1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. jtr

jtr Member

LOL. They have never given me a lesson. I posted quotes from NBA coaches and players (including Rockets assistant coaches) supporting my position and they countered with .gifs of games with players pointing at their elbows. About as weak as it gets. I personally would have never ever stooped so low to make an argument. They did not even post full clips. Just players seemingly pointing at their elbows. Weak ****.

Plus their understanding of the granular hierarchy of the NBA offense was incorrect from the start. Horns is not an offensive system, it is an offensive set. Gifs of players pointing at their elbows? LOL.

I know much more than the average Rocket fan. Perhaps not as much as Clutch, Bima and meh. But much more than the average fan.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

The more time you spend on the site, the more your general knowledge of the Rockets, stats, cba stuff, and general basketball knowledge should go up.

Unfortunately I spend way too much time on CF when I should be working more.... So I guess that makes me an expert damnit.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

What's weak **** is you gloating on the interwebs about your "analysis", "stats" and so called superior basketball know how while disparaging other posters. Fact is you wouldn't have to keep bringing that up and reminding others in your every post if you indeed had superior intellect which unfortunately you don't.

You post some of the most juvenile stuff like saying Clutch allows cyberx to post only because of the hits and revenues it generates.

Get off your high horse and realize that you're an average basketball fan - a highly insecure one at that.

2 people like this.
  4. duluth111222

duluth111222 Member

You sure? Nowadays only my blood pressure goes up when I come here.

1 person likes this.
  5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

After those worst than rookie coach mistakes at the end of the year, I knew McHale was too incompetent to coach to this team. The right coach and this team is 65+ win team, plain and simple.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No way. Even if Phil Jackson coached this team this season they wouldn't win more than 60. Early in the season this team lost mainly to chemistry issues. They've probably lost about 5 games to McHale's bad late game coaching.

These last few loses are about missing 3 starters and having a thin bench.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

"beginning" of the season *

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Member

Your lack of grammar/logic/reason/basketball understanding is astonishing. You don't deserve a response. Comparing this team to the talent of the best 90s Bulls teams is asinine. A good coach may add 5 wins.

9. yummyhawtsauce

lol you can learn to be an expert on trolling around here these days :p

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The game against the Lakers at the beginning of the season where McHale had the dumbest set ever and Blake hits the winning 3. Then that Philly game where Rockets were up 3 with just seconds left and didn't send the opponent to the free throw line. Even the TNT crew along with Yao had some words for that. McHale should have retired and done something else and let another coach have at it. This team got to 49 wins on pure talent but they could do much better without McHale.

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

To give slack to McHale it might be also his coaching staff. Those guys are beyond useless.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

I agree that McHale is a below average coach and I also agree that this team has won 49 games ins pite of McHale not because of him but you are stretching if you say we would have 65+ wins with a more competent coach.

58-60 wins is the ceiling for this team this season.

McHale has single handedly cost the Rockets about 5 games this season already.

I am more concerned come play off time when coaches are required to think on their feet and adjust game planes, make substitutions, call timeouts on the fly and McHale is incapable of doing that. He is always at least two possessions late. He is just not a good in game coach.

13. jtr

jtr Member

Defense 101. Defense is not a huddle time decision. It is developed through practice and game time experience. Man to man defense is well dead in the NBA. No NBA coach sets up a anything but the initial assignments on an inbound play on defense. Ball screens and off the ball screens employed by modern NBA offenses derail significant NBA defensive planning. If a NBA defense does not switch assignments it is dead. Thus the LAL game.

Almost no NBA defense can throw three new starters into the lineup at the beginning of the season, like the Rockets did, and expect to have a top 10 NBA defense. The one exception is integrating very good experienced (HOF) vets into a lineup, like Miami with Bosh and LBJ, or Boston with Garnett and Allen.

Defense develops as the players gain familiarity with the system and each other. Examples OKC and SAS (SAS has had a Pop system in place for well over a decade, and every player understands his role through years of hard work earning minutes). On defense each player on the floor needs to understand where all of the offensive players are, and where his teammates are. Plus the tendencies of both. Anticipation is the key. Anticipation will almost never be in place with second year players like Jones and Bev. Bev plays great man to man, in your face defense, but has some trouble with appropriate rotations and positional defense. He is a relative NBA newcomer.

NBA offenses and defenses are complicated. Much more so than the average fan recognizes. These are the best BB players on the planet, coached by the best coaching staffs in the world. I have to watch tape to get a good understanding of what is going on with defenses.

1 person likes this.
  14. jtr

jtr Member

I would love to hear your explanation of this conclusion. Given the very prominent MIT-Sloan Conference paper, you are assuming that McHale is the worst coach of this decade? 20/20 hindsight is not a valid way of evaluating coaching performance. The only valid methodology is to compare the talent available to the results. Over a full season. Do you have the expertise even to begin that study? Just asking.

15. jtr

jtr Member

LOL FTW Rockets FTW you just go in and snipe a couple of super critical and condescending posts off and then high tail your way away without ever defending your views? We have a modus operandi here. One without supportable convictions, just intent on belittling others and then running for cover. Sad.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

17. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

18. Kwame

Kwame Member

The Clippers won 56 games last year with Vinny Del Negro, but they let him go.

Also, if jtr is defending McFail, you know the Rockets really need a new coach. That guy is wrong on everything.

19. rolyat93

rolyat93 Member

He lost 3 games against playoff teams without the best C in the game, along with 2 other key starters. FIRE MACFAYLE

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

We should definitely be around 55-56 win mark right now. Mchale is not a coach he's a cheerleader and motivator. No strategy, no plays and no in game adjustments.