1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After his first game, what did you think of Jordan Hamilton?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JHarden713, Feb 25, 2014.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

His biggest problems at UT were effort and that he was a chucker.

His jumper is smooth, I was surprised to see he's only a 36% career shooter, I think he will be much better with the regular good looks he's gonna get here. He plays much quicker than he looks, and has good length so the potential for great D was always there.

I didn't see any signs of the chucker, and great defensive intensity. Only one game, but if that sticks he will be the steal of the deadline. Hopefully contract year syndrome kicks in.

2. dragician

dragician Member

I'm going to watch this game frm tbe beginning just to see his game. way to go...

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I thought he looked really smooth. I give McHale credit for getting him on the floor so early into his Rockets career. Our bench is looking much better.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Hamilton improved quite a bit during his sophomore year under Barnes - actually quit jacking up shots anytime he touched it. Surprised he was able to play his way into the first round.

5. vator

vator Contributing Member

The very first thing I was impressed about when he walked on the floor was his size. He has legit height, weight, and length for his position at the 2/3 and decent tweener size if they ever decide to use him as a 4 in a small ball lineup.

The statistics coming in indicated that he was an elite rebounder at his position and that was on display as well. He displayed solid rebounding and mixed it up under the basket a few times with the big boys. He put the ball on the floor more than I was antcipating so I'm not yet sure if that is a good or a bad thing. He'll probably need to settle in as a catch and shoot guy and only do that other stuff as a last resort because his catch and shoot numbers are really good compared to most guys on this team which would really help space the floor. His shot was smooth, fluid, and he has a quick release. He seems like he has the ability to really thrive here from all the open looks he is going to get.

Overall, I liked what I saw. He'll have some good games and bad games because that is what role players do and that is why they are only role players, but the ability is obviously there and I think his skills are plug and play ready for this team. He is an upgrade defensively, rebounding, and spot shooting over the other guys on the bench. That block was really nice too. That Morey is a sneaky one. He may have found the 3 and D guy we've been clamoring for all year and only had to give up a 3rd string PG to do it. (In fairness to Brooks, he could be a number 2 on several teams, but he was a 3rd stringer here. Miss you AB!)

#105 vator, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  6. chatterjb

chatterjb Member

I'm really high on Hamilton based on what I saw yesterday. He's a natural wing defender that can move his feet very well for his size...something the Rockets lack coming off the bench. He had an impressive recovery and block last night as well that showed some nice athleticism.

I think when he becomes more comfortable in the rotation, he could be deadly. Another thing to note: Hamilton is a decent shooter all together, but his numbers are far better from the corners. I personally think someone like Morey zeroed in on that stat. We are a fast breaking team...an athletic 3/4 that can hit a high percentage of corner 3s is yet another matchup nightmare for most teams. I would expect Hamilton to gradually end up taking Cassipi's minutes.

Granted all of this is after one game :grin:

7. vator

vator Contributing Member

I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but could he be the new Delfino we've all been missing? You put Delfino from last year on this team and we look sooo much better. Delfino was also an under the radar acquisition and nobody expected much at first, but he kind of developed a cult following by the end of the year with his style of play and the flexibilty he provided. Casspi seemed like he might be that guy at first, but he is really only somewhat decent at one position. Delfino could play the 2, 3, and small ball 4. Casspi can only play the small ball 4 and he is losing his minutes to D. Mo as of late.

8. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

10. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

Nice, thanks. Would rep if I could.

From the highlights it looks like he is just as comfortable driving the ball off the shot fake as he is taking the 3. I'll be interested to see what he does against better defenders but I like it so far.

As for his defense, I really want to see him matched up against crawford tonight.

11. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

No way he replaces Parsons or is even looked on as a replacement. I've probably been the biggest supporter of him since before his draft, but that is a ludicrous statement. However, he still has a high upside even in his 3rd year. His option was declined, so this is his contract year and you would think he would bring it nightly.

He still thinks he is the man (that's a good and bad thing), but he is a great team player, and will excell in his role here, but lets not get ahead of ourselves and think he's the next in line. Just a good role player, which is exactly what we need him to be.

12. haoafu

LOL. I'm not kidding though, if you care to click my link. I'm not saying it's a given...

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think all of that scoring on the drive will happen against a decent defensive team, but if he can hit the three and rebound/defend, Morey indeed found another steal.

The taller Courtney Lee comparison was dead on.

14. Classic

Classic Member

[​IMG]

15. haoafu

Click my link, and you'll know where I come from. It's Morey who's thinking about Hamilton as similar acquisition of Lowry years ago.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

His jumper is so smooth that it is easy to overlook his bad shot selection historically. Hopefully with the Rockets, he will get so many open looks that he won't feel compelled to take the contested looks as often. He could easily shoot over 40% from behind the arc, but he could easily still take the same contested jumpers.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

Great fit for this team:

1) Should give Harden and Parsons a few more minutes on the bench. If he can take just 8 minutes total (4 each), that would help those guys tremendously.

2) He's an average 3 point shooter, but that's a big step up from what we've had.

3) Nose for rebounding the ball.

4) Willing passer, which means he can play with the starters and bench.

5) Should give Lin a more open lane to work with.

Just a gut feeling, but I get the sense that TJones may disappear in the playoffs. His defense is poor and his offensive game is limited....both will be exploited when a team has time to adjust. It's entirely possible that we see more of Hamilton and DMo in the playoffs than TJones.

18. jedicro

jedicro Member

Yup, those are pretty good numbers. I would prefer to see more 7's, maybe some 4's, but overall pretty good.

Number/10

19. basketballholic

I like that description after one game. We'll have to see if his shooting blows hot and cold like Courtney. And we'll have to see if his D stays consistent like Courtney's.

20. gambingo

gambingo Member

Very good 1st impression of the guy albeit against the Kings. Hopefully Mchale throws him out there again tonight against the Clips so we can see how he does against one of the top teams.