1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Primary Elections

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Early voting starts next Tuesday 2/18

Primary Election Day is Tuesday 3/4

GOP Sample Ballot
    DEM Sample Ballot

If no candidate gets 50%, the top two go to a runoff on 5/27.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I can't wait to vote!

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I almost never vote in primaries and this year will not be an exception.

See you in November.

5. Commodore

6. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

What for you makes Stovall a better candidate than Cornyn?

Looking at Stovall's website I find his platform to be a little underwhelming.

It seems to me he is another person pandering to morals rather than things that actually affect the country. If abortion is gone and guns are everywhere that's great, but it does not really change anything.

Repeal/cancel ACA. That is a fine stance and can be justified, but I think his debt issues are purely political. Reducing debt has nothing to do with raising the debt ceiling as we all know. I would be more impressed if he offered an actual solution to lowering our debt. I would love to have more money and lowering taxes would give me more money, but I think never raising taxes is just as silly as always raising them.

7. Commodore

For starters, all things being equal, vote the incumbent out, reject a permanent DC ruling class. At the very least, force a runoff and put some scare into Cornyn, make him work for it. It's always a healthy thing for a politician to fear the voters.

Cornyn has been ineffectual at making the case for limited government and advancing the ball in that area. That's part of his job as a member of leadership especially. He was in the senate during the profligate spending years of GWB, and did nothing to push back. Plus he voted for TARP.

Time to give someone else a shot.

#7 Commodore, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  8. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I can get on board with that. I agree the fear of the "unknown" and name recognition of the incumbent probably gives him the tip of the hat in most voters minds.

I do not agree that limiting government is his job as a leader. If that was his platform and he did not live up to it then of course it is fine to not vote for him, if that is your desire.

I am not attacking your stances by any means, but does it not seem to you that this guy is just pressing all the hot button topics to pander for votes rather than actually having some sort of plan?

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm going to vote in the Republican primary tomorrow. During the government shutdown and my embarassment of having my own senator lead it, I decided to do my part in keeping the ideologues with whom I disagree (that is, the tea party) out of office.

This used to be my MO, and I'll probably continue to vote against incumbents when I have no other preference to go by. But, for now opposing tea partiers in primary elections will mostly mean voting for establishment Republicans.

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The mindless anti-government/ paralyze government meme has largely run its course. It has not improved things in the last 30 plus years. Rule by corporations and plutocrats which results has made things worse.

11. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

So the obvious solution is to give more power to the corporations and plutocrats

12. Commodore

big business loves big government, it creates barriers to entry and entrenches their power and market share

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

In East Texas for a family funeral. Thought I was watching a comedy station when I saw the first ad then saw a lot more. Conservatives are against Obamacare, the Liberal EPA, and gun control. They are for nothing except for what they are against. Would be funny if it wasn't so pitiful.

1 person likes this.
  14. Commodore

they are for individual liberty

15. glynch

Yeah if we just abolish government than we will be a nation of tens of millions of mom and pop businesses and the graphs of econ 101 will rule.

I know in your universe, your shopping at Wmart and the few shares you own in your IRA make you in control of big business.

You've been had, son. The plutocrats thank you for your support.

16. glynch

The ads for Republicans in the primaries are definitely a real hoot.

1 person likes this.
  17. Commodore

18. Commodore

19. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

He's toast. He'll probably make it to a runoff but runoff electorates are even more conservative than the primary electorate so there's no way in hell he'll win a runoff.

I'd put pretty good money on the senate stripping the lieutenant governor of his/her presiding role over the senate if Dan Patrick wins. Its going to be a figurehead position when that happens.

20. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

#Democracy