1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelvin Sampson Charismatically Slams Harden's D

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ooooaaaah!, Apr 7, 2014.

1. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I was driving back to work and Kelvin Sampson the Rockets ex-assistant coach and new University of Houston head coach was on The Rush. You can find the podcast at http://espn975.com/page.php?page_id=191.

The interview had some pretty funny moments with Kelvin Sampson and Jerome Solomon respectfully throwing jabs at each other. At one point Harden's defense comes up and Kelvin acknowledges Harden's lack of defense and having gone back and forth with him. He talks about the great scorers, including Michael Jordan, having to mature and learning to play defense in order to win championships.

http://espn975.com/page.php?page_id=191

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Didn't listen to the 97.5 bit yet but he was on 610:

Which guys' stories on the Rockets will be the one you go to as far as "Look what a guy can do with the right coaching and proper development and look what we can do at Houston."

One guy we had a profound effect on was Terrence Jones. He was strictly an inside guy. When he got with us, he's playing facing the basket. He's a big that has to play outside. Our trail big has to play facing the basket.

The other is James Harden, being more of a leader, taking responsibility for the team. Even though you have the green light, you have a responsibility to incorporate your teammates and make them better players.

Those two we had a profound effect on.

Our team is built for the playoffs. Dwight will be back and he'll be fine. Pat will be back. His injury is progressing to the point where he's confident on it and going full speed right now in workouts. James is playing at a high level, Terrence and D-Mo at the 4, Pat and Jeremy at the point, Chandler/James on the wing, the bright spot with Dwight out is we have Omer back. We'll be a tough out in the playoffs. I'm excited for those guys.

Fan and media standpoint, James Harden's defense comes up and is criticized often. What does he need to do on defense for this team to win big?

(Laughing) What does he have to do on defense? How about play some defense first. I get on James a lot about that. James is a 4th quarter defender. There is no perfect player. LeBron is the greatest player on the planet and has defensive lapses, especially this year but when it's nut-cuttin' time and time to win the game, LeBron guards and so does James. When James gets older and more mature and starts respecting the game more, which he'll do, all this is new to him, being the man, being the star. Next year, the season after, he'll start wrapping his head around playing both ends. Michael Jordan was the same way. Michael didn't guard his early years but then it became more important to him. That time will come for James. When he wants to, he is a tremendous defender. It'll become more important to him and he'll respect it more as he gets older.

So you feel there is something inside him that he'll realize that he needs to play a certain level of defense.

I do. Your question is a fair question. Can't tell you how many film edits I've gotten of him where he's ball watching and his guy back cuts him. He knows it. There's a lot of responsibility on that young man on offense. Our offense is James Harden a lot of nights. ... Right now, he values offense more than defense but that time will come when he values both.

1 person likes this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure MJ's defense was never sub-par.

Good listen
    Much success to Kelvin. Cougars ballin again would be awesome. Was much too young to experience the Phi Slama Jama days and can only imagine how great it was. Unfortunately some of the city's biggest heartbreak and embarrassment too.

4. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I agree, at the very least I would say the delta was not as large to reach championship form.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Stats that we have would agree with you.

Not that these are great stats, but Jordan had a pretty consistent career as far as defensive win shares and really defensive rating. There is definite improvement in year 3, but really you'd expect that over his rookie season.

6. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Funny what gets focused on when you talk about a 15 minute interview. He talks about Jordan's D as a "by the way". I think his real point wasn't to slam a young Jordan. I think he was treading carefully around being negative about Harden's D. He was juxtaposing Jordan to basically say, "even the great Jordan had to improve his defense so Harden isn't as lazy as I might seem to imply".

I thought it was interesting how he complimented Harden's 4th quarter defense. Basically, implying that the ability is there. Personally, I'm real glad with the way Harden has been passing or at least the improvement I see. It isn't uncommon of late to see Harden get double digit assists in a game.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't think he was talking negatively about Jordan either. I think he was stretching the truth to not sound so negative about Harden.

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Agreed. The OP is clearly misstating the interview though... Kelvin did not "charismatically slam" Harden's D. He was honest and critical but not in an off-putting "slam" type of way. Otherwise he would not have mentioned Lebron and Jordan.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed with everyone.

Was just an "add-in" to soften the tone.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I hope he gets thru to Harden some day. That dude has a good defender inside him somewhere.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

theres no reason why he can't be.

he's built like an ox, got a massive wingspan, 6'10.5 at 6'5, when he's really engaged he's actually quite good defensively. all part of the maturation process i guess

12. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Totally fair. Glad to hear his optimism re: this team being built for the post-season (though I didn't expect him to say anything different).

13. don grahamleone

He didn't get good at defense, he got worse. It's not to say that he was ever bad, but all his accolades came earlier in his career. Namely, his steals championships and DPOY was in 1988. He was First All Defensive Team in 1998, but there were better players that year. Doug Christie comes to mind for that year. I think he was becoming a throw-in because of the great teams he anchored.

I'm not hating on Jordan, but he was, noticeably, becoming more and more of an offensive player who no longer had the physical gifts he once had. He was taking a lot more mid-range shots later in his career and developed a helluva turnaround jumper to negate being able to get to the rim.

Kelvin was either misinformed or just trying to be persuasive. I'd guess the latter.

14. don grahamleone

I wonder if it's conditioning. He was conditioned to be a 6th man for years and became leader. I think he conserves energy and that conservation comes on the defensive end. If he gets in primo shape, I could see that changing. That boxing training that Wolverine does gives you incredible energy.

Think about Roy Jones Jr.... he could win a fight and play a semi-pro basketball game in the same night. Boxing training makes less demanding sports, easier.

15. iLookOK

iLookOK Member

First to realize that the title was written in order to make it appear as if sexual intercourse was taking place.

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

OP, do you mean "characteristically"?

17. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

lol thats what i thought....but then the thought of that got me,disgusted as well...

18. reliableman

reliableman Member

First to comment on a realization that seems so obvious that nobody should feel the need to point it out. ;)

Great interviews with Kelvin. I equally hope that he can bring success to UH and that the Rockets haven't let a brilliant mind go. He seemed like an extremely integral part of our coaching staff.

19. vator

vator Contributing Member

Is there a stripper at Colorado or Treasures named Kelvin Sampson? She hot? I know she got a badonkadonk...that goes without saying.

20. Karolik

Karolik Member

Its called aging..If you notice, Kobe's defense also declined in his later years. The best time to play both sides of the ball is when you're still young and athletic.