1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to Give Props to Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, May 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. team5

team5 Member

This I agree. Lin is not a good fit to what Rockets is trying to become, good or bad.

2. Rox23

Rox23 Member

What I don't understand about game 4 is that Bev had a big turnover too. On the last possession of the game, with like 5 seconds left, Bev dribbled straight into a double team that Mo Williams stole it..and that was the game. Your average point guard would have tossed the rock over the double team to a wide-open Harden, who might then have taken the three. People talk about the "big turnover" in a game 4, and I'm like, you mean Lin's turnover at the end of regulation (actually it was a steal), or Bev's turnover at the end of overtime.

3. ish1973

ish1973 Member

He should be coached by Pop. Parker like Lin's potential and think they are quite similar in their early years in the nba.

4. vizier

vizier Member

every time harden plays his infamous visual defense i want to hear the boos too.

5. battousai

battousai Member

I disagreed. McHale plays beverly more than Lin is due to him placing the ball in Harden's hands. We all know Harden plays ISO ball. Beverly cant create his own shots as much as Lin's capable in doing. Therefore ideally beverly is a better teammate pairing with Harden then Lin.

However, this is the playoffs, Harden hasn't show up in 4 out of 5 games. Which is bad very bad for us. McHale needs to put his rep on the line and bench his star player if he isnt producing. Lin deserves the pops and wish he could be playing a bigger role tonite as well.

6. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

It's not a balloon payment. It's a deferred payment. He has essentially been underpaid in his first 2 years by $6 million or so.

7. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Its amazing how other fans from other teams in other forums including reddit have seen the hate on Lin. Hes still developing, all the top point guards took several season to become who they are now. I'm not saying Lin is going to be the next Nash or Parker, but hes shown improvement in two off-seasons. Thats a good sign, despite playing on a team with no identity, changing roles on him, and the hate that fans really give to him. Morey was the one who gave that balloon contract, not Lin. He's not going to turn down 25 million. No one would. I've argued this before, and i still will stick to this: Mchale doesn't develop players well. Imagine other coaches taking the Rockets lineup we have now under their tutelage.

8. jonstarks

jonstarks Member

correct me if I'm wrong..

but isn't Lin getting 5-5-15 Million?

I don't know the specific legalities and terms (or how it really works) but I'm under the understanding that his pay checks say $5-$5-$15 Million and he's being counted against the salary cap at 8.3-8.3-8.3 Million, I suppose some loop hole to avoid paying him so much on his last year?

That being said, he's a pretty good player for 5Mil/yr.
    He gets all this negative press about how much he's getting paid...his big money year hasn't happened yet... no one knows what he'll do, but everyone points to that $15Mill/yr portion of his deal and says he's "garbage"...I think its unfair, and not his fault...

I believe he would've taken ANYTHING the Knicks would've offered..but they gave him no deal and said..."go test the market, see how much you're worth" and he did and he got a starters contract out of it... Morey's fault.

Additionally, I think if they knew they were going to be able to sign Harden...they never would've offered what they gave to Lin.

9. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Exactly, Lin has been severely underpaid these past 2 years. The 3 year average pay is fair for him.

10. zdrav

zdrav Member

I don't know if "severely," is the correct adverb, but it's definitely hypocritical how nobody gave credit for perhaps playing up to, or even outplaying, his $5 million contract in the first 2 years of his contract.

But now that his salary becomes $15 million, some people are suddenly willing to look at that instead of the cap hit?

Come on now.

11. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

How many $5 million players play a key role in getting their team to the playoffs for the first time in 4 years or play big in a number of key games (including against their current playoff opponent) to secure home court advantage? Answer: Not many under today's CBA.

12. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

In Game 5, Lin dis'ed "Moreyball", and shot as many floaters and midrange jumpers as I've ever recall seeing him do in a Rockets uniform. The encouraging thing is that he didn't forget how to play this way.... And he didn't give in to the hate from that turnover in Game 4. (Which I thought was an extraordinary play by Mo Williams, not a bad decision by Lin.) For maybe the first time, Rockets fans got to see how Lin played in his Knicks days, which was creating off his midrange game.

If Lin is allowed to create off his midrange game, it will make Harden and Parsons that much more dangerous, because the floor will be a lot more open when they get the ball. Harden won't have to rely on drawings fouls in order to be efficient. Not to mention relieving the physical pounding he constantly takes, because defenders would be drawn away from him.

This Rockets team has the nucleus capable of winning it all. If we can dump "Moreyball" and develop the players to play solid, fundamental half-court offense (screens and player movement away from the ball), I don't see why this team cannot become the NBA's next dynasty.

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol "Moreyball" has led us to the most efficient postseason offense.

Problem all year has been defense.