1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin is a joke!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Nov 12, 2012.

?

Is Jeremy Lin a joke?

1. Yes :)

321 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. No :(

437 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. Balldon'tlie

Balldon'tlie Member

Are you serious? :eek:

2. Razsan

Razsan Member

Great....Jerry Seinfeld is on Clutchfans now!!! Welcome Jerry...you're a funny guy!

3. shadowmantis

shadowmantis Member

Being frustrated about one players performance is one thing, saying he's a D-League player when he's coming off 5 double digit point games and being fourth in scoring just sounds like trolling. It's just as bad as the guys who think he's as good as he was during Linsanity.

Does anyone here root for the whole team? Isn't that what being a supporter is? The business side of NBA (or any professional sport) brings out the worst in fans.

4. yummyhawtsauce

You can't even copy and paste stats correctly from ESPN. And you want to offer your basketball opinion?

5. archinkent

archinkent Member

You only been here for 3 months with 20 posts, and you think you can tell posters to leave? :rolleyes:

Just because you don't like Lin doesn't make you higher then those who support him.

6. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

This Lin hate is so surreal, he had 16/7 last night, isn't that what the expectation was? He had a +15 (everyone else were negative) which mainly came from the come back in the 3rd quarter where he score consecutively. Yea some of his shots selections were ugly but comon give him the credits where it's due

7. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

16 points on 18 shots and 2ft is bad. That equates to a TS% of 47.4%, which would be near the bottom of the league for a whole season.

On the other hand, 7ast 2to 2stl is good. That would be a great average for the season for any of our point guards.

Funny thing about using a team number like +/- to rate an individual player. You can have a great number doing nothing, and a terrible one playing great, because it depends on the 9 other players on the court. For example:

Lin in 1st quarter vs Toronto. 1-2fg, 2pts 2as, 1to, 1 steal. He's +10
    Harden in 2nd qrter vs Tor. 4-7fg 2-3 3pt, 3-3ft 13pt 1reb,1ast,1to. He's -5

Does that mean Lin played way better than Harden?

8. archinkent

archinkent Member

Personally I never rate a player on that, but there is no denying that it has been used many times to compare players' performance throughout the season. Even Clutch used that in his comparison of Bev and Lin as starters.

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

+/- gets a little better with a larger sample size, but there is a reason analysts came up with adjusted plus minus and regularized adjusted plus minus, and use multiple seasons worth of data. +/- from an individual game is pretty useless.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He needs to be benched for a while. He is hurting this team way too much

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Wth are you talking about? Lin is 7/27 from the field in the last 2 games. That is terrible.

12. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Lim played a very good, aggressive game last night against Toronto. If he plays as aggressively as he did in the last 2 games, the Rockets will be in very good shape. The shooting % will come up. Rockets just had poor defense against the 3/4 and Toronto did a better job of contesting shots.

13. Neped

Neped Member

Great post.

14. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I just wish he didn't pick up his dribble when he can't decide if he wants to shoot or pass. :mad:

15. PositivityDome

And it's a very accurate one. I see most of the same issues, though I have a different interpretation on some of them. Great to see wonderful basketball breakdowns on here!

- He is definitely slow laterally on defense, but closes out well both at the rim and on shots. Therefore it's easiest for the opposing PG to burn him on 10-15 ft J's.
    - He is slow laterally on offensive drives too, but not too bad. Very good at contorting his body in traffic for a pass/shot to combat the slow lateral foot speed.
    - One of the few points I disagree with is that Lin has a weak upper body. He finishes through contact a lot. Most of his shots at the rim are in fact layups through defenders. He's only able to do that due to his upper body strength, which is easily above average for a PG. He used to be even stronger in NY, (10 lbs heavier) and could finish even better through contact, but the weight on his entire body gave him knee problems, which is why he lost the 10lbs and is now less bullying-but more agile on his rim shots. (And he shoots at a higher % at the rim than in NY, which means his skill level at the rim has increased as he's become less dependent on finishing through contact on sheer physical ability alone.)
    - He is one of the fastest straight line players in the league... Like literally top 10, maybe 5.
    -His handles are definitely below average for a PG, (I wouldn't quantify them as poor) however they have also improved noticeably from last year, which is a good sign.

He'll never be Chris Paul because he just doesn't seem to have the knack for being a wiz with the ball, but I think if he learned how to dribble more intelligently, that would help his handling ability a ton.

For example, the main pet "move" he has added to his handling arsenal this year coming from last is the simple behind the back dribble. You usually see him do this when he's being pressured in the full court or top of the key and his defender reaches in. He'll then go behind the back and try to drive on the reaching (and out of position) defender... HOWEVER... he often loses fluidity when he goes behind the back and he even sometimes loses the handle for a split second. Therefore, that behind the back dribble he's doing now often is actually just a defensive move because he doesn't have the skill to execute it and to be honest, I don't think that's a move he should be patterning because it doesn't fit his skill set of a dribble drive guy. The behind the back dribble type moves are ideally for guys like Jamal Crawford who have very good-great lateral movement and can stutterstep from left to right with their dribble and get a good look at any time. Lin is not that type of player, and he would be better suited to develop a "Big PG," game, along the mold of Andre Miller or Gary Payton. Lin himself is a big PG, and so he has the option to use his size to back down smaller PGs and to then shield them with his body/shoulder. He doesn't even need to do behind-the-backs and crossovers, because he should just be able to turn around and back down/crab dribble on the perimeter at will if he knew how to position his body properly. However, I'm not sure the people who are coaching him are of this school of thought (which is def. old school) and it is disheartening as a fan of basketball, because this used to be basic fundamentals and yet it seemingly is very rarely taught now. Such a ball-handling style would do wonders for Lin, as it masks his naturally below average ability to handle while utilizing the strength of his size.

I see this as well, mainly in the fact that he still has a very mechanical jump shot on catch and shoots. (Doesn't really have this problem when he's on-ball.) He usually catches the ball, then gathers, and then he'll shoot (with his shot that is not that quick to begin with.) So he uses 3 motions to shoot, catch, bring the ball down to gather, shoot; when he should ideally be able to catch and shoot in two fluid motions.

Another issue I have with this stems from his body position on catch and shoots, as if you watch him on the perimeter, he'll just be standing up vertically waiting for a pass. If he then receives a pass, (since he's standing up vertically) this attributes to him needing to then gather (and bend his knees) before he can even get a shot off. It just takes too much time, is fundamentally flawed and the mentality of a shooter is not there. He needs to be hunching down when he's on the perimeter and looking to shoot (and be in position to shoot) before he even gets the ball. This is another nuance that for some reason isn't being taught to players these days, like wtf!

---

Other Notes:

As for your other points I pretty much agree with most points, though all the issues with his jumpshot off-ball stem from his body positioning, mentality + unnecessary form, while his jumpshot on ball problems usually stem from balancing problems, imo. He dribbles around often a lot around and in the paint, and then shoots on the run without centering himself first.

I whole heartedly agree about needing to develop a mid-range jumper (Sam Cassell's game would be perfect for Lin), as he can continually blow by his man every-time because of his first step, and therefore the 10-15 FT J should always be there for him. I advocate the short mid-range shot moreso than the floater because the stop and pop mid-range J fits with his game of aggressively attacking the basket, while an accurate floater requires a slowing down through lateral movement off of an initial burst of speed before shooting it (and Lin doesn't have the lateral movement) so his ability to develop a good floater is much lower than his ability to develop a mid-range J.

16. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

"is getting ridiculous"... that point was passed long ago. I'm not sure if there is an accurate single word term for the current level of [insert accurate single word term here].

17. Razsan

Razsan Member

the EXACT quote I was referring to was:
    "He was terrible last night. Beverly can't return fast enough."

But that being said - he was also NOT 7-27 on the last 2 games. It was 12-32 with 6-11 from 3...also not terrible. So, yeah....he was AMAZING :)

Also, last night Lin played decent defensively, had 7 assists, 2 steals, 2 TO's, hit a clutch 3 near the end and was aggressive to the hoop. His shot wasn't falling but he was getting to the rim.

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Hahaha. You are beyond pathetic

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

people are just using the 'lofs ruining the site' defence to hide behind their exaggerated criticisms, the amount of hate rep i've gotten (keep it coming) for suggesting that we should judge lin on how he performs on the basketball court and not because our internet experience is getting hurt (just block em duh) is absolutely hilarious. how crap must one's life be?

There are WAY too many posters here who should know better that get a hard-on when Lin's having a crap night the same way lofs do when Lin scores +25 in a win, just cause they wanna rub it in the nose of his fanbase. Everyone is trying to get one-up on each other, rather than just enjoying the fact we're having a great season/Beverley hopefully will be back soon.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Sugar coat it however you want so you can sleep better at night. He has been disappointing AF at 8.3 M per.

That's my bad though..skipped the Nets game. 13/41 (31.7%) in the last 3 so yeah Bev can't return fast enough.

Now, I await for some more sugar-coating from you.