1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin without a ball dominant teammate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, Jan 29, 2014.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

That is pure bull**** and you know it. And if you don't then more is the pity ... for you. Linsanity was more than Lin being Asian. Otherwise there would have been Yao-sanity or some similar **** before all this. Lin's short but volcanically hot run with NY was HISTORIC. Lin averaged 25 points, 9 assists, 3 rebounds, 18 shots, and 8 free throws in 39 minutes per game during that 2 week stretch. That has never been done before in the NBA by a first time starter. By NO ONE. Nada, zilch, zero, not by Wilt, not by Jordan, not by Lebron. NO ONE.

And that has absolutely nothing to do with race or creed. Did Lin being a minority that is not normally associated with excellence in basketball enflame Linsanity, of course it did, but it did not fuel it. Asserting so is intellectually dishonest at best.

And who are you to tell anyone that they need to take the BAD, with the good. That is bull**** AND cowardly. NO ONE needs to accept poor treatment, no matter the color of your skin, economic status or some other method of creating divisiveness.

1 person likes this.
  2. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I've had hardships. I've watched Lin drive and jump in the air with no idea what to do with the basketball for about 2 seasons now. You can't imagine the horror.....

1 person likes this.
  3. downbytheriver

Omg, you need mental help.

Ramon Sessions. Darren Collison. All had hot stretches for much longer periods than 2 weeks and not in pick up style play. Anyone who has watched basketball for 10+ years knows it was comparable to Devean George beasting for a month of summer league and not much more. Just calm down and take it for what it is instead of making it something it's not, or he's just gonna let you down and youll find yourself makin excuses.

4. wompwomp

wompwomp Member

jesus christ, Wtf are you talking about? Are you actually saying someone with two stable parents cant have hardship? Or are you saying racism doesnt exist when you come from a good household? Nowhere have i said he has had the hardest life but this idea that its all just 0 or 100 is dumb. Should I tell stoudemire to google some kid in a third world country and say his story aint ish. That makes no sense.

This is a country that cant even let mexican kid sing the national anthem for a sporting event without putting him on blast on twitter.

This is a country that cant even fathom a indian american woman winning a miss america, somehow resorting to racist ish on the internet.

And somehow because Lin has 2 parents, its all good when he steps into an arena. You cant be serious.

1 person likes this.
  5. adobo

adobo Member

Don't take him seriously. If his a poster that can't discern that the word "hardship" can be implied in context that's not only related to famine, finance and poverty then obviously his not worth the time. Just chuckle and roll your eyes and move on to the next post instead of getting yourself worked up ;)

6. wompwomp

wompwomp Member

eh, its all good i aint that worked up. its just how i talked. :grin: I normally wouldnt even talk about stuff like this cause at the end of the day, noone cares, especially online. But some of the dudes in here stay saying the slickest stuff.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sessions, Collison? Devean George??? I guess 10 years of watching NBA isn't what it used to be. LOL.

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

only poor people with abusive parents ever have hardship unless you fit in this catagory just have a cup of concrete

SOFT

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Wow I'm so shocked by his post because it's so ridiculous. Wow. Seriously???

King1 is a BOF. black only fan.

Only black people have hardships and experience racism in their lives. *sarcasm*

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

"This matters because – if I may speak freely – plenty of white people (even ordinary reasonable ones) are good at telling coloured people what they should and shouldn’t find racist, without even the slightest awareness that they might not be in prime position to make that call."

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/george-brandis-racial-discrimination-act-changes-create-the-whitest-piece-of-proposed-legislation-ive-encountered-20140327-zqnea.html

what would this indian who grew up in Australia know about racism?

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

In the end it's a pointless exercise because no team's going to win anything with Lin as their dominant perimeter guy. Give Lin the best big in the game: Howard, Gasol, Noah, Love, whoever you want. Use any post-Linsanity splits you like. Have one of those previously mentioned star big and Lin as your 1-2 punch. What is that team? A 7th seed in the west or 4th in the east AT BEST?

If Lin can't learn to play with a ball dominant player, his upside is spending the rest of his career looking like Brandon Knight in Milwakee.

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The PHI game skews Lin's stats this season.. dude hit like 8 3's.

Only way I'd want to see Lin on the Rockets without Harden is if LeBron, Durant or maybe Davis was substituted.

13. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

"coloured" people huh? i take it you aren't from the US. we tend not to use that nowadays. lol

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Excellent! Spot on.

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Sure Lin played amazing for like what... a 2 weeks stretch before getting hurt. Other players have played just as well for longer period of stretches and after the initial excitement, no one talked about them. Sure they didn't score as much points as Lin, but some had more passes, and other had impacts elsewhere that makes their streak just as comparable as far as I am concerned.

I will say it again, because this is the double standard that LoF's have. If Lin was anything but a minority ethnicity, he wouldn't have the thousands of fans he has today. Hell they would have stopped caring shortly after his injury until the next season and VERY FEW outside of Knicks fans would have cared period. If Lin was any race but Asian, you think anyone would have made a movie about a 2 weeks stretch? How about all those overseas sponsorship deals? How about that contract with a huge balloon payment that Les encouraged Morey to give? How about that huge press release when he got to Houston and all those screaming fanboys when he went overseas.

Race did make a difference for Lin as far as I am concerned, it helped him far more than it hurt him. This was no Jackie Robinson or Rosa Parks; Lin DID make it to a NBA roster, he DID make it big in the media, he DID get a great contract for a guy of his status, and for a while he even back a starter. Sure some ignorant asshats may have thrown slurs at him, but that same racism is also responsible for much of the fanatics that embraced him.

16. TheJet

TheJet Member

1) I guess you don't remember the world wide phenomenon of Yao? The massive jersey sales, the huge TV following. The NBA didn't hype him to Linsanity level, but he was a ground breaker. You also have to consider that great things were expected from Yao from day one. Linsanity far exceeded anyone's expectations from Jeremy. Expectations.

2) Ignoring the fact that race played a factor in Linsanity is like ignoring that race played ANY factor in Lin's basketball career. Of course it played a part. I don't even think that's debatable. How big of a part IS debatable, and at least you concede that.

Yes, Lin did something special in NY. The media picked up on it and it became one of the biggest hyped stretches the NBA had ever seen. But if you really, REALLY put it into perspective, other players are breaking records and setting new standards in the NBA all the time. Do they get the attention or hype that Lin did? When a big name like Durant breaks MJs record of 40 games with at least 25pts, does it get Linsanity hype? It doesn't and won't. Ask yourself why. Is it because KD is a hall of fame player and it's just routine for him? Is that accomplishment any less special because he's a phenomenal player reaching new heights? Even if Durant caught Wilt's crazy record of 80 games it won't get the hype Linsanity did. I'm not saying it's wrong, but that's just how the media operates. Perspective.

It's an interesting study. Linsanity brought Lin to the spotlight and made him a boatload of money. But it also brought pressure. Pressure to perform to standards that are unfair. Pressure it seems that he puts on himself. It's unlikely he'll average anywhere close to those numbers ever again. But people seem to expect it.

Expectations. Perspective. Sometimes people set themselves up for disappointment.

17. wompwomp

wompwomp Member

dude, your just wrong. I am from nyc. He didnt just play well for 2 weeks. He brought people back to watching basketball. The city was buzzing. Do you know how hard it is to get ny to buzz about anything? He didnt just score a bunch of points, he scored the most amount of points as a first time starter in the history of basketball. And this idea that he didnt play well after melo came back is just not true. Some of the revisionist history in here is incredible.

And I am not going to claim to know the pulse of his fans like you do. I am sure race plays a part of it as it does for everything in this country. But what exactly does LOF do for him on the bball court? Does these minions of r****ds get him more playing time somehow? It might have helped him get endorsements once linsanity happened. But what about when he was just some asian kid trying to get a bball scholarship in college? He couldnt even get one despite being california DII player of the year. It wasnt like he was the bumble****, montana player of the year either. So now does going to a non basketball program like harvard help or hurt his career and his development? Did it help or hurt him not getting drafted being that he went to harvard? How different is the road being an undrafted free agent vs being an drafted player, even if it was a second rounder?

Just look at the game thread. There is always some slick race comment when he is playing poorly. Its whatever when he is playing badly and people call him on it but some of these "go back to korea" or "roh roh" comment is on some other ish.

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That is actually my point is that if Lin was not Asian, only NYC would have been buzzing and even then probably not as much as it was for Lin the Asian. Linsanity became an INTERNATIONAL craze BECAUSE Lin is Asian. You think Asia would have been lit up if Lin was not Asian? You seriously think that? I am not denying that Lin played some great ball during that time, but to think that he would have been big outside of NYC if he was not Asian is something I strongly disagree with.

There will always be racism for ignorant people that are or can be hurtful, but there is also racism that turns out positive for Lin. I will say it again, if Lin was not Asian, there would be no Linsanity (just a guy who lit it up for 2 weeks before getting hurt), there would be no huge balloon payment and sponsorships, there would be no squealing fanboys, and there would be no trash LoF's following him from place to place.

19. torocan

torocan Member

It SHOULDN'T get huge attention because it's NOT a huge record. It's the #3 record. That's like people getting hyped because a player passed #20 on the all time scoring list.

Come talk to me when he's close to Wilt's record. THEN that will get Linsanity level hype. Hell, tell me when he passes Oscar Robertson's record.

Wilt Chamberlain - 80 consecutive games
    Oscar Robertson - 46 consecutive games

Get to even 60 games and the general public will go nuts, just as they should.

There's a difference between "best record of all time" and "oh, he's passing the 3rd/10th/35th guy on the list". The ONLY reason anyone cares about Durant's "record" is because he's passing MJ's consecutive game streak.

40 consecutive games topping 25 points or more... in my mind, it's not THAT big of a deal deal to pass the 50% mark of the greatest scoring record of all time.

20. wompwomp

wompwomp Member

Fair enough i think he would have been like tebow big. I am not comparing their skill level, just how crazy it would have gotten. Now would tebow have been as big as he was if he wasnt a bible carrying white guy is another conversation all together. But my point is i dont think race helped him at all up to the point of linsanity.