1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark this series

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 1, 2014.

?

Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark this series

1. True

282 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. False

231 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No, the question isn't ever in the series has Lin done a great job. It is quite clearly... Before Game 5, Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark this series.

Inserting the word ever is your addition, it didn't exist in the question. Apparently you can't seem to grasp the difference.

2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

FIFY

I predict there will be a game 7.

3. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Are we seriously all bickering over such subjective matters and semantics? The poll question can be read both ways. Some can read it as whether Lin's ever done it and some read it as overall his job as an offensive spark over the first four games. Both are reasonable interpretations -- unclear why you'd hate on the readers. Question just needs to be less vague if it wants a more accurate response (unless the vagueness was intended).

4. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Why is that so important to have a poll to give Lin a "report card"?

And now?

5. dookiester

dookiester Member

Didn't ask you if tmac was there or not but i understand that you have a physiological impulse to talk about him without prompting. So back to the topic at hand, do you think Jeremy's play had been a bigger contributing factor to the rockets losses then james harden's play? If yes, explain. If no, then explain why this thread makes more sense than a thread about how harden is underperforming. Anything less than a direct response to either of those prompts will be an admission on your part of you inability to put together a coherent assessment of basketball performance.

6. steady

steady Member

Clutch is entitled to his viewpoints. If that collides with some people's views of how the world should be "fair", and how as moderator of this forum, Clutch is somehow responsible for ensuring that Rockets debates are conducted fairly or in an unbiased manner. Well, .. maybe that is a good lesson about what it is reasonable to expect life to provide. :)

But, on other hand, regardless of identity of OP, I do not quite see the point of this thread either.

7. CometsWin

You included the word ever to change the meaning of the question because it fits your prerogative. The poll question is clearly stated. I don't hate on any readers, it's the posters that lie that I have a problem with.

8. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Again your inability to read and comprehend is astounding. This is the statement clutch made, "Before game Jeremy Lin hadn't done a great job of being an offensive spark in this series" That statement leaves zero possibility that Lin EVER did a great job prior to game 5. Therefore it implies that Lin has been bad/poor/nonexistent all series long, which Clutch himself said on the Podcast. It is really simple, apparently too simple for some.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

True. Including G5, he has avg 11pts on 44% (24% 3), 4.6ast, 4.2 reb. That's solid, but not great.

Once McHale is gone, I'm sure he can be great :grin:

If the new coach is going to use Lin in the same way, might as well ship him out but not for peanuts. We need pieces that fit with the team and coach direction.

10. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

LOL srry got carried away.

Anyways thats my take on it, feel free to disagree :grin:

11. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

I've accepted that by nature this forum is skewed against Lin including Clutch, and it doesn't really bother me at this point.

Just seeing how he posts videos of Lin's mistakes in a blaming fashion but no negative videos of any other player on the Rockets is telling. Harden's numerous failed ISO's late game. Beverley's TO in overtime. Nope. But Lin's missed layup in a ROCKETS WIN gets posted.

I guess the numbers are still clear lol.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I thought there is a lot more than bad/poor/nonexistent below great? :confused:

13. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I enjoy the clutchfans site and appreciate Clutch crew's effort of founding and maintaining this great fans site. But I would say this is the worst thread I have ever seen from Clutch. I understand LOFs can be annoying at times but it's not classy to single out our BACKUP POINT GUARD to be the scapegoat especially after the great Game 5 victory. Lin played well in game 1, was mediocre in game 2-3, terrible in game 4 and bounced back nicely in Game 5. Every players are entitled to have ups and downs aren't they? If you look around our locker room you would probably say only Dwight Howard, and maybe Omer Asik played consistently well in this series. Parsons and Beverly had their own rollercoaster ride and James Harden played consistently bad considering he's our franchise player. We already have 10 threads trashing Jeremy Lin and 10 threads defending him. Why start another one?

1 person likes this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is the question "he had never in games 1 to 4 done a great job" or is it "on average over the first four games, he hadn't done a great job"?

He was certainly an offensive spark when he saved the ball in game 3 and passed it to Daniels for the game-winner. But on average, he had not been as good as we hoped.

But neither has James Harden, and I would say the gap between what could be expected based on regular season performance is much larger in James Harden's case than in Jeremy Lin's case games 1 to 4.

15. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

I almost have a feeling Clutch does this purposely for hits/web traffic. Getting LOF's riled up probably boosts viewership.

16. CometsWin

LOL It's a statement to which he asked you to agree or disagree. Now you want to splice it around in some Lin fandom war to prop up your player. He shot 33% in those four games. Did Lin EVER play great? Of course. Did Harden EVER play great? Of course. Did either of them do a great job of being an offensive spark in this series prior to game 5? Hell no.

How absurd.

17. sew

sew Member

Doubtful. He got into an argument with Old Man Rock in another thread in regards to this very poll question. He's trying to prove a point.

18. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

You mean a Rockets lost?

Because I don't know what you're talking about if you're talking about something else.

P.S.
    The blown layup was used in Clutch's article.

19. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Harden Regular Season vs Playoffs:

25.4 ppg on 16.5 shots per game. 46% FG 37% 3-Point 23.5 PER - Season
    25.4 ppg on 23.6 shots per game. 35% FG 25% 3-Point 15.2 PER - Playoffs

Same points per game on 7 more shot attempts. Look at that dip in PER.

Lin actually has a higher PER in the playoffs vs regular season 15.1 vs 14.3

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

JLin has done a solid job. Considering that he was expected to fall flat on his face by so many, he has done more than a solid job. Of course that critical mistake in G4 will forever be on him. And if we lose this series, that one mistake will be the defining moment of this series, like it or not.

Harden has done a piss poor job. Considering that he was expected to perform very well given his history with Portland, he has been awful. And that's not even thinking about what he has done on defense.