1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul George & Rasul Butler facing possible suspension from Game 7.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by IzakDavid13, May 2, 2014.

?

Will The NBA suspend Butler & George?

1. Yes.

13 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. No.

43 vote(s)
    49.4%
  3. They should, but they won't.

31 vote(s)
    35.6%
  1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Member

Rule 12, Section VII, Article (c) states:

"During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $50,000."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In one of the greatest playoff 1st rounds ever played the NBA head office faces a dilemma, do they follow their own rules & suspend Rasul Butler & Paul George for leaving the bench, (just like they suspended Boris Diaw & Amare Stoudamire in the Suns vs Spurs 2007 series) or do they look the other way?

No Paul George would be a massive hit to the struggling Pacers & tip the scales in the favour of the 8th seeded Atlanta Hawks.

By the letter of the law, it must be done...but what will the NBA do?

#1 IzakDavid13, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  2. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Member

BTW: Anyone else think that Mike Scott looks like a Pastor praying for healing by laying hands on George Hill in this photo?

[​IMG]

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

1 Timothy 5:22, Lay hands suddenly on no man...

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

No they won't, but if the NBA wants to be consistent they should. They made it clear in the Phoenix series that players can't leave the bench area and enter the court.

5. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

If they don't get suspended I will be surprised.

6. mig0s

mig0s Member

Even if they didnt stay on the bench, they didnt do **** so no, they should not be suspended.

7. AFS

AFS Member

I think the language of the rule gives them enough wiggle room to not suspend them since "vicinity of the bench" is arbitrary. It's a lose-lose situation for the league officials, though, since half the people will be upset if they are suspended and the other half will be upset if they aren't.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

I agree. You could convince me that they weren't moving towards the fight but just to the natural position their coaching staff was about to huddle them up at. Only difference is the coaches were running to the players.

9. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I'm surprised this is actually being talked about on Mike and Mike right now, personally thought it would be a non-issue. Even as a Pacer hater, I don't think he should be suspended. My guess is they will suspend Butler, but not George.

10. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

very clear to me they took 1-2 steps forward but then stepped back.
    always within the vicinity of their bench and no aggression shown.

much bigger issue should they be suspended for that, IMHO.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Rule has change since the Amare and Diaw incident. 'Vicinity' is rather subjective and was changed to allow for an out in these sort of situations.

Be extremely surprised if there is suspensions.

12. pacertom

pacertom Member

Stu Jackson, the former enforcer of the rules, weighs in:

Butler suspended, George not

During George Hill @mikescott altercation @Paul_George24 @RasualButler45 leave bench. George still in vicinity, Butler is not=1 gm susp

— Stu Jackson (@StuJackson32) May 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/StuJackson32/statuses/462097716613750784

13. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Member

There is about a foot or less of distance between the feet of George and Butler. Seems ridiculous to tag one and not the other.

14. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I don't think the NBA will take action. The incident was so close to the Pacer bench and the bench is set up that just taking one step out will have a player on the floor. I think the NBA will say that the players were within the bench area. Butler could be considered of the bench area so he might get a suspension.

The NBA should technically suspend both George and Butler but I just don't see it unless this gains a lot of stream and attention.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Looking at the footage I don't think they'll be suspended, seemed more like a natural instinct to step forward a bit when a fight breaks out. They didn't participate and immediately went to the bench again, there shouldn't be any punishment.

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think you have to look at how this has been called in the past. Have players in the past been suspended for barely stepping on the court? I just want the league to be consistent.

17. heypartner

heypartner Member

I recall Amare running up the sideline to near the scorer's table. These guys merely stood up.

and i still say Amare's suspension was wrong.

18. torocan

torocan Member

Paul George won't get a suspension for one simple reason... Superstar calls.

The NBA will look for any excuse to NOT suspend a Star player or foul them out of a game. At some level, conscious or otherwise they are always aware that the fans pay to see the "stars" as much as the teams.

It's patently unfair, and if you're a player and ever got suspended for this exact infraction you would and should be upset. However, it shouldn't be surprising.

19. Rockness

Rockness Member

Come on now, nobody should be suspended, there was no fight and nobody off the bench was even close to going after anybody.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yeah except they suspended Amare before when he was a star.