1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo, anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by QazQay, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

We won't have the cap room.

2. galpeleg

galpeleg Member

Melo is a poison pill.

he is EXTREMLY talented, and have the potential to be a GREAT player, but his ego and selfishness simply ruined /ruining /will ruin every team he play in.
    u cant have chemistry with a player who want ALL the glory and NONE of the hard work (and last year show that D12 is not Gasol and react BAD to such attidute).

i dont c Lebron leaving Miami , i hink for him is more about place in history and not about money and he wont risk a 2nd decision.

i think Rockest year will be when KD will become FA, Harden and KD are friend, and i douth OKC could keep him.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Not even reading any of these posts I do not understand the infatuation with Melo. Does the Houston offense even have the shots to allocate to Melo? Can Houston withstand the porosity of Melo's defense along side of Harden? Does Melo's offense map favorably into the Morey designed offense consisting of 3's and at the rim shots? Does it make sense to add an offense only player to a top five offensive team in the NBA? Just asking. I feel sure that Morey has already answered those questions. And IMHO it probably is not looking good for Melo in Houston.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Anthony would work if Harden and Howard were willing to share shots with him. You just can't start Parsons with Harden and Melo. You would need a lockdown SF that can hit the 3.

I do think that Melo would be an ideal stretch 4 if he was willing to adapt to that role. The argument that he wouldn't adapt is certainly valid.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Absolutely not... He obviously doesn't make the players on the Knicks any better.

6. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Ideally, the team would adjust to Melo and Melo to the team. He is shooting over 40% from 3 at good volume. At a volume the Rockets would prefer - ~6
    +/36min - I think he would still be a 37-40% shooter which is obviously much better than what T. Jones brings. Melo's volume of isolation plays would decline and the rest he would take from poor Parsons, Beverley and Lin iso's. The mismatch potential is greater here than New York since we have a star guard already in Harden who draws the team's best defender and a wing in Parsons who can't realistically be guarded by a big man. At least one of Harden, Melo or Parsons will be freed up greatly against most teams simply due to matchups.

Also Melo is not a good defender, for sure, but he's better than Jones so at the very least we upgrade a bit on that end.

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Interesting today NBC sports has an article stating the Lakers are waiting for the 2015 FA spree rather than go after Melo this summer.

Also that Melo is not interested in waiting around for a Knicks rebuild that will likely take until 2015 to add another star. Source is Frank isola.

Conclusion? Rockets are the logical choice big 3 of Melo, Harden, and Howard in 2014/2015.:cool:

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Or he'll go to the Bulls which makes a lot more sense.

9. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

The said the same thing about the Heat.. not enough shots for the three of them. How about team USA? If Melo wants to join Harden and Howard, why on earth would you say no? Other teams would kill to get that opportunity.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Haha. Those lakers are so spoiled. They thing they gonna get lebron and love.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Melo knows how to play ball. He would easily put this team over the top.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Melo would do excellent with a vet old school point guard like Andre miller, Kidd, Payton but not with these submissive point guards now. He needs somebody to keep him in check. Best place for him is clippers. Cp3 ain't just gonna give the rock up for you to iso, go on and spot up and he will find you. I would still pick him up.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Only to a Bulls fan.

Harden>Rose
    Howard>Noah
    Parsons>Butler

Houston is superior to the Bulls except for maybe coaching.

14. count_dough-ku

Wouldn't we need cap space to sign Melo? Lin and Asik don't come off the books til 2015. And the Knicks, even as dumb as they are, aren't doing a sign and trade for those two.

15. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Trade Asik to the Sixers for a second round pick they're way under the cap. Trade Lin to a team in a similar situation maybe the bucks or jazz.

Maybe then some sort of sign and trade of Garcia and DMo to the Knicks? Brewer is gone too and likely Hamilton. You couldn't offer 20m to start but you could get close to 18 or so.

Again if Melo leaves NY for any other team he's making less money. Once he decides to leave the the question becomes what team gives him the best chance to win?

17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I watched him in Denver for years with plenty of "trustworthy" guys. Granted, the team had a better record, but Melo IS and will ALWAYS be a volume shooter and the most one-dimensional superstars in the game until he retires.

18. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Huh? Some of you guys are willing to pass on one of the 5 best scorers in the league and a perennial MVP candidate because he's on a team that sucks and he's taking alot of shots there?

Melo has been playing basketball all of his life. Don't think for a second that if he comes to Houston he won't embrace the team concept. Otherwise he'd stay in NY, or go to Philly...or Charlotte.. or wherever. WINNING is trending in the NBA right now. Not max contracts. Not egos. If we can make room for him and our situation is more attractive to him than any other it's Dwight Howard all over again.

I think the dark horse pick for him is Brooklyn. The luxury tax does not scare
    Prokhorov.

19. mockster

mockster Member

This ^^ I find it odd people would pass up on Melo. He brings instant offense can pretty much score from every where. He can match up with Lebron and can even play PF. Who in there right mind would say naah. Now with that said chances of us getting Melo is like impossible but I would defiantly take him over love and Aldridge.

20. count_dough-ku

My problem with Melo is that he may be a great individual player, but his teams have never accomplished much. He's been out of the first round only twice in his entire career if I'm not mistaken. And I also fear he's a bad fit alongside James Harden. Parsons is a much better(and less expensive) complementary player.