1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For the first 5 playoff games, Lin's production has been closer to what could be expected than Harde

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, May 1, 2014.

Tags:
?

For the first 5 playoff games, Lin's production has been closer to what could be expected than Harde

1. True

135 vote(s)
    89.4%
  2. False

16 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I believe I did. I might be wrong, though.

2. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

Maybe per 36 number would give a better picture of their performance so far. It's not like Lin plays the same number of minutes Harden does.

3. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

yo zboy, can you respond to my previous post. in terms of expectations?

i feel like everyone on this board dodges any sort post against their logic.

im not really talking about you though. i think for the most part you're decently fair on most of the players.

4. Andrew Wiggins

I dont care if harden is shooting 40% from three, why is he taking so many? Most of them arent even good shots. If he wqs getting good looks at the basket shooting ten threes then fine. But if that were the case we would have blown them out every single game because that would take some ****ty defense.

5. dantian

dantian Member

The Q is, why it took game 5 to allow Lin to run more plays while in other games he was ordered to be the 4th ball handler behind Harden, Parsons and Bev, just as in the regular seasons? And anticipating PO type tight defense on Harden, why do you want to demoralize Lin in that playmaking role but promote Parsons/Bev instead!:rolleyes:

6. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Harden's 7 more shot attempts to get the same amount of points is very sore on the eyes. Also three more attempts from three to hit his normal amount of threes per game and a decrease in free throw attempts show that he is settling for jump shots a rather than attacking the basket. Attacking the basket is James Harden's game as it generates easy baskets and free throw and the problem is that he is not playing his game. You can credit Portland's defense, sure I guess, but there is something missing from Harden that we all saw and got excited about during the season. He doesn't have the fire, it seems.

To agree with OP, Lin's production is closer to what was expected of him than what was expected of Harden. That doesn't excuse some of the plays and mistakes Lin has done throughout the playoffs, but it should not overshadow Harden's poor series so far.

Make no doubt, if we lose this series, Harden and McHale are going to be the prime suspects and targets of questions and remarks. Just as if we win this series and go far in the playoffs, it will most likely be due to Harden and Howard's brilliance rather than the play of a role player like Lin.

On a side note, if the Rockets could have just shot their average from 3, this series would be over by now. When everyone not named Daniels is shooting around 25% from three, it's no wonder we are down 3-2.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

False on defense.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Lin's defense has actually been better than I expected it.

9. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Those are terrible % for any player but especially for our franchise player. I don't doubt Harden is a big time player but he needs to be more aggressive and force Portland to play his game. We won't win anything if Harden can't adjust.

For us to go anywhere, it has to be Howard and Harden. Lin, Parsons, Bev can be the supporting cast but everything starts and ends of Howard and Harden.

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I don't really get the point of this thread. I would never expect harden to put up 11ppg. Maybe shooting percentage wise, but 25% on 3s is a little low.

Harden might be completely struggling with his shot, but we are literally one Lin boneheaded play from being up 3-2 in the series.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

...or one more made shot by Harden, who is shooting 34.7 % for the series.

12. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

That is fine but why compare it with Lin? Why not Asik or Parsons or Jones?

13. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

You have to realize...that Portland plays team defense. Lin can drive past Lillard and Mo, but they are met with LA and Lopez. that's when Lin's layup fails. Portland has played better defense.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Because there are no threads up here for a long time saying "**** Chandler Parsons" or "Boo Terrence Jones" or "Other than game 5, has Terrence Jones played any solid defense on LaMarcus Aldridge, true or false".

1 person likes this.
  15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Missed shots don't bother me as much as dumb turnovers. Sometimes they go in, sometimes they don't. We did enough to win that game, that play was killer.

16. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Chucking it up from three with nobody to rebound inside, and missing it, is akin to a turnover.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yeah, it was incredibly frustrating. I was literally screaming at the screen.

But of course, every missed shot that is not rebounded by the own team leads to a change in possession just like a turnover does. So I am pretty sure that one could relatively easily determine who caused most changes in possession for the benefit of the other team (while not even pretending to try hard to prevent a basket afterwards or to get the ball back).

18. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

I don't even care if Harden takes the last shot or takes more attempts. I'm a Lin fan, but I actually want the ball in Harden's hands because he has been clutch in the reg season. however, it's just that his shot selection is so horrifying that it makes people doubt him in the playoffs. He sort of has tunnel vision right now. All he has to do is just take better shots and pass the ball to keep the defense guessing. I thought he played great at the end of the 4th and he didn't even have to take tough shots (gm5). Though I thought he deferred a little TOO much at times, but in the end it worked out.

I can't emphasize enough that it's a team game and that just 2 people alone can't win it on their own.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Haven't seen that too often from him this series. I would like to though, it means that he's confident.

I'll live with missed shots from Harden, Jeremy etc. Shoot with confidence and they'll go in eventually.

Harden has made some clutch plays. Game 1 got us the lead with seconds left. Game 3 hit some clutch shots at the end of regulation and overtime. Game 4 gave us the lead with seconds left and forced overtime with a nice play. Game 5 iced the game with some big shots.

At this point I still don't trust anyone else with the ball in their hands.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Usually missed shots allow some guys to get back and somewhat set the defense. They don't usually lead to a scramble play.

I know throughout the game there were opportunities to play better. Rockets still haven't played a good game yet this series. But to be up two with less than a minute left despite all of that then to throw it away is frustrating.

Not sure why you're picking on James here though. He's the one that got us that lead in Game 4 in the first place. He's made good plays in crunch time in most of the games. Everyone knows he's having a bad series, but we've still been in good positions to win despite that. And he's still putting up 25/5/6 just not as efficiently.