1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[breaking] Malaysian Airlines loses contact with Beijing-bound flight, 239 on board

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

By stalling at some point? Losing fuel?

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

They must be connecting to those underwater cell towers or the moon based ones.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yeah well, that one is pretty suspicious...if worn by a guy :p.

1 person likes this.
  4. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I think that is essentially what happened with the Air France flight.

Because of a serious of actions by one of the first captains, the plane began to rapidly ascend at 7,000 ft/min at an attack angle of 16-30 degrees steady. It rose to 38,000 ft. and began a free fall at 10,912 ft/min after the plane stalled and lost lift.

In this particular case, apparently the Captain warned the first officers of upcoming turbulence before taking a nap (3 person crew per regulation). The first officer disengaged from normal law to alternate law (essentially autopilot I think) and because of this lost the automated reactions it brought with it.

The plane hit turbulence, veered right, he over compensated to the left and began to climb to try and stabilize. Eventually reaching a pitch and peek speed (engines were operating at 100%/take off mode) before losing lift and descending.

The whole thing took under like 5 minutes. I can't even imagine what that would be like.

I think the whole thing happened in less than 5 minutes.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Autopilot is almost always on during a commercial flight. Otherwise passengers would constantly feel adjustments during flight and be a little creeped out.

6. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

They know this from the black box. The pilot switched from normal law to alternate law. I barely know anything about the subject, but from what I gather "normal law" is standard auto-pilot. "Alternate law" seems to be something like auto-pilot with certain manual controls with a loss of certain functions (stall protection/pitch control).

I was wrong to say that it "alternate law" is disengaging from auto-pilot though.

Are there any pilots or aviation experts who can clarify?

And of course it is almost always on...that's why there's almost never a crash...

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

WTF tintin?

[​IMG]

8. Bandwagoner

Like I said on the first page, I have had a recent addiction to aircraft investigations. I wasn't really correcting you, just adding some info.

That episode would explain the story better than any bbs post.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/ZHduB-knlt0?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/ZHduB-knlt0?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'm curious to know if this has made you more nervous/scared about flying? I find the topic really fascinating but also pretty creepy for some reason.

10. Bandwagoner

Mixed effect. Less nervous on huge planes from good airlines and more nervous on small planes.

I fly BA, Air China and UA all the time. I try to avoid smaller regional planes and crews though.

#210 Bandwagoner, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I have not heard that cell coverage was so bad in that part of the world -- quite the opposite -- but let's say it was bad at that one spot in the gulf of Thailand (makes sense), so wherever they took the plane next, it was similarly terrible cell coverage? Kind of requires a James Bond logic leap, but we'll see.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>CNN JUST IN -- "Large solid debris" sighted in sea by Cathay Pacific Airways pilots <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#MalaysiaAirlines">#MalaysiaAirlines</a> <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#MH370">#MH370</a></p>&mdash; Vaughn Sterling (@vplus) <a href="https://twitter.com/vplus/status/443231550524899328" data-datetime="2014-03-11T03:46:51+00:00">March 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Amamama

Amamama New Member

This is interesting because I flew last week on a domestic flight and I was stopped twice, security asked me to remove my wristwatch, they examined and then returned it to me. I'd never had that happen before and I fly quite a bit. Interesting.

14. Bandwagoner

I think the key word you missed there was OCEAN.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

A broadcast point typically covers a few miles in radius. This is why you see wireless towers all over the place. This is one of the few reasons why cell phones can't be used on planes. One would drop the call every couple minutes or so.

Now granted RF can take a mind of its own over water and go for miles and miles, the actual cell phone radio doesn't have the power to transmit back.

16. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I hope this something new, but I think it might be the same as the commercial plane that spotted debris near Vung Tau yesterday.

Crowdsource effort to find wreckage is here: http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014. they are legit recent sat photos. saw this reported at the guardian. they are supposed to be updating with new imagry to cover the expanded search area soon. down to 100ft zoom. at the least you can have some fun tagging ships and oil rigs.

17. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

What's the government trying to hide? Maybe the airliner collided with a new top secret stealth plane.

*I put on my robe and my tin foil hat.*

18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Probably my favourite Tintin issue ever!:)

19. Throttle

Throttle Member

amazing that 239 pple can just vanish for 36hrs++ n counting... this is a passenger jet not a stealth figher FFS... unbelievable...

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Would a small bomb, like a shoe bomber type scenario, have been effective at say blowing a hole in the plane without totally blowing it up, causing to drop out of the sky, or perhaps rip into two?