1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should The Rockets make official protest & have final seconds of Game 1 replayed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Apr 21, 2014.

?

Should Final seconds of Game 1 be replayed?

1. Yes...Did it before, do it again.

41 vote(s)
    42.7%
  2. No...We have to live with it, again.

55 vote(s)
    57.3%
  1. Andrew Wiggins

If they really want to play this game i guarantee we have close to 80% of the bad calls.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I thought it was pretty bad on both sides. The play when Lopez fouled out was ridiculous too. He clearly wasn't the one who committed the foul.

3. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

although it was a bad call, it's not similar to the one that was replayed. the other one ruled shaq had 6th fouls when he didn't, this was a judgement call

4. Andrew Wiggins

The one time the refs dont want to put howard on the line. When it decides the game. That is their job.

5. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Kevin Durant seems to do just fine in OKC.

6. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Firstly I said in my response 'any of the replayed games'...here is a list of all the Instances in NBA history when the protest of a game has been granted with who made the mistake in Bold:

One instance, the Miami game was the fault of the Scores table, the rest were the fault of a Referee's decision, just like in the First game of the Rockets vs Blazers playoff series...so your point is?

I'll await your answer, even though I already know what it is.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Those decisions were over 30 years ago, under a different regime, before Stern. Too long ago to be a relevant example. The only relevant case (and the only one worth discussing) is the Miami game.

8. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

According to the dates, it doesn't look like any of these were playoff games. Has this ever happened for a playoff game?

9. photojoe

photojoe Member

I love the Rockets, but I personally hope that we don't complain and try to get the last 10 seconds replayed. It would make us look like whiners and sore-losers, and if they decided to replay that last 10 seconds it would set a dangerous precedent for teams complaining about almost every lost playoff game.

I know, we had terrible calls against us. That last one against Dwight when he fouled out was absolutely embarrassingly bad. I know how frustrating it is.

They had some bad calls against them too. Was it as many as us? I don't really know, I wasn't keeping track while I was watching the game yesterday.

How about instead we just go out and take care of business on Wednesday. Don't let them dominate the offensive boards. Don't let LMA (who is an amazing player) look like Wilt Chamberlain (who is one of the all time best players ever). And then do the same thing to them on their home court in games 3 or 4.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

A playoff game shouldn't matter. If anything it should matter more that they get it right.

I think it is crazy that league admitted Howard should have been on the line shooting 2. I have no idea how the protest process works, but it would seem to be pretty clear that this mistake altered the outcome of the game since the league flat out admitted it. Pretty sloppy on their part.

That foul on Lopez shouldn't have been a foul on him either. He shouldn't have fouled out at that time, but the league made no comment on that terrible call.

The refs just need to swallow their ****ing whistles and let these guys play.

Problem solved.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If the Rockets were to protest and the NBA agreed to replay the last 11 seconds, what would keep any team from finding a bad call in any game and then protest as well. Theoretically, there is no difference in a bad call with 11 seconds left and a bad call with 40 minutes left. In each case it could create an X point swing. The only valid reason for a protest is a referee misapplying a rule. Missed foul calls and other bad calls are "on-the-fly" judgment calls. They should be un-protestable otherwise, teams would be protesting every single game they lose.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It is reasonable...but it opens up pandora's box. Lots of teams in the NBA (and sports in general) lose big games because of dumb ass refs. It happens.

What will happen is the Rockets are likely to get all the calls go their way in Game 2 as if that makes up for it.

That sucks too, but that's what happens when one team is clearly favored by the refs.

13. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

The tail trying to wag the dog...

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Start a petition, that always works.

15. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

It wasn't game 7, its game 1, it happens. They'll probably "give" us game 3 to equal it out. So all good.

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking class action lawsuit. refund for all who attended and damages to all of us that watched this abortion.

This is about money and stretching to 7 games.

Hit them where it hurts. Distribute the inevitable settlement to a charity so no cash for us just the principle of the matter.

As part of the judgment make them admit that this is as legit as wrestling

SUE THE BASTIDS

17. Karolik

Karolik Member

Houston is not special..

I repeat..

Houston is not special..The league doesn't care how special you think Houston is or how they deserve special treatment. They have a standard to uphold. If they agree to replay the Houston game, that would set a precedent where they would have to replay all the other games as well

If you are angry at the call, then go punch a pillow, kick a dog, cuz I was pissed for sure.

But the NBA doesn't care how special you think Houston is.

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You can't protest a judgement call which is what that foul call was (subjective). The replay that you sited was due to an incorrect reporting of the number of fouls (objective).

It's that way in most every sport. In football and baseball you can review /protest incorrect rule interpretations and an objective calls (fair/foul, safe/out, in bounds/out of bounds, catch/no catch, number of players on the field, etc...) but you can't argue or review subjective calls (holding, pass interference, balls/strikes, balks, etc...) .

The lack of a foul on Freeland and the call on Howard were judgement calls, not incorrect rule interpretations or objective calls. You can certainly ask the league for a ruling but the best you'll get is what the Clippers received after their game 1 loss when the league said the referee made a mistake and that Chris Paul was fouled at the end of the game. The call didn't get overturned and the Clips still lost but the league agreed with them.

19. Bucketfans

Bucketfans Member

I wish we can, but the reality is this would bring chaos to the entire league.

If we succeed in requesting the league to replay Game 1, imagine how many others teams would follow and file the same requests based on bad officiated games? This brings too much of a negative impact to the league and they would never allow that to happen

20. coffeelover665

file the protest. Even if we get anything, the protest will pile up and we'll force the league to at least make a change in how the game are officiated