1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Props to McHale and coaching staff for making the adjustments tonight.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Apr 26, 2014.

1. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

So true what you said. I already addressed SOME of the defensive issues in my last post. So to address some of the offense; keep it simple stupid: McHale.

Harden and Lin PnR. Harden or Lin PnR with Howard and occasionally with Asik since he sets such a great pick. Harden and Lin HAVE to wait for the pick to be set before making their move so that our big men don't get any silly moving pick fouls called on them.

Just running PnR and spreading the floor with shooters, occasionally going down low to Howard when he has excellent position...and we can win this series.

It's too late with a coach that isn't good enough with X's and O's to try to implement anything else other than this.

2. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

We also need to force LMA to go to the RIGHT side of the floor. ALL his jumpers are coming from the left side. Dwight shouldn't hedge EVERY time. If the pick is being set way up top, the ball defender needs to fight through the pick. Would rather have the ball handler keep the ball rather than pass it off to LMA for a midrange jumpshot at this point.

But anyways, I'd have to watch the game again to really see what worked and what didn't.

3. reliableman

reliableman Member

There were times in the 4th that I thought we should've had Asik in there for his D. ;)

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Need more Pick and Roll.

Harden and Dwight P&R
    Lin and Harden P&R or Pick and Pop (get Lillard defending Harden)
    Lin and Dwight P&R

Portland can't stop this.

5. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

The Blazers team and the Memphis team are the only teams we should be using the twin towers. Other teams, we're good to go with Jones.

6. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

it was Sampson calling the shots during the game and guys give credit to mcfail after wins.
    once Sampson is gone and truth exposed then everyone started to bash mcfail.
    now u dont even know who is calling those shots to grind out this win but everyone started to credit mcfail again. :rolleyes:

7. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Team was desperate and Blazers may have relaxed. We still barely won which means next game we'll get smoked.

8. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Biggest move was not letting Portland keep stomping on Jones and our playoff hopes.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

McHale made the right defensive adjustments and the players actually tried on D.

But the offense still looks awkward and clunky especially in chrunch time. I really think we need a system that has more fluid ball movement. It seems that too many players catch the ball and then stop and try to survey what to do.

The ball needs to move more in my opinion. Why it doesn,t I don't know. Maybe Rick the Ruler would be good for that.

10. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

McHale called that last play. He instructed all 5 Portland players to converge onto Lin so Lin can pass the ball to Daniels whom was wide open for the winning 3.

11. torocan

torocan Member

No, we don't know who to credit at this point, that's why we're saying "McHale and Co" or "McHale and the Staff". For me it's easier than saying, "the coaching guys".

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Good adjustment by Kevin.

It took a lot of guts to put Daniels in for significant minutes including overtime.

Good call on the twin towers.

Good game by McHale.

13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Don't really understand where the praise is coming from. McHale has been as inept as ever.

Rockets haven't been able to buy a bucket from downtown this series. If a guy hits 200+ 3s in 40 odd games and he only sees the light of day because all else you've tried as failed. Sorry - but that isn't making adjustments. That's being stupid as *****.

The TT failed miserably. The only real time it didn't? Against Portland. Heaven forbid spotting them two games before going back to it.

And let's just completely ignore the numerous double digit leads we've had in games only to squander them away due to many things - one of those being absolutely mystifying line ups and substitution patterns.

You make 'adjustments' in game to stem the bleeding and body blows being taken. You don't get knocked to the ground a couple times before throwing your hands up and going to a 'last resort' (last resort here being inserting a D Leaguer for big minutes)

This guy is a flat out awful coach on a good team. If he is retained next season it will be equally as bad by Morey as attaining Harden and Howard was good.

14. steady

steady Member

2nd Q rotation with Lin/Daniels/Parsons/Jones/Asik (while Lopez, Lillard and Batum were still playing) was not a good idea.

Led to a five minute period where the Rockets scored zero points, and Blazers went from 12 down to 4 up.

15. NickKent

NickKent Member

We got lucky. Blowing then 10 point lead in the 4th was classic McHale awful defending + stagnant offense

16. zoids

zoids Member

Parson fouling out was McFail's blessing in disguise. If Mcfail is half decent, he wouldn't start Jones after game 1 seeing LMA just shot over TJones times after times like nothing there or sometimes Jones was caught in no man's land when he was trying to do half ass team defence. With Asik's D, you see Asik is always in LMA's face so he had to shoots rainbows after rainbows to get his point. That was lucky improbable shots that I can live with.

17. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I really think Mchale is gone after this. Even if they make the second round...you guys should check out this article written on the Portland site...the comments from Portland fans are pretty much that the rockets are a very talented team with a coach that doesn't develop his players. I know what your thinking: who cares what Portland fans have to say about Houston? But their observations on our team are actually not too biased. Here is a good one on our coaching staff:

[​IMG]

18. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I forgot to put the link for the site. Apologies ahead of time if someone already posted this article. It's a decent read from Portland fans.

19. Hrock

Hrock Rookie