1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason options: Point Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WestendMassive, May 6, 2014.

?

What move do you want to see at PG for the Rockets?

1. Offload Lin & Jones, sign Lowry

124 vote(s)
    33.2%
  2. Trade Lin & Jones for Rondo

155 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. Sign Patty Mills with the MLE

22 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Sign Aaron Brooks for peanuts

24 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. Other (please specify in thread)

49 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

i'd take derek fisher.

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

LOL.... He can't even stand being within the perimeter of the city. The city still remembers:

[​IMG]

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

ESPN's Chad Ford had an article regarding the top PG in the coming drafts.

According to his mock draft, he had the Rockets picking at 25 and select Rodney Hood from Dule - a SG. While having the Clippers selecting Shabazz Napier (PG from UConn) at 28.

If the Rockets failed to sign any impact PG from the FA or via a trade, as strong as this draft goes and if Shabazz will be really available at 25, I believe Morey will go for him than anything else.

He is a 4 yr senior and definitely a better fit for the Rockets.

4. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

You mean the guy that was offered a contract and turned it down to play in Phoenix because he doesn't like Houston, humidity, and Clutchfans? Why don't we get the sun and the moon to play for the Rockets. I'm sure that would be a night and day difference over what we currently have.

1 person likes this.
  5. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

I'm not going to argue with you about outselling jersey than Duncan.

Pay attention to court side ads. Don't reply to me by saying that those Chinese ads were due to Yao Ming.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I suggest you do some homework first before going further to embarrassing yourself.

Alright lest talk about the Chinese sponsorship that the Rockets were getting the last season in 2014.

Did you know that one of the worlds biggest cellphone manufacturer ZTE (a Chinese company) became the major Rockets sponsor just last season?

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...e-Partnership-Consumer-Marketing#.U2p7ro3QccA

Oh, see how much money Lin had bought to Les now?

Check the news, and then ask yourself, WTF, why Chandler Parsons being the spokesman for ZTE but not Lin? A Chinese company will prefer Parsons over Lin from the Rockets?

Oh btw, do you know what shoes that Chandler Parsons is currently wearing?

PEAK, another Chinese company / brand, which ads you can see everywhere in NBA games courtside nowadays.

Hell yeah, Lin made all this happened in NBA.

1 person likes this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Where did you get that? Or is my sarcasm detector broken?

8. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Yes, I do homework.

You are delusional if you think Chinese fans like Parsons for his basketball, or that he got the endorsements because he attracted Chinese fans.

As I learned, the ranking of Chinese fan size is like this: Lakers (Kobe fans), Heat (Lebron fans), Rockets, Thunders (Durant fans).

Yao fans stuck when Yao retired. Without Lin sticking around, I could see it fading faster. It's business, but I'll expect you saying who cares as a fan.

1 person likes this.
  9. goyao11

goyao11 Member

I think we've had this discussion many times on CF. The answer varies wildly depending on your valuation of Lin's potential and whether it can be realized on this team. Lin has the talent, but we don't know whether he will have the opportunity. Perhaps PG is just a position that is not valued on this team, and in that case, anything except the cheapest option is overpaid.

I think that is a mistake, and we can't rely on Harden to consistently dominate as shown in the playoffs. However, you can debate this point as well.

Ramon Sessions is by no stretch of the imagination a better player than Lin - he might be a cheaper, safer alternative that frees up a little bit of money for another player, but he does not have nearly the same game-breaking ability that Lin has.

Essentially it comes down to:

- if Lin is used the way he was used this year (ball-watcher, third/fourth ballhandler, inconsistent minutes), then yes, he is overpaid.

- if Lin is used properly as the secondary ballhandler and continues to grow, 8M is not overpaying him.

10. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Sessions is one of the best drivers in the league literally thats all he did in Charlotte,and he could finish at the rim and could dish as well,which is what Lin is really inconsistent at. Lin may be a overall better player but Session is like a tad bit behind Lin,and cheaper.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

This will be Lin's first year as a starter when he's _____ and he's only _____ without _____ compared to ______ at the same age. OMG the potential.

Rnse, repeat, ad nauseum.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Aaaand Lowry comes back to Houston because? Im pretty sure he is in no big hurry to rejoin the team and coach who shipped him off.

13. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

You're joking right?!?!? I stopped reading when you said jones plays like a 7 footer? Did you watch jones in the playoffs? He was outclassed in every facet of the game. Listen, I think jones is a great rotational player but he isn't a starting pf on a championship team. Secondly, we can't wait for him to develop. We have a 2-3 year window with Howard. He is already 28 and completed his 10th year in the nba. Next year he will be 29 playing in his 11th season. We don't have time for players to develop, we need to compete NOW!

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't know if anybody's noticed, but Dragic and Isaiah Thomas have absolutely identical stats, except for shooting percentages.

Isaiah Thomas

72 games, 34.7 mins, 20.3 PPG, 2.9 RPG, 6.3 APG, 1.3 SPG, .453 FG%, .349 3PT%, .850 FT% and 3.0 turnovers.

Goran Dragic

76 games, 35.1 mins, 20.3 PPG, 3.2 RPG, 5.9 APG, 1.4 SPG, .505 FG%, .408 3PT%, .760 FT% and 2.8 turnovers.

Crazy how identical the stats are right? lol

The only difference is Dragic shoots 5% better from the field, and 6% better from the 3 point line. Thomas also shoots 9% higher then Dragic on free throws. Another difference, Thomas is 25 and has only been in the league for 3 years. Dragic is 28 and has been in the league for 6 years.

Thomas is restricted, and interestingly, if rudy gay decides to opt in for his 19 million dollars next season (good possibility) that would put the kings roughly at 68 million in salary. If we were to offer IT a 8-9 million dollar contract, it might get a little interesting. Also, the king's plan to have a big 2015 free agency, when they will only have 31 million in salary guaranteed, they might pass of resigning IT on the possibility of landing 1 or two max or close the max type players to pair up with Cousins.

15. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

What you say is somewhat true (Doc River leaving part was more Ainge) but you have to realize even with all that he came out and lead the league in assist for 2 years and 1 time for steals and was named All-Defensive 4xs team. What this tells me is that he does not need plays ran for him in order to get his. His defense creates his offense.

Rondo is not a good shooter at all but what he does on offense is get into the paint and distribute the ball and makes sure everyone is where they are suppose to be and I'm not saying Rondo is some great guy that is going to get along with the guys just swell. To me that is not what we need. We need somebody that is going to go out there and get the job done. Rondo has proven he can and will do that.

Question to ask yourself is how did the Celtics look when Rondo wasn't there after he tore his ACL? I'll tell you how they looked >>>>Lost in the Eastern Conference playoffs 1st round to the New York Knicks (2-4) Kinda like the Rockets this year.

By the way, after Perkins was traded in the 10-11 season they went to finals and lost to LA in 11–12 lead by Rondo.

#195 ballplayer, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  16. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

I like this plan!

17. sutton

sutton Member

Anybody but Lin, Lin will get his "out of jail card".

Then, peace be upon CF.

1 person likes this.
  18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

He led the league in assists b/c he's a ball-dominant pg who controlled the offense.

And what it tells me is that he's a poor locker room presence. And considering how young our roster is, that's the last thing we need.

And what happens in the playoffs when defenses sag off him and force him to shoot jumpers? At that point, he becomes a liability.

What's your point? By that time, Rondo was a ball-dominant pg who ran the offense. Of course they're going to look lost when he's suddenly taken out of the equation, especially since they didn't have any other true pg's on the team.

Everything in this statement is incorrect.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If all else fails, watch out for Rodney Stuckey with the MLE.... who knows maybe they dont even have to use the full MLE. Something between the Mo Williams contract, and the Corey Brewer contract.

Stuckey isn't a bad option to hold down the fort, and potentially be a backup if you find a long term solution later on down the road.

20. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

You don't know anything about Ramon Sessions. Admit it. Aside from what krizzle schooled you on.

I'm sorry, but your analysis is just a little naive. Lin is nowhere near talented enough to be given the responsibilities on an NBA team you're suggesting.

1 person likes this.