1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was it a Mistake for Beverly to Start at PG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rev1274, May 3, 2014.

1. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

Well, whoever is the team doctor had Bev in the hospital for 3 (or more days). Would guess he got more than one second opinion about his flu. That must be a nasty flu. Yes, I got the real flu once and ran fever for 8 days straight. I've been a big believer in flu vaccines since.

The real question here is:

Is Pat Bev going to require offseason surgery on his knee?

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Beverley should have been the starter. He's better with the other starters. Lin is not a starter. Lin is better than most teams back up PG, and that's why Lin has such a great opportunity coming off the bench.

Lin can play heavy minutes and do lots of things for this Rockets. But with the Rockets personnel he doesn't fit with the other starters.

The whole team is young. I'd love to keep most of these guys together and let them grown into a mature contender together. I may not get my wish, but that's what I'd like.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not that unusual to run a high fever for 7-10 days with a virus. You can lower the fever (101 is probably already lowered through med), but the virus will run it course and there isn't much you can do about it.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Bev starting isn't a mistake. He's a better fit with the starter.

Harden playing PG and SG role I think is a mistake. Lin playing spot up shooter role I think is a mistake. Not developing PnR game for Harden and Lin I think is a mistake. Not developing your bench I think is a mistake. Not playing DMO early on or in the playoff I think is a mistake. And not holding everyone accountable on defense I think is a huge mistake.

5. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Game 2 he unecessarily fouled in the closing seconds giving the Blazers 2 points to win. Game 3 he ran the ball down court down without knowing we were up and missed a layup giving the Blazers a open 3 sending the game to overtime. Game 4 he gets a rebound late in the game, but instead of call timeout, he decides to run the baseline and gets the ball stolen leading to a 3 sendin the game to overtime (again). Had he just made the simple basketball each game play we'd prolly be advancing to the 2nd round. Your eyes only see what they want too. Jeremy Lin's basketball awareness is that of a high school freshman

6. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Lillard should have started not Bev.

7. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

This, sad that our bench was basically Lin and Daniels, nobody else contributed anything or didn't get a chance too

Sad that Lin and harden last year were number 2 ranked backcourt in the league and this year we were ranked 11

8. Play07

Play07 Member

If you wanted Lin traded then starting him was the best thing, he came out strong preseason after working on his game, he averaged 6 assist last yr with asik, this year would've been 7-8 with Howard catching them passes and developing chemistry.

Him coming off bench for $8-15mil next yr makes it harder to trade him and we still had same results as last yr. so for potential trade (cap space) & maybe better playoff success yes Lin should've started.

9. Dementium

Dementium Member

I think you see what you want to see. Like many people have said his overall rating for the post season is probably a B.

And to your point about the 2nd round, if Harden had shown up or McHale had done a better job we would be there too.

10. Dementium

Dementium Member

For some reason Lin was a big part of the 2nd best back court last year then suddenly hes not even worth being on the bench.

11. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Yes, you are correct.

12. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

I don't think either Beverly or Lin is/was the right PG for the Rox.

Yes, Bev was a trooper to play after his injuries and with his fever in the playoffs. But honestly, Beverly is not that talented a PG. Lin meanwhile, just doesn't look "comfortable" at the point.

PG is where the Rox seriously need to upgrade in the offseason.

theSAGE

13. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

A lot of people here don't care about that or truth man. They just love Beverley, don't care much for Lin or his fan base, and therefore see what they want to see as to what they consider what is best for the team.

Starting Beverley gave Harden and Parsons false confidence that they didn't have to focus more on their defense, and could focus more on their offense. In the end, that is exactly what sent this team home for the summer/end of season.

If they bring back McFAIL, expect to see the same thing between them starting Bev and marginalizing Lin's potential, unless they hopefully trade Lin and get another starting PG.

14. Hardensway

Hardensway Member

And he was very important for us to win 2 games on this series. Lin for that hustle assist to Daniels for the last shot and that stellar game in game 5, the easiest win the rockets had. Harden, our supposed superstar on the other hand...

And of course pb on that blown assignment on lillard for the last shot...

Oh and lillard having stellar games throughout

15. FANfrom86toNow

^THIS^

And, starting the TT with Lin as PG was our chance to have a 60 win season and go to at least the WCF...IMHO.

16. ossim

ossim Member

Lin needs more time with the second unit. Injuries made for no lack of consistency in the rotation because he was playing with the starters as much as he was with the bench. His skill set would lend itself to create easier shots for guys like Asik, Casspi, Garcia, and Dmo. Just needs a better defined role from the guy pretending to be the head coach.

17. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Fail thread.

1) Bev was sick

2) Bev playing injured.

18. FANfrom86toNow

Bev was hurt or sick for a good part of the regular season as well. You could say that his small 6ft frame body is not built to be a starting PG in the NBA and playing as many minutes as he has. He is young and it was his first full season in the NBA, but his body couldn't hold up.

I don't think Lin got any slack from a lot of posters last year when he was hurt during the playoffs. You either bring it or you don't. He didn't.

19. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

I read some of the comments, and I'll elaborate.

In the playoffs, I think Lin should have started for those sick games, but, I'm not sure if it would make a HUGE difference because Lin went intot he game pretty early anyway. In terms of starting in general, I think Bev was the choice to start because they need a person on the 2nd unit.

If they did not have Dwight, last year's starting line up of Lin and Harden and Asik and Parsons works well because Asik does not need many touches.

Having Dwight and Parsons and Harden - Lin makes a better fit off the second unit.

20. naesoon

naesoon Member

I don't understand, if it's true that Morey was trying to trade Lin, why couldn't he just let Lin show his best strength durng the games so that Lin's value would go up? Lin is better with the ball in his hands, so why limit his touches and minutes?