1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aldridge is disproving Morey's theory

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gfab-babyboi, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Hmm

Hmm Member

hallelujah... people are starting to wake up...

2. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Mid range gives you championship. 3 balls ain't get you that far in the playoffs.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I think this is the first time where people have come out and agreed with me. I'm usually met with a bunch of hostility of being anti-morey whenever I say so. Maybe the majority of fans have seen enough and are being more vocal now.

1 person likes this.
  4. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

This isn't entirely true. I don't want to say that 3 pointers are bad, they are good. The need to be secondary options though. When teams can't defend you because you're offense is versatile, they will have to respect shots and you can get open 3s. It worked while Adelman was here and the last time the rockets dismantled a team in the post season.

5. OpportunityCost

I say he just needs to banned for life from helping to select another head coach. He's awesome with trades, player acquisition, and salary cap knowledge; so he should stay based off of that, BUT NO MORE HELPING TO SELECT A HEAD COACH. Not his forte.

6. Hmm

Hmm Member

Well, jtr and his ilk had the board brainwashed throughout the regular season....

I did the smart thing and waited for the playoffs.... and here we are...

7. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

They have to either chose to play a half court game or a fast paced one. I think Harden-Howard would be a great half court duo but, for that they need a new coach and GM.

8. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Some things work in the regular season but the post season is a different animal.

I thought this system would be enough to be beat Portland though.

9. torocan

torocan Member

Wow, so much ignorance in this thread.

1. Analytics is NOT opposed to shooting the mid-range, it's only opposed to people who are BAD at shooting the mid-range to shoot the mid-range. Analytics would also tell you that you shouldn't shoot the 3 if you're bad at it. If you're Canaan, shooting the 3 is GOOD. If you're Asik, shooting the 3 is BAD.

2. The Rockets only made 18 3pa in tonight's game. Our game average is 26.7 3pa. We actually shot WAY more mid-range and paint buckets than normal and far fewer 3 point attempts.

3. LMA isn't disproving anything in regards to analytics. The only thing he's proving is that if you're a good mid-range shooter you SHOULD shoot the mid-range -- which is exactly what Analytics would tell him to do.

Now continue to talk amongst yourselves...

1 person likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I miss Scola's mid range J.

He'd always get us off to a good start by hitting a couple.

11. Play07

Play07 Member

it's not that morey doesn't want the team shooting the midrange shot, it's the fact that we don't have the PLAYERS to do it. When you have a pick & pop PF it opens up soooooooo many more plays.

See my sig, I've been saying this since last year, every finals team must have a pick & pop PF option, we are the only team in west without one. Mchale does a bad job with plays but other coaches have these guys who set picks and open up so much without even have to run plays. Just old school p&r basketball !!!!!! These teams aren't doing anything special

clippers - griffen
    Spurs - duncan/diaw
    warriors - lee
    Mavs - dirk
    okc - ibaka
    trailblazers - LMA
    grizzlies - zbo/gasol
    Suns - frye/Morris

Rockets - ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

12. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Don't talk about ignorance when people like you seriously considered the Rockets championship contenders.

13. Play07

Play07 Member

My post is deep, you have to understand sets & plays...

14. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

There was this one guy, wore 23 for the Bulls back in the day, he had aite midrange. Got him a little hardware if I recall correctly.

15. Play07

Play07 Member

Harden shoots them that's not the issue we don have a PF that can, our offense is predictable

16. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

They only made "x" 3pt attemps. Do you not understand the fallacy with the assumption you are making? You act like they could make so many more...I mean you truly can't be oblivious to post season defense and how it is played at a much higher level right?

If the other team knows you are going to bully your way into the paint or pull up for a 3, they can contest your 3s all game.

CONTEXT.

If you are going to shoot bad 3s all game, in a playoff atmosphere, don't pull the "We didn't make enough 3s" argument. ---Those are difficult shots!

Here is another point.

Science.

I brought up the common sense point that shooting % decreases as you move further from the basket ( as everybody knows) because you have more motor unit recruitment. When you require more strength to do something, you do it with less dexterity because you recruit more motor neurons and thus more muscle fibers. So in summary, extra strength comes with less accuracy. I can make an open shot 4 feet away from the rim at a much higher clip than one 30 feet away. This isn't a problem for NBA players normally as they are some of the most conditioned athletes in the world, but they openly admit to being gassed and their legs being gone in the playoffs. Now couple that with taking a contested shot that far away, your % are going to be drastically lower.

Ignore the context and the science all you want, the results even... (from teams with post season success) but you aren't fooling anyone.

17. albuster

albuster Member

I was actually critical of the over emphasis on Morey's analytics for basketball about two years ago and was called a "pox" on this board by one of the clutch crew members. The worship of Morey and his statistics has disgusted me so much that I have not posted much since then. I hope the people are really starting to wake up Hmm but the "In Morey we Trust" mantra has become almost cultural among the folks here who have never understood the essence of basketball.

1 person likes this.
  18. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

At the same rate Jordan did? From the post? Off the dribble pull ups? you must be watching a different Harden, the midrange I see from him is mostly stepbacks. I agree our offense is predictable but as much as we compliain about it we're still scoring over 100+ per game.
    Truth is we cannot defend a simple pick and roll and our coach will allow Aldridge to go one on one.

19. torocan

torocan Member

WTH are you talking about? I've been saying all year that we're at BEST a fringe play off contender. And that we would need a 3rd All star or multiple role players to strengthen the bench before we would be a contender. And that I didn't think we'd hit our stride until next year due to this being the first year with Harden + Howard.

I've also said ALL season that I didn't think McHale is a play off caliber coach.

I've also noted our lack of screens, and said prior to the play offs that I believed we might hit a fall off on the defensive end with the loss of Sampson.

And I noted that Harden's lack of defensive effort and awareness would bite us in the butt during the play offs.

Maybe you should shut the heck up and KNOW what you're talking about before you continue spewing your ignorance any more than you already have...

Keep yapping. All you expose is your own shortcomings.

20. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I'm sure shot efficiency for midrange goes way up when you shoot without anyone within 10 feet from you, like LMA has been doing this whole series. We are truly stuck between two roads. One is let our big guy stick to LMA and give up offensive rebounds because the rest of the team can't rebound for anything or keep letting LMA shoot.

The one thing I said about this series is that I wouldn't mind LMA getting his numbers. I just wanted to make it so that it took him 30 shots to get 30 points. He is averaging 44.5 on 26 shots. Shooting over 70%. That spells disaster.