1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Healthcare in Peru

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pipe, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

I was wondering if someone could offer any informed opinions about the healthcare system in Peru. My son is traveling there (in Cusco), someone tried to rob him, and he broke his hand fending the robber off. Now they want to perform surgery to realign the broken bone. Should I have any concerns about having the surgery performed there? Thanks!

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Wow, hate to hear that. Maybe check with the consulate for advice?

3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Very sorry to hear about your son's experience. I'm glad he is okay though. From what i've read on the web, it looks like Peru's hospitals have pretty decent standards.

I would think for a broken hand that they would use a local anesthetic. I would really lean away from allowing them to use general anesthetic if I were him. Perhaps there'd be nothing to fear, but I wouldn't want to risk it overseas if I could help it.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Isn't surgery cheaper overseas?

1 person likes this.
  5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

With broken bones, it's usually necessary to fix it before it starts to heal the wrong way. Unless your kid can get back soon, I would just let them do the procedure in Peru. No reason to suspect that they'll do a poor job. But I'm not an orthopedic surgeon so I'll defer to someone with more insight.

1 person likes this.
  6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

What is your question, specifically? What are your concerns? Are you questioning the way procedures are done in other countries? Get information from the hospital or directly from the doctor performing the surgery. CALL. :cool:

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Most Foreign Doctors have completed medical school in the U.S. Or have been trained by those who have now a days especially in South America.

#7 REEKO_HTOWN, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Thanks for all the responses so far. According to information on the US Consulate website and from what I have found out from friends who live in S. America, while medical care in Lima is good, it varies in other areas especially rural areas. Physician care is at or near US standards, but hospital care lags somewhat. I don't know how quickly he needs surgery or how quickly he can get home. But right now it sounds like Lima or home, but probably not surgery in Cusco. Thanks again for the input!

9. platypus

platypus Member

I would bet that the surgery is good, the thing you need to worry about is the post op care and infections.

10. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

My experience with Peruvian people has been very bad. Sorry my post is off topic and doesn't help with your problem, but I hate the Peruvians that I have crossed paths with.

Your post poured salt on an open wound and I just had to vent.

Good luck!

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If he has a boxer's fracture and they want to put a plate and screws in it, I would have him wait. Just what I'd do if it were my kid. I know nothing about Peruvian healthcare, though. If this just happened, he probably has a week until he needs surgery.

Source: Not an orthopedic surgeon. Have worked with a bunch of orthopedic surgeons and residents.

1 person likes this.
  12. SexyButIgnorant

Like most of South America, there's great healthcare in certain areas of the country, there's terrible healthcare in others.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Do you not trust the plates and screws or the procedures to insert those when done in other countries? :confused: If so, why? Heard stories?

14. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

It is a boxer's fracture. Don't know if they need to put plates and screws in ....

15. Two Sandwiches

Never heard stories or anything, and I'm sure they're fine. In fact, I'm sure there are doctors and hospitals there that are better than their counterparts here. You just never know. It's a lot easier to look up reviews/ get recommendations on good docs here. Besides that, if there's a problem, what about followup care, etc.

It's just far riskier and scarier. If it were me, and I had a little time, I would wait. I'd let them use local anesthetic to set it, and then cast it, but I wouldbt let them do surgery.

#15 Two Sandwiches, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. Two Sandwiches

Props to your son for his right cross, then! Good luck to him. Update us.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

She was just doing a Google search, man.

18. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

So to follow up. He was very reluctant to come home, but eventually pressure from his sister and cousin accomplished what parental pressure could not (note to other CF parents heed this quote: "In all fighting, the direct method may be used for joining battle, but indirect methods will be needed in order to secure victory." Sun Tzu - The Art of War).

He had a boxer's break in the pinkie and ring fingers of his right hand. They are going to perform surgery next week to insert a pin or pins. But the most interesting part was the cast on his wrist and hand they put on in Peru. His thumb index finger and middle finger were open, but the ring and pinkie fingers were covered by the cast in a closed position. Never seen anything like it and neither had anyone at the doctor's office ... they were all astonished and taking pictures. But evidently no harm done. :)

Thanks again to all for input and don't walk alone at night unless you are sure you are in a safe place, whether Cusco or Htown.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about your son. I was in Cusco last October and felt it was really safe. I even walked alone at night a few times with no problems.

20. HPD

HPD Member

Da aids bad there