1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ A's

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 18, 2014.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, the manager chooses the guy who has been sick and admittedly only ate 2 bananas, a kolache and a bowl of soup Wednesday through part of Friday and hasn't pitched in 8 days, be the closer.

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Qualls freaking pathetic.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Looks like Lowrie had the last laugh.

Qualls fits right in. It's for the best that they won before extra innings because we know how that ends.

#43 Surfguy, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

At this rate, Bo does not make it to the end of the year.

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

i think Bo gets 2015 before he's fired. Not saying he's a good manager but he has mostly double A talent to work with.

6. mick fry

mick fry Member

Im watching Rangers game and the White Sox commentator speaking of the Stros said Porter gets the players to play all 27 outs and that they "battlehustle". DOH!

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And that may end up being the level that suits his managerial skills best.

I think he tinkers way too much with lineups and the random bullpen decisions. Looks more like guess/check than calculated decisions based on known personnel abilities.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The lack of fundamentals and lackadaisical play is what's going to burn him.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Nobody could win with this team, we all acknowledge this, but Porter even with lowered expectations appears to be making bad choices. Not to mention this team's continued mental mistakes. Chad Qualls hasn't pitched in 8 days, and you bring him in to close? Fields isn't Mariano Rivera but he has pitched scoreless innings in 6 of his 7 appearances so far.

Jason Castro is our best hitter, even against a lefty he should never be out of the lineup. You need Carter in the lineup against a lefty, so Castro should have caught today and DH'ed tomorrow.

He does appear to have wised up about playing Alex Presley though, and there is really nothing he can do about Carter, Dominguez and Fowler all slumping to start the year.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Apparently, Presley was in Saturday's lineup, but was sick and unable to play.

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think it should be clear to most people by now that Albers has been our best reliever so far this season . Why has he not gotten a chance to close yet ? The choice of Qualls was not a good one, I mean I did not expect him to blow the game as he has been ok this year; but, fields and leaving Albers in we're better options. This was on of our few winnable games and porter blew it.

12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I don't care how much you hustle if you don't have talent you aren't going to win many games.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Cut Carter
    Cut Krauss

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Time for Singleton. Krauss pack your bags.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yep, that's enough of Krauss. I typically try to be patient, but with Singletons extra year clock over he needs to be here tomorrow. Austin Wates should also be up in lieu of Presley.

Carter has a year and a half of evidence to suggest he's in for a turnaround, but my patience is wearing thin with him as well.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

way to to move out of the way of that pitch, then pop out, castro.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pitcher and catcher getting crossed up in a bases loaded situation... things that you figure even the worst of teams would have a hard time getting wrong.

Not impressed with this team's focus. Its one thing not to have enough talent... but they make more mental mistakes than most teams as well.

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

jeez, is that the 3rd error springer has reached on already?

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Good for the OBP?

Was nice to see him get 2 bases out of it.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I wonder if Carter swings/misses in batting practice as well.

Pitchers are starting to throw him fastballs right down the middle... with absolutely zero fear that he can make contact.