1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Family decides to travel around the world on a POS sailboat with their young children and fail miser

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Apr 7, 2014.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

I never said there is no need for CPS. In my post, I said if it's something authorities can handle, then that's great.

It's between them and CPS...that's why an uproar is unnecessary. It'll be handled how it needs to be handled and nobody else should be angry over such a thing. There are stupid people all over the place, no need to be upset over every case of human idiocy. We can either waste our energy on being mad about what others do to themselves or save our energy for the drama that lies ahead with the Rockets, Texans, and Astros.

I'd prefer putting my energy into things that directly affect me, that's all I was trying to say.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Ok, that's fair, but I don't think the public outrage is really trying to take away their kids or sick CPS on them. This story has enough media attention that if CPS really did want to make a case, they have everything necessary to.

We can still judge the parents and think they're idiots, but it's not like any one of us will really do much beyond that.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

It does affect other people. It cost millions of dollars, used up a lot of resources and there also was some risk to the rescuers.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

That cost that we incur is there with or without stupid people. It's the price of living in the society we live in today. The rescue team was getting paid from our money whether they were sitting home, sitting at work, or being out on the job. So in a sense, they may as well work for the millions of dollars we pay in taxes.

And sure, there could be a risk with a rescue team going out there...but like I said, stupid people are all over the place, but with firefighters, police officers, etc... there is an inherent risk with the job they have chosen as their careers. If it's not a family trying to sail around the world, there is a jackass trying to jump off a building onto a crowded street below.

5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Member

I just feel bad their took their sailboat (home) out to the ocean and came back with only the clothes on their backs. I can see how its tempting to take your home (and kids) across the pacific ocean to Japan. Sounds pretty cool actually.

6. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

I agree. If you grew up in the water and this is the lifestyle you choose to live as a family, it does sound pretty cool.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

I didnt read about this story much...didnt realize this was their home.

That's a totally different story then, imo. They freaking grew up on water. Definitely makes more sense for them to want to sail around than for a random person like me to decide to be crazy and attempt to do something like that.

I blame the parents less now.

8. rage

rage Member

Without those stupid people to rescue I would hope the rescue team have better things to do because if they don't , then we shouldn't pay them in the 1st place.

If you don't think it costs nothing extra to save these people, just stretch it a little and say there are 10 more stupid families out there with their sail boats and need rescue. What the heck do you do then and who is responsible? Are you going to say the 1st family get a pass, the rest has to pay?

Another thing, so what if they use to live on boats? Many of them do, tied to a dock, that's where they need to be. If they think their boat can do better out in the middle of the ocean with some 1, 3 year old then don't call for rescue when you can't handle it. If you need rescue, pay for the cost. It's no different for me when I call for an ambulance.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think the best outcome of this thread would be a Clutchfans regatta event, perhaps sailing from Galveston to the Yucatan and back, led by our bravest members in this thread.

[​IMG]

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah and the fuel to get there was free. Also the distraction as well taking away resource to save these dumbasses.

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

You can say that for anyone that gets saved from hiking or skiiing, etc. None of those things are necessary. They all carry some risk. But do you expect people to never just do those things?

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

His argument was 'might as well'

I'm saying the fuel wasn't free to go get these dumbasses.

these people should have never gone out there in 1st place with small children. They should have their children taken away by CPS

13. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

Do you feel the same for the people who go camping/hiking with their kids and the kids get lost?

14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

no.. apples to oranges.

comparing high seas to camping is a reach. come on you are a smart stock broker guy.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Yes. the risk shouldn't be that you might get eaten by a bear or drown in the ocean. The risk should be that you might owe tens of thousands for the rescue operation.

These morons who climb mountains are the same way. The risk shouldn't be falling off, it should be that you will be paying for the rescue for the rest of your life.

16. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

It is and it isn't. You think it's a much bigger deal because camping is something we can all relate to. And it seems closer. But a lot of those camping places are very remote and takes multiple airplanes and helicopters to track down lost people.
    Of course the ocean is much more vast and remote but it's not incomparable.

17. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

I'm okay with that. Maybe require they have some sort of insurance.

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Member

Funny how there's all this outrage over a sick kid that was out on a boat with his family yet we live in a city where nearly 26% of its children are living in poverty and 28% dont have consistent access to food. But, hey... That's not nearly as interesting as a failed family expedition across the globe. Right???

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

You know what I hate? Famine. Really pisses me off.

Also, evil dictators. Pet peeve of mine.