1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale on the hot seat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by do work son, Mar 16, 2014.

1. do work son

do work son Member

does anyone feel like he should be? shouldn't be?

imo, he was brought in to "baby" a young roster and then we lucked into dwight and harden and i just don't think he's a championship caliber coach.

offensively, we play nothing more than pickup basketball. our only look to get open shots in the half court is hoping someone breaks down their defender which won't always work come playoff time.

i don't mind the run and gun style offense, but i wish in the half court we were more creative. we're 5 months into the season and we still struggle getting dwight the ball in good spots, and not 15 feet from the basket. we're slow bringing it up court, lack movement off the ball, stagnant passing, and usually end up running isolations.

pics of rockets power dancers just for stopping by
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

/rant

2. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Poor substitution patterns and timeout calling is more problematic than lack of good plays imo.

3. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

You know who'd be a great coach for us? Rick Adelman :/

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

dissapointing pics. 2 star thread.

5. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

What you have a problem with his "play harder" answer to everything?

6. do work son

do work son Member

i miss rick adelman :(

yao and the chuck wagon dropping dimes for easy back door layups. i feel like this team has to work way too hard to get easy buckets.

most of this comes off the heels of watching the spurs a lot more recently. it's crazy how they get so many wide open looks, and just get all their guys in perfect spots. crisp ball movement, perfect floor balance/spacing. after each pass, a player moves to another spot with actual determination instead of ball watching like we do. even when their bench comes in, they run their offense and still out execute teams.

7. AFS

AFS Member

Rockets have won a lot of games. Yeah, he's made some bad substitution patterns, but he's also made some really good ones. Small-ball lineup at the end of the Portland game worked out really well.

8. noone

noone Rookie

I could see both Morey and Mchale being on the hot seat. Mchale because of circumstances and Morey comes across as manipulative. Which is something owners don't like.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

And yet we're only six games behind the best record in the league.....and if they could have signed a true shooter or two, we'd probably be challenging that record right now.

He makes mistakes, but you can't play better in the halfcourt, unless there is spacing, and we can't consistently get that, if teams are successfully disrupting our only post threat.

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

exactly! this is not just the answer to any roadblocks the rockets run into, but you can apply it to any problem in your life.

problem - i dont have enough money
    answer - PLAY HARDER!

problem - my gf thinks im small down there
    answer - PLAY HARDER!

problem - im only 4foot tall i cant make it in the nba
    answer - PLAY HARDER!

we need a new f**kin head coach!!! :mad:

1 person likes this.
  11. Hmm

Hmm Member

regular season...

and playoffs...

which would you give more significance to...?

12. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Rick Adelman would help this team a lot. We would be better with him. We should have won 60 games this season.

13. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Instead he is taking a possible 5-8 seed to not even making the playoffs.

14. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

It's different. We had a mediocre roster for few years with Rick Adelman and it is not fair. But with this team we currently have, we would be a lot better with Rick.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Rick Adelman was turning this into Auschwitz. He had a good philosophy but him being a grumpy dictator pissed me off. JVG at least had elite defense.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

In the first two years when we actually had rim protection, Adelman's teams had elite defense too.

17. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Rick isn't a moreyball coach get over it coaches like Hollins, rick the van gundy's arnt the best option for this team the way they are built.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think he meant this year's Wolves team.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

By that token, no one should care about this loss. Why not wait until the playoffs to determine McHale's worth?

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

It's hard to blame McHale for this stretch... Tough teams on the road. What is telling is how they finish games and how they finish up the season. If they beat any elite teams the rest of the way. I found it disappointing how we finished up poorly last year after clinching a playoff berth. Right now we are a lock for home court. If we lose that I say fire the man.