1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man sues McDonalds for $1.5 MILLION over a napkin..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by davidio840, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Mr. Brightside

I bet this racist manager is saving all the napkins for himself so he can make some sort of DIY Klan robe.

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

We need sweeping tort reform. If you sue someone for monetary gain and lose, you should be required to pay their legal fees and lost wages.

It would get ride of 99% of frivolous lawsuits overnight.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Media sensationalism that helps Corporations tilt the perspective of the court system. When you lose your family member to negligence of a big company I bet y'all wont to asking for tort reform.

#23 REEKO_HTOWN, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

For every frivolous McDonald's lawsuit there are as many other lawsuits where Giant Corporations refuse to take care of people they hurt or kill.

Tort reform only hurts regular people why helping Companies. Ask Gregg Abbott. He suing and got millions but now want Tort.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

On a motorcycle, a bicycle, or a car? :confused:

;)

6. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Member

What's an acceptable number of napkins to take? 1 is definitely not enough, I don't think I would sue though, lol I just wouldn't go back there.

I think I usually grab 4-5.

7. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Why did he go to the counter for napkins? If he went inside the napkins should be next to drink fountain.

8. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Hahahahahahahaha amazing post, would rep if I could

9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

I don't buy it. Tort reform has done wonders for medical malpractice in Texas... which is one reason the medical industry thrives in Texas. You could also have stipulations in the reform that protect in those cases you mention.

The problem is, there are people that sue HUNDREDS of people every year. They do it simply because they know the vast majority of them won't fight it - they'll pay small claims and go on their way. And/or they know that many of them won't comply with deadlines because of lack of knowledge or funds. Defaulting judgement in their favor. Outlandish lawsuits like the one mentioned are simply a waste of time and money for the government, and the businesses involved.

Far more people exploit the lawsuit system, than really use it.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

What why didn't the managers gave him more napkins

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

YOU PEOPLE are all the same. :eek:

;)

12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

Many McDonald's franchises operate on very thin margins, so they pinch pennies where they can. This includes not giving out things like napkins, ketchup and sauces unless specifically asked for. Many also charge extra for more condiments. Such as 1 free sauce with a 6-piece nugget, 2 with a 10-piece, 4 with a 20-piece, etc. Each additional one is a quarter.

Long story short, people abuse the "take what you want" and waste money by the truckload. This particular location probably gave 1-2 napkins with each meal, which isn't uncommon. While they should have probably just given the dude some napkins, the employee was probably instructed not to, to save money.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

McDonald's is probably a poor choice of a target for a frivolous lawsuit. They have a legal department to quash any complaint that has no merit.

And I don't see this suit as necessarily frivolous on the face of it. It's ultimately about racial discrimination, not napkins. If you have a McDonalds that is systematically providing a lower level of service to blacks to discourage their patronage, it's illegal. One visit by one guy doesn't go anywhere close to proving it, but I maybe he's got a bunch more evidence in his back pocket. The allegation of racism is more serious than the incidentals of napkins. It'll only be frivolous if he's only got that one event to go to war with.

14. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

McDonald's is shielded for the most part, because the location was probably owned by a franchisee... and those guys operate on thin margins, so good luck getting rich off of it.

You have to prove that he meant intent of discrimination when he said "you people" and him being a minority himself would make that a tough sell. They had also already served the guy food, so it sounds to me it was just a dude frustrated with customers. I say "you people" without referring to an ethnic group. Customers as a base are inherently stupid - regardless of skin color.

The "mental anguish" BS is what will get this thrown out of court.

15. conquistador#11

what do you mean you people?

america is going down the crapper. i remember a time when they'd give you free honey mustard, now you have to pay for it. things done change.

16. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

17. davidio840

davidio840 Member

Lol! Blame the napkins!

18. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

Americans demand dollar menu items. If everyone bought full priced items as they did in the past, businesses could be more willing to fork over the extras.

Chik-Fil-A gives you whatever you want... because their combos are $7 bucks by the time it is all said and done. A dude going in and getting two McDoubles and then asking for two tubs of barbecue sauce just took away what little profit they made on the McDoubles.

19. heypartner

heypartner Member

Good thing he wasn't asking for extra napkins, because he spilled hot coffee in his lap. Then McDonald's would be in serious trouble.

20. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wMHsojpGV5o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>