1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Video Game Pros Be Like Sports Pros

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pirc1, Mar 19, 2014.

1. supdudes

supdudes Member

I don't know...But I don't think there's nearly as much testosterone involved.

I'd rather watch powerlifting or MMA tbh.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Member

You cannot imagine what games will look like in 25 years, just think how different is today's game from the first pacman. Of course not everyone will watch it, just like you do not watch pro tennis, but it does not mean it does not have many followers.

3. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Maybe It's because I'm big into the whole video game thing but guys like Steve Weibe, Billy Mitchel and Thor Ackerlund (who lived in Houston, now Dallas) have had their own documentaries and stuff. Hell I think Mitchell has his own hot sauce lmao

I don't remember who did what games but I'm pretty sure Mitchell is the all time leading scorer in Pacman (I think he got the max score before a game-breaking bug crashed the game sometime in the 1980s) and Weibe did Donkey Kong.

4. supdudes

supdudes Member

Unless they actually make something out of wii-sports, I don't see how E-gaming can be compared to actual sports, or exercise for that matter.

When all you do is employ minimal hand and limb movements, you don't exhaust any muscle fibres in your major muscles or your heart. You don't become physically stronger, baring the changes in your hand reflex and finger twitching. True that gaming can become a sport, and even have some of the emotions traced back to gladiators in the Colosseum. However, it will never be true physical competition, and so will always lack a certain rawness about it.

On a personal level I just don't identify with it. It's cool that so many people like it though, variety being the spice of life.

5. Hmm

Hmm Member

good grief................

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

They are in S. Korea.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

I think they will max out at Billiards pros but never reach the momentary high of Poker pros.

8. dback816

dback816 Member

Is baseball and bowling can be sports, than anything can be a sport.

9. heypartner

heypartner Member

I won a Leisure Suit Larry Tournament in Vegas once, back in the day.

My competitors claimed my joystick gave me an unfair advantage.

What was weird was a Japanese 17yr girl got second.

10. MystikArkitect

11. Dei

Dei Member

No because the games get replaced every year.

12. Dei

Dei Member

Love the sarcasm bro. I laugh every time I check who wrote such a sarcastic comment and find you.

13. dback816

dback816 Member

Who are you again?

Oh right, you're the guy who makes fun of dead Asian people. How's that going btw? Find any recent tragedies to make LOF jokes yet or do you need some help? :)

14. Dei

Dei Member

You're still hung up about that? I thought by now you would've realized that was a joke -- black comedy. It's not always to everyone's palate but it was made in jest.

You should try it sometime. Better than having a sarcastic attitude about everything; it's not healthy. Just some friendly advice.

15. meh

meh Member

No. Because video games have no staying power. There will always be a new video game every few years simply because of technology and innovation. The reason why sports is stable is because no one can invent a new soccer game or new basketball game. But games are ever changing.

16. Christopher

Christopher Member

I think with the right game it could be possible. Imagine what GTA will be like in 20 years time. Who is to say that the best players in that won't be media stars in some capacity?

Ironically you might see an immersive game like GTA where you can play sport within the game and get famous for that.

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'm not sure if a room of sweaty dudes with neckbeards panting heavily will bring in teh endorsements.

18. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Whatever GTA game comes in 20 years will soon be replaced by the GTA game that comes in 25 years. I could imagine one prefer watching others play sports in GTA rather than watching real sports, not.

19. Katsu

Katsu Member

[​IMG]

Ahem

20. pirc1

pirc1 Member

Maybe not every year, but games go through cycles, this is a big problem. Either you will have these all round good players who are basically good at almost all video games or you will not have super stars. Maybe there will be games that have staying power in the future.