1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

20 year old daughter traveling to Italy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigdaddy, Apr 22, 2014.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What kind of places is she staying at in Italy. I did a trip with wife and kids staying at hostels in probably 6 different cities. They were all nicer and safer than I had expected.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great advice and all things we have told our daughter to do. When I travel, I keep my valuables where someone would have to knock me on the head to get to them. Always have. When I was single, the stuff could get in the way sometimes, but I handled the situation. ;-)-

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

LOL...the guy in the back keeps doing the Clinton photo-bomb!...:grin:

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

might be the greatest first reply of all times

6. jbasket

jbasket Member

See if she knows anybody at the colleges around in Manhattan. If not, direct message me if you want some help.

Edit: oops, didn't see that it was resolved. carry on.

2nd edit: I meant, like, because I know rooms that are just completely vacant. Don't even...

#66 jbasket, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bigdaddy, i see she is staying near the airport now. not sure this is a great idea, depending on where, she may have very limited options for going out.

she should look at the Westside Y, which is on 63rd street, just off central park, near columbus circle, and lincoln center. it's the same deal as the Harlem Y, but much better neighborhood. although Harlem may have been fine, i understand your concern, particularly if you don't know the city.

http://www.ymcanyc.org/westside

http://www.ymcanyc.org/association/guest-rooms/westsiderooms

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

/thread.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another tip is that in particular sketchy places. Is keep a little bit of money in the pocket where you normally take your money out to pay for things but not credit cards or anything else of value. If you are pick pocketed or mugged just hand over that money while keeping everything else safe.

Also since the OP's daughter is traveling with friends always look out for each other. When I was in Chengdu in December I saw someone eyeing my mom's purse, which she was carrying low and open, while she was trying to hail a cab. I told my mom in English, "close your purse and hold it up high against your body".

10. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

What does this refer to? :eek:

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jZOywn1qArI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

13. dragician

dragician Member

same thoughts here. :)

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You can always check a handgun on a flight to NYC. Not sure about Italy -- probably worth calling their consulate to find out.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

FYI ~ she is going to Europe to film a MetArt p*rn movie.

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have crossed the line

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Shouldn't she be staying at a YWCA, not a YMCA

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She has resolved this issue and is no longer staying at the YMCA.

19. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Since you don't have to pay anything, take the money you saved and use it for phone charges/tell her she has to call you every 5 minutes. If she waits anytime over 5 minutes then flip your **** and call the US Embassy in Italy.

No, in all seriousness. Sit her down, tell her your concerns and come to an agreement that she calls you 3 times a day. Morning/Afternoon/Evening just so you know she is fine- keep the conversations quick.

You also use the word they so I assume she is not going alone but with friends or boyfriend, just make sure they stay together and don't spend alot of time venturing off in different directions. SHe is 20 so talk to her about the night life and be-careful. Alot of girls do get drugged in Euro Clubs. Make sure she watches her drinks and doesn't let anyone buy her drinks. Theft is also high in places like Italy so conceal valuables, don't pretty yourself up too well- go with more of a 'plain' look. Don't be walking around with a super expensive purse. I suspect she will be using trains and rails to get around asite from her feet, so you don't want to be holding or have nice eye-catching things on the rails and trains late in the evening.

Most likley she will have a great trip, see some great things and come back drinking more coffee than usual.. if she doesn't drink coffee than she will return drinking coffee.

#79 Realjad, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  20. gatsby

gatsby Member

I live in NYC.

I strongly urge any women living in the city to live or travel with a roommate. I've seen too many things here that have truly scared me.

Also, I'd suggest not Harlem...plenty of safe places downtown.