1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Headline: “JEFF VAN GUNDY FIRED!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, May 5, 2007.

1. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

BUMP! I remember it like yesterday, all the criticism Van Gundy got back in the days; boring offense, don't know how to coach offense etc etc.. I think the criticism has the same tonality as the criticism on McHale nowdays..

So my question to you is: why do you want Van Gundy back as our head coach?

2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Because Clutchfans is full of knee jerkers.

3. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

because clutchfans have selective memory and like to complain...
    and JVG has since become a lovable TV personality as a commentator

1 person likes this.
  4. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Because we actually have good role players now and he won't have to depend on 2 players scoring 75 of the 85 points we would put up.

5. joesr

joesr Member

Yeah I remember the slow offense. I remember playing Yao so many damn minutes. I like JVG and his defense though. I like his commentaries with ESPN.

If D'Antoni is a fast pace coach why would he not be a good coach for us? I don't think I would like it though being his defense has been known to suck

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I want the other Van Gundy, the one who can do offense with defense

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I dont want him back.

People have short and selective memory.

Gundy's coaching against the Jazz was a disaster. The team set multiple embarrassing low records during that run.

Sloan b**** slapped him that series.

8. dookiester

dookiester Member

To be fair, that roster doesn't compare favorably to this roster. But I don't think JVG would be able to take this team to the next level either. He's probably change the defensive identity, but at the expense of our offensive prowess.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I like JVG cause it had discipline and defense.The stubborness, the small rotation, the no rookie development, the putting Yao ming on carlos boozer.

No, I don't want him back. Maybe as an asst. coach.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Is this what we're doing today?

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

JVG had to work with the pieces he got. Sure he convinced Dawson to sign his washed up Knicks retreads, but Dawson was an idiot for acquiescing, and ruining or cap In the process. Finally, TMac was missing a heart and Yao his health. Jvg was a bad fit at the time but for this team with this roster and our level of expectation he once again is better than what we got. The only question is, would JVG be willing to listen to the advanced stats or not?

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Roster? Gundy was a staunch supporter of Alston and Juwon, the two guys that brought the team down.

Stubborn is as stubborn does.

13. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Not me. Shouldn't have even opened it.

14. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I personally do not. I think SVG would be a perfect fit here and I think JVG has been very subtle about campaigning it for a while now.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Didn't Dwight publicly voice his disdain for SVG in his Orlando days?

That's gotta be awkward if SVG is brought on.

16. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

They don't need to bring JVG back. It isn't going to happen anyway so its a mute point.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think JVG's time with that roster was done, but I also think he would be good for the current roster.

DD

18. SevenMinuteAbs

Isn't it...moot?

1 person likes this.
  19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Alston took the Magic to the NBA Finals.

Juwan sucks but the other options were the likes of Stromile Swift, Mo Taylor and Ryan Bowen. Probably should have played Chuck Hayes more-- and eventually he did-- but Chuck's got his own issues.

JVG was replaced by supposed offensive genius Adelman and Adelman's team basically played at the same pace with the same offensive efficiency with Yao and McGrady (and later Yao and Artest). The team' top guys just were not built for a "fast offense."

And remember which Rocket started at PG for Adelman until he go traded in 2009?

JVG didn't have that much control on the roster. Does he look like the kind of guy to lobby for Stromile Swift? As for the old Knicks, those are low cost moves made when the team didn't have assets to work with. No different than Morey's acquisition of Garcia, Casspi, Hamilton this year. Not like that the team chose Mark Jackson, Clarence Weatherspoon or Rick Brunson when a substantially better player was available for the minimum wage or whatever the Rockets had to offer in a trade (Moochie for Spoon was the deal).

Developing young players? Which young player did the Rockets have to develop back then? The ONLY 1st round pick that the team ever made during that time was Luther Head and the team went as far with him as they could. The other young guys on the team include Yao Ming and Chuck Hayes, both of them played valuable minutes and improved. There was Kirk Snyder and he was crazy. Swift? Not so young and not so bright. Boki Nachbar maybe but it's not like he did much developing with other teams, either.

Who exactly was the high upside youngster that JVG just wouldn't play?

1 person likes this.
  20. Mr Chuck Norris

I do remember game 3, When McHale put in daniles and JVG on commentarty saying what is McHale doing playing this guy.

WE know what happened after that. So I dont think our young players would get the opportunity under JVG. SVG on the other hand started a Rookie in the NBA finals....THey really should've won