1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need some help. Any CF in NYC?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chrispbrown, Mar 19, 2014.

1. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I have been applying to some jobs recently and get a call the other day from a place called "Research Data Center" in Brooklyn NYC. OK, nothing weird about that, I have been applying to research positions.

They email me a couple of questions after the phone call. I feel somewhat suspicious after the call and the questions. They asked like 3 different ways why I am a fit for the job...seemed like they were just filling space to look legit.

Of the two people who have emailed/called me I can find nothing really about them online. The website, http://www.data-center-research.com/, is a basic wordpress template with no real information about who works there or anything. They have no facebook, linkedin, glassdoor, ect. The real final kicker was the guy send me an employment for, w-4, and i-9 at 3:45 am last night.

I am pretty sure this is a scam. Could any of you guys on here find anything more about this company if you are a little more savvy finding information than I am?

I am not going to take the job, so at the very least let this be a reminder to people that there are scams out there in almost every direction and be careful with you information.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What is the scam?

3. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

To steal my info. Kinda lay it all out there on a w4

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Hopefully you didn't give out any personal information over the phone.

5. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Hah no of course not

6. updawg

updawg Member

Hate to tell you this, but it's a scam

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Here is there whois info

Russian Registrar. Hasn't been around long. It could mean they used odesk or something to make their website, but the website hasn't been around long so it looks kind of suspicious.

8. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Yea I am aware and it's not a big deal; I have a job right now but just want to do something different.

9. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I really don't think you needed clutchfans in NYC to help you with that one...

10. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Yea it looks to me you already convinced yourself it is a scam. Also, I can say....

Its a scam.

11. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Wasn't really thinking with the title, but called the leasing agent for property they are listed at and they are not and have not ever had a company named that there.

I guess now I just want to just reiterate caution for other peeps, don't want anyone being scammed.

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yeah that was funny.

He's like 'yeah I need someone here right now in my town to get to bottom of this.'