1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Injury: Pat Beverley sprains his knee (UPDATE: Cleared to play Game 2)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

if there is no damage why would he be limited? and what is all this "im juz scured cuz he might do more damageeezzz!!!"

cant damage something further if isnt damaged in the first place

2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Bev might still be limping, but the fact the MRI results was negative is a huge deal on a knee that had been previously damaged. Don't know when he could or should play again, but Wolverine's healing powners are truly amazing.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Why? I don't want Lilliard getting into a groove early. Ride the horse while you have him. It is what it is at this point. I don't want the Rockets to play like tomorrow is a given.

4. yummyhawtsauce

well let's say you have a piece of wire that is fraying slightly, overtime if used then it will continue to fray further. it's not completely unusable, but further use just puts more stress into it.

Bev only recently came back from his injury and it seems like he's not 100%. he's fine ont he court, being quick and aggressive, it's just that when he's bumped awkwardly - it might cause more stress to his injury because the knee can't take much additional pressure than normal.

5. ryebread

ryebread Member

those last two drives by lillard, bev didnt look right. if that's the bev we're getting for game 2, i'd rather have him sit and heal and maybe come back for game 3. harden goes off in game 2 anyway.

6. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

This is more reality....

I would also suggest putting Hardin at the pg and putting Hamilton at the sg...

I would also put Hardin at the pg and Daniels at the sg on offense... I would prefer Daniels than Canaan... Daniels can flat out light it up...

T_Man

7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

The Lillard-put-up-31-points-on-him narrative that has been cited ad nauseum by certain posters. And before you get your panties in a bunch, I will note that I have defended Lin in precisely the same way when people use "___ put up __ points on him!" as evidence that he is a poor defender, without bothering to look at whether he was even on the floor when some of those points were scored, whether they were scored in transition on a switch, etc. Just spouting the number of points scored by someone's primary assignment is a stupid way to rate them as a defender. Period.

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I think I'm more jaded than you are. Bev will want to play regardless. Said this on twitter, but he could be decapitated and still want to play with his head in one hand and the ball in the other. Love him, but I don't think he makes the best decisions where his health is concerned, and I doubt his agent could stop him. But like I said, I'm a cynic by nature... I would love nothing more than for you to be right about this.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

That's not a good analogy, because according to the MRI today, there was no new damage (i.e. fraying). If there were, the Rockets would likely shut him down.

Bev could rest for the next 6 months and he's not going to be 100%. Not without surgery. It just isn't that type of injury. A part of his meniscus is gone and there's general instability, and the "risk" is awkward moments when he gets jarred and the tear is aggravated.

To me, if you're going to greatly limit his minutes, you may as well just shut him down now, have the surgery and get the recovery process underway. If you're going to let Bev play through this, you may as well go all the way and maximize the value of his presence on your roster. Because except for occasional moments, he really is as quick as ever.

I just don't see the "in-between route" having much merit, especially given how healthy he's looked for 99% of his time on the floor. Either play him as usual, except for the awkward moments like last night, or shut him down and start the surgery/recovery process. One or the other.

10. maxiep

maxiep Rookie

Happy to hear that there was no new damage. Playoff basketball should be about the best players playing. Hopefully Beverley's knee feels better by Game Two. I love to watch he and Lillard go at each other.

11. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

"yessssss!" - marv albert voice

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because it's hard to believe that after that much pain he is going to be ready to go by wed.

Bringing him off the bench won't mean he's matched up against williams. There will be plenty of PT against Lilliard.

Seems to me that any kind of collision is going to knock him out of the game - not sure how he is going to avoid banging his knee on something.

13. SunsRocketsfan

yeah Bev is a killer and relentless.. You could tell he was in pain and something wasnt right but he wanted to remain on the court even if that meant he might be hurting himself more.. Someone is going to have to pull him out and force him to sit if there is any chance he can damage his long term career. Bev certainly will want to play and fight.

14. dookiester

dookiester Member

Well technically what you're saying is true, you can't damage something further if it isn't damaged in the first place...but you are putting a non-damaged part at a higher risk of damage when the surrounding tissue, muscles, ligaments, etc. are already compromised. The body compensates for the weakened parts by putting more strain on the non-weakened parts, which can often throw things completely out of whack.

15. TheJet

TheJet Member

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. It's almost to the point that when I see someone use that argument I just assume they have no clue about the game of basketball. A harsh measuring stick I suppose but I got tired of replying with the same message over and over.

16. Classic

Classic Member

17. jason330i

jason330i Member

good to hear, get well soon, team needs you bev!

18. TheJet

TheJet Member

You're right. He shoved the trainer away last night and kept playing when he was obviously injured. Love the enthusiasm, love the stones, but sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

19. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think limiting his minutes will be just fine, both in the short- and long-term. Bev is key to this team, throwing him to the wolves with a bad knee is too risky. Daniels looked OK defensively in limited minutes (granted, against benchwarmers), so if he and Lin can take 10 minutes of Bev's shoulders, it may be helpful. I think Hamilton is too slow to front Lillard.

Also, surgery is not necessarily an option for Bev. Not all tears are amenable to surgery. Hopefully he just needs extended rest to recuperate.

20. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Glad to hear. I would start him but lower his minutes if possible.