1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jeremy Lin the Asian Jackie Robinson of our time?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RedRedemption, Apr 5, 2014.

?

LIN == JACKIE ROBINSON?

1. Yes.

15.0%
  2. No.

85.0%
  1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

There is a right and wrong answer here.
    Please pick the correct one.

Just want to show the LOF in that other thread how LUDICRIOUS that analogy was.
    We're talking about a time where blacks were openly segregated by law and you had basically never seen a black player in the MLB before this guy, much less be a powerful force in said league. There was a SEPARATE LEAGUE for black players. What did Jeremy Lin face? Racial stereotypes? Boohoo, does not compare; not only that but his POOR PLAY has only reinforced those stereotypes even more. You can argue all you want about Lin getting discriminated against, whether intentionally or unintentionally, that's fine; but the Jackie Robinson comparison is mindblowingly stupid.

YAO MING did more for the Asian people in the NBA than Jeremy Lin EVER did (and will do) and he was WAY less controversial because he was a consistent force in the league barring major injuries at the latter end.

Please, never again compare Jeremy Lin to JACKIE ROBINSON.

#1 RedRedemption, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    3 people like this.
  2. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Poor Jeremy has his own water fountain and all.

3. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Another day, Another Lin topic.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Jeremy Lin is the white Jesus Christ.

5. kvnzhangyay

kvnzhangyay Member

Why do people care what other's opinions are?

6. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

You are on a forum. That kind of what this place is for.

1 person likes this.
  7. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Of course not. Robinson had the support of his manager and coaches. And baseball is an individual sport x9, so baseball players can succeed based on their own talents, while basketball relies on synergy of all the parts of the team and how well each player performs depends on how well the parts of the team fits together.

8. RedRedemption

LOFs here seem to care when they hound on alleged "LOHs" whenever Lin is criticized. There are some pretty reasonable Lin fans like Torocan, who I respect for backing up ALL his statements, and then there are the dumb masses.

9. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

LOL... just take this to the DND. Geez, some of you do not let up. Obvious troll got you real good RedRedempation... and now you're throwing out a blanket statement in the mouths of all lofs out there. You might be as bad as some of them. Please grow up... a lot of people here acting like kids to one up the other one. smh

10. RedRedemption

You might be right in me knee-jerking a bit. But watching a poster equate Lin to Jackie Robinson was the biggest WTF moment I've had in a while.

That coupled with the constant Lin threads (my bad for starting another one)... its clear how bad the forum as become.

I like Lin as a person, and I like him as an individual player. But I do not like him on the Houston Rockets; not a good fit. And I openly welcome a trade in the off-season for a more piece that can fit better in the team concept.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

No. Jeremy Lin has clearly suffered more at the hands of racism than Jackie Robinson. Did you know Jeremy Lin was never recruited by a powerhouse college nor drafted into the NBA? Do you have any idea the mental anguish and the pressure Lin felt from that? About having to play in the DLeague and being cut over the likes of Johnny Flynn?

OTOH, Jackie Robinson had the team behind his back. The Royals went out of their way to accomadate him being a special case. Contrast this with McHale, who benched Jeremy Lin for some scrub from Russia. And his GM not saying a word about this. This just shows the type of difficulty Jeremy Lin has to overcome in the NBA that Jackie Robinson never face.

Lin's story >>> Jackie Robinson's.

12. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Dear lord... I'm embarassed. I'm sorry that I like Lin. I hope my posts never insinuated anything like this ludicrousness.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Wow. Just wow.

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I know this pure sarcasm...

[​IMG]

15. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

The post that started it all I believe.

16. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

When Lin goes thru all that Jackie went thru then you do your comparison.

Also, Jackie had the skills, the talent and everything it took too be a major league baseball player, he was only held back because the color of his skin.

Lin has not faced anything close to racism, as a matter of fact he's been giving every opportunity to be successful....

Go look at the Movie 42 and then ask your own self is Lin is the Jackie Robinson of our time..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/I9RHqdZDCF0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. yummyhawtsauce

by starting this thread, you just drew more attention to this comparison...

1 person likes this.
  18. Joe-House

Joe-House Rookie

19. RedRedemption

Good, the more sane people see this comparison, the faster it gets squashed and buried.

20. beybey

beybey Member

Tip: if u want it to stop..don't add fuel to the fire.