1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin without a ball dominant teammate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Panda23, Jan 29, 2014.

1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

His point still stands. Why would there be more white animus towards Asian players than black players? You could argue that Asian asketball players face stereotypes due to few having succeeded but how do you explain Yao? Lin fans built the Lin narrative. Coincidentally Yao had no problems being drafted or cut due to his race.

2. TheJet

TheJet Member

Pretty sure that was ESPN, right? And if I recall correctly it was a web article. Even at ESPN those things can get posted with less scrutiny than one might think. I wouldn't put it past them to have let it "slip" through to generate more press.

Valid overall points about racism though. Pardon the pun but it's nowhere near black and white.

However using race as the primary reason for Lin's struggles making it in the NBA is a very dangerous argument, and we've all seen it done.

3. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

1) Why does racism equate to white animus?
    2) Yao is a crappy example. Clearly gifted and over 7 feet tall gets you past a hell of a lot of basketball barriers.
    3) The place where you would see the effects of subtle racism would be where there is plenty of competition. Say, point guard. Oh, wait...

Playing the race card every time anything negative happens with Lin is ignorant and insulting to the coaches and people he plays with. Pretending it doesn't exist isn't all that much better.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

They never said he was a "Chink" in the armor.

They used the phrase "chink in the armor" describing a loss, which is a common phrase to describe a loss. While probably not the smartest use of the phrase, there is quite a difference from outright calling him that word.

5. bobloblaw

For many Lin fans it is either the primary reason or the bedrock reason for his struggles. Race is usually brought up after this process of bargaining (often following no pattern):

(1) Lin is an all star (2) Lin would be an all-star if not for recurring injuries (3) Lin will be an all star (4) Lin is a star (5) Lin is a top-20 guard (6) Lin is the 3rd best player on the Rockets (7) Lin would be much better if not for _______ (McHale/Harden/The system/referees/various teammates/fans) (7) Lin must be underperforming because of racism

It comes up so often because Asians view him as a hero and want to relate some discrimination they have experienced to their idol. I understand it and don't have an issue with Lin fans generally but many are guilty of delusion--bargaining rather than admitting to themselves that he is a mediocre player.

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

No way you are this detached from reality. Jeremy Lin grew up in a good household with two stable parents who guided him towards a scholarship at Harvard. After that he had to earn his way into camp and make an NBA roister. The horror. Google Amare Stoudemire's path to the NBA if you really want to see a hardship. You LOFs are unreal.

7. bobloblaw

(1) the majority of GMs, college coaches, owners are white. McHale is white. Lin fans believe that he has been passed over by these various officials due to being Asian. Why would anyone else's view of him have such a negative influence?
    (2) so Yao did nothing to break these barriers? You'd think if there were truly barriers the discrimination would not disappear suddenly. Why didn't Yao experience any hate? Regardless Lin fans claim that his talent is obvious and ignored. competition
    (3) so there was not enough competition at center to bring out the YOHs? What subtle racism do you see? Can you define subtle racism without coming off as a neurotic? If it's subtle it would have to also be invisible or visible only to asian Lin fans.

8. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

You are being disingenuous there. I find it very difficult to believe that whoever wrote that was unaware of the existence of 'chink' as a racial epithet. Several similar examples occur to me of similar expressions that could be used in a perfectly innocent manner for a white player, but not for a black one.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Don't know. I don't know the person who wrote it, I have never met them, I don't even know their name. I have never heard them say a word in my life. As I said, it was not a smart use of the phrase, but what I said was certainly not disingenuous. There is quite a difference in outright calling someone a racial slur as poster Gene said, and what actually happened.

Per Forbes:

10. archinkent

archinkent Member

Talk about derailing a thread (an old one at that).

This thread was actually a good read until all the unnecessary race talk started by ONE post. :rolleyes:

11. langal

langal Contributing Member

He faced the same type of racism that white players face but to a greater degree. Black qbs used to face a similar racism. However he's made it and proven himself as a legit NBA player. No more race cards - especially any ridiculous McHale accusations.

Being Asian has also benefited him. The contract and SI covers may not have happened if he were not Asian. So while being Asian hurt his NBA chances it also led to greater rewards.

Lin is a nice underdog story and just leave it at that.

12. bobloblaw

The guy who wrote that article was fired. The anchor who made the "racist comments" on ESPN that everyone was outraged by? His wife (with whom he has a child) is Asian. People make mistakes. Move on.

13. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

1) I know next to squat about Lin's career path. But that any NBA caliber player did not receive a college scholarship raises question marks.

2) Correct. Yao did not break these barriers. You are right, they wouldn't disappear suddenly. You are wrong, Yao did experience hate. I recall reading about it periodically, though generally as a faint noise in the background.

3) Racism does not exist unless it is obvious to the outside world? I'm a white male. I've listened to people explicitly saying "He seems OK, but he's about the same as Joe. Why take a risk? Let's just hire Joe." Two people, roughly the same, one was black. Guess which one Joe was. It blew my mind. And guess how much anyone outside the company had a clue that racism was involved?

14. bobloblaw

(1) fair enough that you admit little knowledge--> you are making an assumption without evidence. This has no bearing on his NBA career
    (2) show me some examples of this widespread hate. I was a Rockets fan when Yao was drafted. I haven't heard any racism directed towards Yao or Lin. Sparse internet trolls have probably made comments but personal anecdotes of overhearing conversations are generally made up
    (3) obvious straw man. Clearly racism does exist. You used a generic example of employment discrimination that I'm not sure actually happened. Generally in such cases you need a smoking gun to prove it. Are you suggesting that McHale and others conspired against him? How has Jeremy been passed over due to race?

15. bobloblaw

Also--I know you used college scholarships rather than the draft as an example but you should read this article. I know that Lin publicly claimed he was discriminated against but I don't buy it. You have the right to claim he was conspired against but your claims are not falsifiable. They have no truth value.

http://freakonomics.com/2012/02/29/why-did-the-nba-miss-on-jeremy-lin/

16. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Lin without a ball dominant teammate? That team doesnt sound like winning a championship anytime soon.

17. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

What does widespread hate have to do with anything? No, you don't tend to hear racism directed toward anyone, because people react strongly to it. That's a good thing.

Lin's college career having no bearing on his NBA career? OK. Agree to disagree.

The generic example of employment discrimination happened 30 years ago. It blew my mind because at the time I didn't really even believe that kind of explicit racism existed anymore in this country. It makes no difference at all if you believe it happened, as there are documented cases of employment discrimination that clearly did happen. It made a big impression on me, though.

And since I have clearly stated I don't believe people on the Rockets are conspiring against him, I'm confused as to why you keep bringing it up.

18. yummyhawtsauce

This is unbelievable...so an ESPN blogger, blogging about the most popular athlete at that time, who happens to be the ONLY asian player in the league, wasn't conscious of his decision to use the word chink as a HEADLINE....society really is moving backwards at warpspeed

19. TheJet

TheJet Member

If you didn't see or even believe that level of racism didn't exist 30 years ago I don't know what to tell you. It was much worse than the example you cited. This discussion of a pro sport athlete's dealings with racism pales in comparison, but let's not derail this thread any further than it's come already.

20. yummyhawtsauce

Just a general question for you, is there more racism in certain parts of the US than others. I imagine California and New York, 2 coastal states would have more of a cultural mix. Anyone care to lend their insight on this?