1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale post game. Thinks D was perfect on last shot.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by theangrycanary, May 3, 2014.

1. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden actually brought defensive effort this game. I am not so sure Harden being in the game was a problem. The bigger issue appears to be guys not knowing if/when they would switch, having Jones guarding the inbound pass when there wasn't time on the clock for a pass back, etc.

I rip on Harden's defense often, but be brought it tonight. Even locked down for a few possessions.

2. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Did he say Lou Williams?

3. MikeMania

MikeMania Member

I think this is where experience also comes in with our young roster. I'm willing to bet a good amount of the players on the floor thought 0.9 was impossible, that the game was pretty much in the bag. They were lax, didn't want to foul, Harden said more than he had to and called for that unnecessary switch...

The coaching was bad, but I also don't think the players put in all their effort. There's no learning experience like a 30ft buzzer beater though.

4. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Lol I can't even get mad. This guy is not a head coach.

5. Hmm

Hmm Member

and thus with those words... the remaining McHale apologist... takes his last breath... and dies...

Brilliant...

6. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

We need a change for sure... It just worries me seeing as he was a BIG reason Dwight signed! Don't wanna piss off your players, especially Dwight!

7. Jt29

Jt29 Member

Can everyone who follow morey twitter keep sending "pls fire mchale!!!" Twit. Keep twitting until morey GET the message. Flood his email, colleagues email, write blogs, columns, every website forums, suggestion box, anything u can think of.

The rockets deserves better than this. What a waste of talent.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

In fairness to McHale(and I don't use that phrase lightly), he didn't say that. He basically acknowledged they blew that play. What I have a problem with is that he said they just got beat because of Lillard being too quick. You're allowed to cover him with more than one guy. It's a risk in that you're leaving other players open, but honestly I could live with a Matthews or Batum buzzer-beater.

9. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To be fair, McHale didn't say the D was perfect. He said it was the call he wanted and that Lillard just flat out beat the defense. No screens. He just out ran the defender from the first step. He said it was poor execution.

10. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

why does mchale never take responsibility?

11. Hmm

Hmm Member

lol...

12. moose

moose Member

does this guy ever take responsibility.

13. topinjs

topinjs Member

Did you notice Portland winning 4-3? :D
    McHale is not the only one that's clueless.

14. theangrycanary

exactly. he is saying that having parsons on lillard was what he wanted. no switches was what he wanted. jones on the inbound, back to play, positioned to take away the inbound for a two point play...

all what he wanted.

and that lillard just happened to get free with a quick first step.

but that's the problem. Everyone in the universe knows lillard has a quick first step! And Parsons doesn't! So why would you have parsons stand outside lillard and tjones stand inside and let lillard run out to the three point line and shoot the fricking ball? The only play that would have been worse defensively would have been to just literally put no one on lillard. thats it. thats the only thing i can think of.

15. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

16. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Although no screens were technically set. Both Mo and Wes got in Parsons way and forced him to go around them, causing Lillard to be even more wide open.

17. kfmfe04

kfmfe04 Member

18. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Wow, I have never seen a coach more clueless than this guy

WOW, that's all I can say...:eek:

19. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I think after playing a full season under him & seeing the glaring faults in both the play calling and rotations, Dwight may have had a change of heart…

I bet he'd even welcome the Van Gundy brothers with open arms right now.

20. Code Red

Code Red Member

Great coaching..."I told them no 3s", but forgot to tell them how they should go about it. Vince Carter and Kevin Durant's made 3s were way more tough.