1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

I've Seen Enough - Canaan Should Start

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You are an idiot. I hope I expressed that clearly enough for you.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

OMR you don't hand the reigns over to an untested rookie recently out of the D-League after one good game -- particularly at the end of the season when you are trying to secure a high playoff position.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Maybe, but perhaps not in that particular post.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Lin has, unfortunately, become the king of not stepping up when it counts.

And here's my impersonation of a 2013er: /thread

(because I'm so important and entitled)

#344 don grahamleone, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. Old Man Rock

The point isn't how well Canaan played or how poorly Lin played. It's that IMO Lin does not work well with this Rockets team as a starter. Unlike some I do believe Lin at his best is a solid NBA player. But I do not see him as a starter on a decent team. I think we have a decent team and Harden is our go to guy. And Lin is a step down from that.

He works well when healthy off the bench. He hasn't worked well starting. I don't know exactly why that is but it has happened enough to not want to see him start anymore. Maybe he just tries too hard. Maybe he can't handle the stronger defenders. Maybe the bigger role is just too stressful. But whatever it is I just think he helps this team more off the bench.

I know some say the will hurt his pride too much or Canaan isn't better or maybe it's all psychological and if he can just get passed it, he'll come out on the other side better. I do not disagree, but that's not the point. I have seen him enough in the starting role and his play drops off. I am not saying Canaan is better. Perhaps he will be or maybe not but what has been evident in Lin's starts lately is his game has dropped off considerably. If you disagree with that I suggest you go back and watch all his games he started while Bev was out with his last injury.

Lin just plays better off the bench. There is a big drop off from his bench play and his starting play. Maybe it's a long series of legitimate excuses but from my perspective it looks like he has some kind of fear or curse or mental block when starting. That is why I want Canaan to start over him. Even with that I do agree this is a bit premature and he should get a couple more shots and see if he can deliver. Just not confident he will, not as a starter.

6. archinkent

archinkent Member

Your first post was pretty clear on that, but I am sure most here didn't even bother to read it. They saw the title and assume it's a Lin hate post and proceed to write their usual generic Lin hate one-liners.

7. Old Man Rock

I would agree if Lin played close to the way he plays off the bench. He just forces too much and picks up his dribble too much and makes bad passes to Asik who has the worst hands in the league too much. And I've seen him do that to much as a starter lately and seem to do it much less off the bench. Maybe the sample size is too small, I concede that. But it's a lot more than one game.

I am glad to hear him acknowledge. That's always the first step in improving. But it doesn't automatically mean he will. Before the game he acknowledge he was going to need to step up his game and it seems he just tries too hard. Beverly tried harder on the defensive end and that's where Lin needs to start. Not forcing things in the paint against Deandre Jordan. The bottom line is I am not the coach and do not get to say who starts. I am sure McHale won't take my advice and will start Lin again. I hope he gets his A game back as a starter. If not I hope Bev comes back for the playoffs. We need something out of PG spot to get out of the first round.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think there is a large contingent on here taking your post to mean: "Canaan is better than Lin" and thus should start. I see it as, "what is the best way to use Lin so that he's effective, post Bev injury".

I imagine Lin would still get 30 minutes or so, but we need offense off the bench when Harden sits. Lin can come in and get in rhythm, then take over when Harden sits. If he starts, he's too tired to take over the offensive 1st option role.

Lin fans love to see Lin run the offense. I think Rockets fans do too, if he's rolling. So, why is there such a big fight about us all getting to see what we want to see, which is bursts of Linsanity?

9. gene18

gene18 Rookie

According to Bullard, Drexler and Worrel,Lin is averaging 14.5 points a game when he starts (this year). IIRC

10. gene18

gene18 Rookie

I don't want to get into and arguement, but do you have the complete numbers for Lin starter play and bench play. Last year he Averaged 13,5 points a game starting . His assits wre in the 5's. 3pt percentage 34. TO's 2.8 a game, this year 2.5 per game.

11. gene18

gene18 Rookie

After a couple of game Cannan might start. That has been Mchale's tendencies. I recall last year he had Tony Douglas close out games because he was "a better defender". Lin replaced Tony in New York and Tony was a totally iincompetant PG. he now has been traded thee times and is riding the bench in Miami as the third PG behind Cole. He gets a few minutes a game. McHale did not see it that way last year, so there is a good chance that Cannan may start ,or get starters minutes off the bench, or close out the game.

12. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

I think it's completely psychological. I feel bad for the guy. Doesn't matter how much money you make if you're not satisfied doing your job.

13. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

You feel bad for a guy making 15 million next year playing basketball because he's not satisfied with his job???!!!

I'm sure Lin doesn't give a **** about what I or anybody else says on this board.

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Who said he does?

15. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Some stats taken from Basketball-Reference today comparing Lin starter production to his reserve production.

Starter 26games 14.2 PTS PG 3% .352 TS% .584 AST 4.7 PG

Reserve 36 games 11.1 PTS PG 3% .320 TS% .52 AST 3.9

Minutes played as starter 866 Minutes played as reserve 919

Lin obviously produces better as a starter.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

And Rockets have been better while Lin has been on the bench (3.5 +/- as starter, 5.3 +/- as reserve). Also pts/game and assist/game are basically identical on a per minute basis. The 3 point percentage is surprising though.

17. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

You have seen enough? Be patient Old Man

18. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

That's definitely debateable

19. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

The difference is D.Will's a top NBA PG who's been productively consistent this season. Eremy Lin hasn't been consistent since he came here. Terrible comparison

DWill>Eremy Lin on his best day

20. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

If one game is enough for you I'd hate to have you as head coach lol