1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keeping the other LA team in mind, does Gasol SnT for Asik make sense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iNoseBleedRed, Apr 6, 2014.

?

Does Pau for Asik make sense?

1. Yea

16 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. Nea

41 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. what

33 vote(s)
    36.7%
  1. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Gasol has stated that his main priority in choosing his next team will be winning a ring. Asik has stated, well implied, that his main priority is getting the spotlight. How about a sign and trade with LA of Gasol/Greg Smith for Asik/Kaman (or just Pau for Asik straight up?)

Perhaps a twin-tower line up of D12/Pau would work much better than the twin tower lineup we tried early in the season.

We need to design our roster with the Clippers in mind, as the road to the ring will go through them for the next 4 years.

D12/Pau don't destroy, but prevail, over Hyundai/DeAndre

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Gasol is a UFA this summer. Why would anyone in their right mind want to do a SNT for him is beyond me. If he wants to win another ring he can sign here for the vet min.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I am sure that even now he will command more than the vet minimum. But maybe he would take the MLE.

4. pkothari1013

pkothari1013 Member

Remember how the pairing of Dwight and Pau fared last year. Granted, it was a different system with other different players, but I wouldn't bank my money on it. I would not give up Asik for him at all, but if Pau wishes to come here on his own volition, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

5. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

Yes, a lineup of Pau/D12, along with a dominant, volume-scoring SG. How come nobody has tried that before?!!?!?!

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If he wants to win another ring, why would he sign with a second rate team instead of a top tier contender?

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Gasol at this point of his career can be a more than adequate bench player on a contender.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He'll want to start.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

DH and Pau didn't work in LA, why in the world would it work here? Jesus.

10. torocan

torocan Member

DH/Pau doesn't work unless you retool the offense.

If you're going to run a grinding half court system, then sure. However, it doesn't work so well in a faster paced run and gun transition offense, especially if you're subbing Pau for TJones (one of our best transition players).

Even IF Pau was willing to run, I just don't see his legs lasting through 82 games at the speed we run. His legs would fall off not long past the All Star break.

11. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I forgot which thread it was but it was a while a go where Morey could of gotten both Gasol and Nene.

12. basketballholic

Someone will offer Pau 3/30 (and possibly a little more) over the summer.

Here's what I think happens:

As soon as Memphis' gets booted out in the post-season I think they'll start floating rumors of trading Zach. They'll make it very clear they want to trade Zach. Zach has a player option. The strategy is to get him to opt out. If Zach believes he's gonna get traded then he may decide to opt out. If he opts out, Memphis is gonna offer Pau a 3 year deal. I think this is what they want to happen.

And if Zach doesn't opt out Memphis is going to try to trade him somewhere for no incoming salary so they can sign Pau outright or create a sign-and-trade possibility with Pau. Or possibly even send Zach to the Lakers outright for a re-signed Pau if the Lakers can't convince another premier free agent like Melo to sign with them.

I firmly believe Memphis wants Pau back. And I can't believe none of the big media guys are talking about the possibility of it happening.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It depends on how this season ends.

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

gasol will barely grab 8 rebounds a game. Asik brings more important attributes than Gasol.

15. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

I think Pau would work great. I believe the duo didn't work out because of the system they had under D'antoni. I would hope he would be willing to take the MLE. Jones off the bench would be nice. That also gives us the room to flip Jones/asik for a higher caliber player.
    I would do Jones+Asik+Lin+Parsons for Carmelo. or simply Jones+Parsons for Rondo.

Bev
    Harden
    Melo
    Pau
    Howard

16. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Isn't Pau only effective as a center nowadays?

17. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

The way you beat Blake Griffin is with a shooting PF who can spread the floor and put the ball on the floor when he comes out to contest.... how about a Paul Milsap ?

18. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Paul Gasol's defense is too suck now, he is too slow to cover elite PF

19. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Peoples obsession here with Pau is borderline creepy. We play fast paced and will have to change our whole offense for a slow, old, jump shooting center that plays ZERO defense.

20. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Heh, last time somebody posted a trade for Gasol thread, it got closed in about ten minutes. Think the OP got banned.