1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I've Seen Enough - Canaan Should Start

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Mar 29, 2014.

1. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Morey and McHale don't want mid range shots.Lin has a good mid range game but won't use it.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah, I mean Canaan might have the potential to be a better guard than even Sergio Llull so yeah right now I guess we have to just focus on whose in front of us. Still... reading about how awesome Real Madrid is doing kinda stinks cause I was really hoping they could make a play for Llull this Summer.

Anyways, Chad Ford this Summer said to Bill Simmons that he actually thought that Canaan would ultimately surpass Jeremy Lin which Simmons was surprised to hear him say. Even seeing the talent that he has shown the past couple games and seeing what Covington is doing right now in the D-League just makes you think... how in the world did these guys drop so far down, and out of such a weak draft in the first place?

If Canaan had been drafted in the mid 1st round, would anyone here really be so apprehensive to move him up to the starting PG spot all things considering? If Covington were taken either late 1st round, would people here be making threads about how he should be playing over Garcia, Casspi, and Hamilton?

I think people here are apprehensive to even think of Canaan as being a better starter than Lin for this team simply because of expectations due to draft status. If you think of him more as the 4th best PG prospect in the draft instead I think you'd see a lot more positivity around the thought of moving him ahead of Lin in his rookie year given the circumstances.

3. peter2012

peter2012 Member

I have seen enough Cannan played in the garbage time, he is not ready yet.

1 person likes this.
  4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

So...now that Beverley is def coming back, should we start Canaan? Keep his seat warm, and such? My biggest motivation for answering yes would be to prevent the LOFs from arguing that Lin had no rhythm this year because he wasn't allowed to, that we jerked him from the starting lineup and to the bench back n forth so many times that he never knew what his job was.

Then again if we don't start Lin the LOFs will be that much more offended by the slight, kinda like when Beverley first won the starting job. You can't win. Lin is still a useful player, but it feel like we need his bench scoring more than we need him to log heavy minutes with the starters. Next to PG Harden, all you really need is a guy like Canaan to hit some open threes and I think he might be the best shooter on this team.

5. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

6. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

Lin should not start. Not because Canaan is better lol. But because he needs to continue building his confidence with second unit. He needs consistency

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My main question is if Lin's role moving forward is going to be in the 6th man role why would you want to take him out of his role if you dont absolutely have to?

If Canaan sucks it up than sure, maybe you are forced to play Lin 40+ minutes a game just to minimize the time on the court that Canaan has, but if thats not the case my opinion is to keep guys in their current roles so that way when Beverley comes back, there is more continuity to what they do going into the playoffs.

8. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

If Canaan-sanity is anything like Lin-sanity, please no. :p

Maybe, Canaannihilation?? lol

9. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

has LIN's play swayed any of you about a move for Rondo now? I know Rondo can't shoot but he can do everything else

10. yummyhawtsauce

Lin had a crappy game last game, but I'm still confident he can be really good for this team in the playoffs, on the issue of rondo, now there's a guy i would have no problem having Lin come off the bench for, Rondo has the pedigree to warrant starting over Lin

11. Nook

Nook Member

No, it is too close to the playoffs. You give Lin the start and try to build up his confidence. Caanan will still get minutes as the backup. The Rockets need to be hitting on all cylinders if they have any shot at beating SA, OKC or LAC.

The Rockets are a far more dangerous team with Lin playing at a high level off the bench.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Average DWill > that JLin on his best day?

How well informed...

I'm no Jeremy Lin is always awesome, guy, but Lin on a good day can be a triple double or well over 30 points. DWill is good, but not that good. Replace DWill with Cliff Paul and you have an argument.

13. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

How the heck!

I just looked up the stats and Lin is way better than Beverley in every category with less minutes. How in the heck did that happen? Bev is a star and Lin is a scrub. Just goes to show stats don't tell the true story.

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You have to go deeper into the stats like the ones that show how good the team is with and without JLin and when the team is good with/without Lin. He's a very good player to have, but you do have to use him correctly. Aka, when Harden is out and their pg isn't lighting it up.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol didn't need to bother responding. He's allowed the Lin bashing to push him over the edge into sarcastically trolling in the other direction.

16. Mariachi ROCKET

Do it Coach Mac

17. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Yeah--this guy is a Lin fan who really does not have a good sense of humor. Keep fighting the good fight brah. ;)

18. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I think Canaan is going to be a negative for the team when playing without Harden, because he is going to be forced to try to do too much.

Lin did one thing I like Saturday - had 8 FTA's. I'm in agreement with those who say his aggressiveness helps us more on the second team, but it would take guts to start a rookie over your $8M guy, I don't see it happening.

19. jms99

jms99 Member

Agree with you and the original that Canaan can beat Lin and Asik one vs. two.

20. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Of course Canaan is better suited to the starting spot than Lin. He can shoot 3s... unlike Lin. Lin's minutes need to be limited so he doesn't go on a turnover frenzy and totally lose games for us.