparts would be a good start. :p

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I don't know how much Mchale cares as a coach but as fans most of us care a hell of a lot. With Mchale I also don't care about him screaming or shouting literally and thinking that is the solution. We need him to COACH on a higher level strategy wise offensively and defensively and in crucial situations and possessions of games. That's all... we need him to take control of the team and the locker room and coach this team to at least have a championship caliber identity to stand for and stand by. EXCUSE my run on sentences I'm on my cell phone. If McHale cannot do this because he sucks then it is what it is fire him but if it's because Morey wants it that way then we simply won't win. Don't tell me that's too much to ask for of Mchale or any coach that coaches this team.

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I wish we had a coach that would put the players in our team in check... Our guys need to be challenged not patted on the back and told next year we got it F that.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

Pics or it didn't happen.

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The type of coach you hire should be based on the type of system you want to run and what kinds of players you have. I think it's widely accepted by most people at this point that Kevin McHale is not a particularly skilled coach when it comes to X's and O's or in-game adjustments. The only real positive attribute I ever hear is that he's good at maintaining team chemistry and massaging egos.

But we also know now that the Rockets have a young, immature team that at many times(and in particular during the playoffs) has trouble focusing for 48 minutes, doesn't execute well late in games, is lazy on the defensive end, and has a difficult time following instructions(witness the final play of Game 6).

Will some of these things fix themselves simply with the passage of time? Maybe, but that's a dangerous approach to take. Most players need direction of some kind, no matter how talented they are. I don't think James Harden is going to take it upon himself to become a great defensive player. He needs someone to push him. I don't think Dwight Howard will decide one day that he likes running PNR plays on offense. He needs to be told to do this. I don't think it's in Jeremy Lin's nature to slow the F down on offense late in games and run a set play(or God forbid call a timeout). He needs guidance from the sidelines.

You get the idea. I could list bad habits of every Rocket player, but the bottom line is they're not going to correct them without some assistance from their coaching staff. And all I want to know is why anyone thinks in his 6th year overall dating back to Minnesota, Kevin McHale is suddenly going to turn into that kind of leader?