1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons: 10 Steps to Tanking Perfection

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-bag-volume-2-10-steps-to-tanking-perfection/

- I don't personally blame Philly for doing what it did-- and I imagine that Morey would agree. The problem is that the system encourages Philly (and other teams) to do this. It's one of those "don't hate the player, hate the game" situations.

- I get the point that being on a tanking team risks "breaking" young prospects by giving them bad habits (Simmons' example is Antoine Walker), but some young guys come through these situations just fine (Kevin Durant, for one, and frankly most of the top stars in the NBA were at one time high draft picks on a bad teams).

- Tanking is becoming a bigger issue because 1) more teams are hip to its usefulness now (some intend to tank all season and some decide to tank half way into the season) and 2) the media and fans are more aware of the incentive for being bad than ever.

On Los Angeles sports radio, for example, both hosts and callers are openly questioning why the Lakers are even trying to win games now and many are frustrated when the team does gut out a win. I just don't see how having this kind of atmosphere in half of your markets is good for the NBA's business.

- I get the question about top prospects avoiding a market by coming out a year late if, say, Milwaukee has the top pick. There is an easy fix, though. Just make the top 3 picks of each year be subject to a 3 team lottery for the teams scheduled to go 1, 2 and 3 that year.

#1 Carl Herrera, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

your 2013-14 NBA Rookie of the Year

[​IMG]

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

I agree completely. You're not building fans by trotting out crap for a whole season. The 76ers lineups are the kind a 13 year old plays against to get all the achievements. It's embarassing.

Meanwhile, you've got all these other teams (Bucks, Cavs, Knicks etc) that suck by mismanagement or by accident. They're going to need saving too, and there's simply not enough talent. By having tankers, you're making it harder and harder to get the horrible, trying teams into the playoffs.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

This is the Astros strategy, but even more brilliant, they are making the most money too!

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Great piece.

Simmons really doesn't like Stern.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Simmons at his absolute best.

They should have never put him on TV

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Meh. Rondo can't shoot either - is he a terrible player?

Granted, MCW isn't Rondo, but there hasn't been a better rookie this year.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

lol @ the *Josh Smith is 104.

They should give out an Antoine Walker award annually, to the person who manages to chuck up the most 3's at a horrible percentage while somehow managing not to get benched. Josh Smith is the easy winner this year, probably many years previous too.

Two years ago I woulda given the award to Andrew Bynum, just because of the hilarity of even shooting 5 threes in the season. That and voter fatigue.

9. AusFan

AusFan Contributing Member

The whole last paragraph about what's wrong with the NBA was the best part of the article.