1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Think The Rockets Got A Shot This Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Mar 6, 2014.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Hell I am not giving up on the second seed. I am after all a fan.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Regarding concerns about playoff coaching:

It seems to me that the one big tactical thing that a coach does that can shift a series is recognize favorable or unfavorable matchups and make lineup or offensive/defensive tactics changes accordingly if you have the guys with whom to do this.

For example, OKC stubbornly sticking with Perkins likely cost them a chance to beat Miami and likely cost them a couple games vs. Houston last season, too. San Antonio, on the other hand, wisely went "small" often with Kawhi or Diaw instead of Splitter (who was very good in earlier when they needed him to bang bigs) and devised the "dare Lebron and Wade to shoot Js" strategy on defense to give themselves a chance.

I think the Rockets staff showed last year that they were very willing and able to make the kind of significant changes to maximize the team's chances in an underdog situation. After getting blown out in game 1, the team played small ball exclusively.

3. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

Although I agreed with much of your thoughts and as much as I think/want us to contend and win as always. I fear the clippers like crazy....everytime we have played them we struggle. I feel they are the Rockets but more athletic and far superior at the point and in the bench. I still think we can contend, but definitely need to show up against the pacers and somehow overcome the clippers.

4. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Lin no good??? Blasphemy!

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

In my opinion the Rockets can win a ring next year, they are better than the entire league realizes, the only thing they need in order to achieve this is a better bench.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I really cannot believe that if the head coach was screwing up strategy that his boss would not have McHale in an office pointing out the mistakes. In great detail. In easy to understand four letter words.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The Lin that always shows up for the playoffs.

I'm with most everyone here regarding OKC/LAC. My hope is that we stay in the 2 or 3 seed and the Clippers and Thunder are at 4 and 1 respectively. That way we only have to beat one of them to get to the Finals.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I do too. Just because I do not understand a lifestyle does not mean that I will condemn it. Live and let live.

9. Raven

Raven Member

This season is like a good candy bar, the outer coating is gone, and we are now at the chewy part. ;)

10. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

We can beat any team we want if our bench can step it up, Lin needs to grow a pair and start playing like his old self and Asik is improving, so I like our chances

11. Yohohoho

Yohohoho Member

I think we have a shot. My hopes are higher now than earlier this season. I believe houston can challenge any of the top teams to a 7 game series. I am amazed by the improvements of the team and I have lots to say.

But to the point, I will take Lin as our weakest link any day.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Right now I think the worst case scenario is a battle among Portland/Clippers/Rockets for the 3-4-5 spots. And we have to play everyone til the bitter end for homecourt. If we can at least sew up homecourt even as a 4th seed, meaning one of Clippers/Blazers bow out, then there's probably more reason for them to rest the starters a bit.

13. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I think that we have a chance every year, but that's just me.

1 person likes this.
  14. sergio

sergio Member

No one in the west wants to play the Rockets in the playoffs. Rockets are the most unpredictable team. Hard to plan for in a 7 game series. Even the experts admit they can't figure this team out which makes this team dangerous. There's a reason we have the best record since the new year and it's not luck.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

So meh, IYHO what is the best case scenario?

16. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

It's crazy how many times the Rockets have played elite teams on the tail end of a back to back. That being said, the Clippers seem to have the Rockets' number for some reason. If Redick comes back then I'll be legitimately worried about a first round loss in the event of a 4/5 match up. That guy goes crazy in first quarters and puts Houston in an early hole. I have no stats to back this up, but the Rockets seem to play at their worst when they have to claw back into a game.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

21 games to go. Don't get your panties twisted up in a knot just yet.

18. Throttle

Throttle Member

too early. if they finish 3rd seed then theres good chance of WCF... Clippers gona b their biggest problem imo

19. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

If the rockets are going to go deep in the playoffs these are the key factors

1. Cut down on turn overs

2. Bench scoring but also bench defense. They need to hold Leeds or keep the rockets in the game atleast until starters are back.

3. How dwight handles doubles as defense and offense will be more half court.

4. Jeremy Lin. Like it or not but he is going to be a huge X factor.

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

If we grab the 3rd seed and face GSW in the first round, I like our chances. In the second round we will probably face the 2nd seed, which is most likely the Spurs, again I like our chances based on the regular season record (but Spurs are a different team in the playoffs). If we advanced to the WCF, it's probably going to be OKC or Clippers. That's the true test. I feel if we somehow could get past WCF, we would have a pretty good shot at IT, especially against the Heat.