1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Lobbying for Carmelo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, May 6, 2014.

1. Wommy

Wommy Member

No to Love?? Really?

2. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

The guy just went through his worst season as an NBA player and did not explode on the inept coaching staff, the terrible ownership and front office, or on garbage players like Raymond Felton. Its safe to say his "cancer" reputation his behind him.

3. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

Imagine having TWO James Hardens on defense. Yea doesn't look too good. Carmelo is in that point of his career where he is desperate for a championship and will raise his play in the playoffs like Dwight.

4. Wommy

Wommy Member

But we are talking about Defense here, are you saying you will choose Melo over Love because of his D?

5. Asian Sensation

Injury prone, hasn't been to the playoffs, no defense, expensive. Ain't nobody got time for that.

6. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

Their both terrible on D so I'd rather go with the person that is hungrier for a championship rather then someone who just wants to play in the playoffs for the first time in his career.

7. Wommy

Wommy Member

It makes sense and I am not a big fan of neither of them. But like many others have said, PF is the most glaring spot we have right now on this team. It was really difficult watching T Jones getting pushed around and out rebounded in the playoffs.

8. bonny1

bonny1 Member

I just don't see melo can win a championship as a leader. If he comes, we gonna have problems in locker room. Someone has to step back. I don't think melo can do that.

1 person likes this.
  9. Dabeezneez

Dabeezneez Member

The rockets need a point guard. Not melo

10. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

why not get rondo or lowry and a decent pf? why doest it have to be 3 stars on a team to win a championship. ever since miami formed the big 3 now we keep bringing the idea of 3 superstars. dirk won a championship with good role players against those three superstars.

11. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

3 seconds left and Harden passes to Rondo... Wow that would be nice

12. Doktor Mndbndr

Carmelo was always a very low probability acquisition. He wants the following:

(1) To receive a Kobemax salary, in full. His recently stated willingness to accept a discount - in my opinion - applied only to bringing someone like Lebron aboard the Knicks, and not as a general change of attitude.

(2) To stay in New York or a big city like Los Angeles or Chicago.

(3) To play on a winning team.

He wants all three. Houston is looking bad on (1) and (2).

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

dirk never had a dynasty. You want to win more than one.

14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

If we at him at stretch 4, then I say yes.

But we rely can't afford to put him on the perimeter defensively with James Harden.

15. Orange

Orange Member

Blah blah there's always the idiots who don't want the superstars on their team. There were anti harden and Dwight guys too.

1 person likes this.
  16. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Seriously if we got Melo or Love, who gives a damn about their defensive woes? We would be scoring at such a high rate & in so many different ways that the effort we gave in the first round would be good enough for 60 wins with a big 3 of Howard, Harden & Melo.

If we had Melo in the first round vs Portland we would've had enough offence to take the series in 5...

If we had Love, that rebound in game 1 & game 4 (The Lin rebound) would've been in his hands, the floor would've been spread giving Howard more room on the block & Harden bigger alleys to drive...again we would've won, as long as the refs were fair.

17. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

We already have one of the best. His name is James Harden.

We need a player that can play without the ball in his hands.

18. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I don't understand why you fellas prefer Rondo over Love. Not that i would hate it if we get him or anything i mean that would still be an awesome acquisition but i will not pick him over Kevin Love. Not even close in my book. Especially on this team and what we're trying to run.

Here are some of my issues with Rondo:

- Needs the ball in his hands almost all the time to be effective. Harden does as well.

- Mediocre shooter from mid range and FT line, bad from 3pt area. We'll have the worst FT shooting Center-Point Guard combo in the league

- We already have Patrick Beverley who will only get better from here on out. Getting Rondo would mean Bev will only have 15-18mins of playing time left at the point

- Harden would still run plays and good luck watching Rondo spotting up for threes ala Bev and Lin

Fact is, if Lin gets traded, we'd still have a very good point guard in Beverley. Harden plays the point for us as well. On defense, Rondo's awesome i get it. But we already have Bev.

Carmelo can be lights out at any given time and take over basketball games.

Dwight-Love front court would be scary! Rebound, pick and rolls, pick and pops galore!

19. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I want Love than Melo...he gives us double2x rebounding and points...

20. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Agreed. We'd literally and i mean LITERALLY own the rebounding department. Imagine all the 2nd chance points we will get with Dwight and Love battling underneath for us.

You think Lillard-Aldridge pick and pop was tough to defend? Wait till you see what damage a Harden-Love pick and pop will do to this league considering that Love has deeper range than LMA.

Same thing with Melo, that guy can flat out take over basketball games. He's lethal in almost any spot on the floor. An elite spot up shooter, elite playmaker, and can also do serious damage at the post. He just fits our system. A legit superstar, period.

Rondo would only make sense to me if we didn't have a Patrick Beverley. Remeber, we'd almost likely lose Chandler Parsons in any trade involving these stars. If you get Rondo, it would leave a huge question mark at our PF and SF positions while Beverley would be relegated to the bench.