1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

20 year old daughter traveling to Italy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigdaddy, Apr 22, 2014.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I need advice for my hard headed daughter that is traveling to Italy for 6 nights. I have many concerns for her safety and she is being adamant about she has this under control. On the way back she has to spend the night in New York City and they are planning on staying at the YMCA in Harlem. I say no , stay close to the airport. Help me with my concerns. I know there are a lot of worldly travelers on this site. They are going to Florence, Rome and Venice, spending two nights in each city.
    She has worked hard while going to college, full time student and 40 hour work weeks without taking vacation for 3 years. She is paying for the trip and she is not wanting meto help her with this, yet I am a protective old dad.

2. yo

yo Contributing Member

Do you have a particular set of skills?

RKREBORN, Bäumer, MadMax and 5 others like this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xP3N2NU8Lb0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seriously, you can give advice, but she's going to do this either way, probably.

If she's going at least with a friend, I would not worry too much.

Also, in before the inappropriate remarks start. :)

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I knew that would happen fast but not that fast :grin:

5. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I'll go with her.

I will protect her from all the unwanted attention from Italian males and keep her for myself.

6. bigdaddy

Supporting Member

I expected it also, I told her they needed to the movie and her friend said that I was not an action hero(I beg to differ)

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

excuse my ignorance , but how do you stay at a YMCA?

8. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

yes, please aware me on this

9. Nook

Nook Member

Would not be overly worried about her safety in Italy, would be worried about her in NYC staying at the YMCA... Compromise, leave her alone about Italy if she agrees to get a hotel room in NYC and call you when she turns in for the night.

1 person likes this.
  10. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Wow you're very different from my parents, they wanted me to travel independently when I was 18, around Europe too. Also, she's 20, and if she's held a full time job while in college, then she's already handled plenty of responsibility, and a trip to Europe is easily within her abilities. As her dad, there isn't much you can do except fulfil the stereotype of giving her a list of 200 things she shouldn't do blah blah blah.

IMO the best you can do is to say she can do whatever she wants, but has to text/skype you every night so that you can have your peace of mind. When in Europe, get her to find a starbucks or whatever to get internet, but just let her enjoy this trip.

Also, if she's only going with a female friend, then it will be likely one of them will get something stolen in Italy. Sorry. Just a fact of travelling to Italy.

11. bigdaddy

Supporting Member

I realize you are trying to be cute, it does not sit well with you. I figured there would be cute little boys like yourself that would take this thread to be a way to amuse their little egos , this old man is just looking for advice and I would appreciate your refraining from your childishness.

2 people like this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Isnt there a gps device you can make her take.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I didnt know you were a young girl.

14. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

This.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Okay, I have to admit it: I don't see what you did there.

But how's this: New York city is possibly at its safest point in its entire history. Manhattan, in particular, is like one big Disney World compared to what it was 20 or 30 years ago. She will really be fine.

In Italy, she'll also be fine. She just needs to be ready to slap.

16. SacTown

SacTown Member

You need to let her get out there and experience the world. Most countries are much safer than the US, so I'm surprised you'd be worried about here in those major cities in Italy. Completely safe places, and at 20 she's an adult. When I was living and traveling in south east asia, there were many british and australian girls in their early 20's there doing the same. Let her go

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Mine are not that old yet, but already stubborn. I think if you laden her with a million concerns, she'll end up ignoring all of them. Instead, think of the two things you worry about the most; explain those two concerns and keep everything else to yourself. Taking advice on two things isn't too much.

18. bigdaddy

Supporting Member

I have taken several steps back from trying to be to fatherly. She called to tell me she was going and set me straight very quick that she was not asking for my permission, but just calling to tell me about her plans. I have conceded this and have been just an ear for her to state her plans and excitement. The concern came about really when she told me of staying at the YMCA. I didn't realize you could stay there, but you can($20 cheaper). I told her I would pay the difference.

19. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In reference to Harlem YMCA: While certainly not the worst place to stay in NYC, probably not the best place to use as an entry point into NYC nightlife for a newbie. Can def be sketchy at night. Maybe check out Hotel 17?

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My 18 year old daughter is going to Europe for a month in June with a friend. She's graduating with more than a semester's worth of college credit from a magnet high school, while spending a rediculous amount of time involved in theatre. Not only are we helping her go, but she saved a lot of money herself working summers, when she didn't have to. Are we worried? No, not more than we would be if she were going to another state on vacation. As very experienced travelers ourselves, she's heard advice from us on the things you should and shouldn't do for years. My advice to you is try to relax, and to trust your daughter. And you should be very proud of her. She'll never forget this trip, and it will awaken an ardent desire to travel more, in my opinion, and that's a good thing. :)-

My only concern would be the YMCA in Harlem deal. I understand your worry about that detail.