1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Transferring really large files (50 GB)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by professorjay, Feb 21, 2014.

1. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Anyone know of a way to send over 50 GB or larger sized files? Someone needs to get them over to me but I'm not sure how. Does anyone know of any service out there to do it?

I figured I might be able to setup my own FTP server. I don't really want to bother but it shouldn't be too difficult right?

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Depending on how large an account you get, you can transfer via a cloud storage like box.net or dropbox.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

At least use SFTP...
    torrent (look up how to secure it)
    seedbox (requires account setup and stuff)

Kludgey way: Buy a 128 GB zip drive and Fed Ex it.

4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Flash drive. You'll be uploading for days unless you have a fast internet connection, and if you do - your ISP may throttle you if you have sustained uploads. This happens automatically to combat file sharers.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Same town? Put it on an external hard drive. DRIVE to the destination. Done. :eek:

Different town? Ask a hosting service how much it would be to charge you for the source to upload it for you and you download it. :cool:

6. professorjay

Hmmm never thought about torrents.

The office I'm dealing with is in Singapore. The files will be sent to me as soon as they become available so it's not just a one time deal. Also I need to finish this project by the end of the month so even if they were sent directly it's not realistic.

7. Toast

Toast Member

There are sites out there like whatever yousendit changed their name to. Hightail is another. Not sure what the file limit is, but essentially, you upload a file and someone downloads it from that site.

8. Svpernaut

https://mega.co.nz/

Data is encrypted and private, and only shared to those you want to have access to it.

The problem again, is going to be upload speeds. On standard connections 50GB is going to take forever to upload, and still quite some time to download.

FedEX overnight is your best friend. Movie studios do this daily when movies are in production, because bandwidth constraints simply make uploading huge amounts of data daily a hassle.

9. Invisible Fan

You can still do the zip drive thing as a one off. Then use a version control system (github, github, github, svn/mercurial/other overkill and inferior garbage) or torrents to patch up the rest. If it was through a company, I'd use VPN, but that's terribly slow as well but it manageable if the changes are less than a 100MB.

Unless it's something dealing with digital media, I'm thinking the (code?) changes are incremental, so what you'd really need to update would take less than 1GB.

At this point though, what you're asking for requires deeper planning with someone who has done this before.

Our proposals are more of a one-off solution rather than one that handles a corporate-like infrastructure of daily/hourly changes.

You don't want to transfer 50GB every day/week, but if you have to you want to make it as fast, reliable, and secure as possible.

10. professorjay

Thanks, I'll see if they want to use it. We've been using WeTransfer which has been fine for < 2 GB files but now...

I agree about the uploading situation, I don't know how their connection or infrastructure is over in Singapore but I'm anticipating it will be a problem.

I'm already pulling teeth over here to get anything done, I'm sure FedEx-ing stuff is out of the question. I'm barely getting any help or info as it is. But thanks for the tips.

1 person likes this.
  11. professorjay

Yes unfortunately this is media related. They sprung this whole thing on me about a week ago. They haven't given this any thought or planning and I'm in the dark about much of this so I've been scrambling on a lot of fronts.

12. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

That's a lot of those "Internet videos"

13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

https://www.hightail.com/

This is what our work uses to transfer large files from consultants to the office.

It does take time to load the file but you can start it and let it run in the background whilst you go about whatever you're doing.

14. professorjay

Well as it turns out they ended up sending the HD over, any day now.

BTW, anyone w/ experience in media/video know why a 1 to 1 1/2 hr video would be ~50 GBs?

15. Invisible Fan

Ultra high res p*rn.

At least you can tell when a birthmark is really carcinoma.

16. Svpernaut

No compression, probably in a raw format. You can covert it down to H.264 and get it down to 2-3GB without much loss.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Split it up with winrar.

18. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."
    - Andrew Tannenbaum

19. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

External hard drives and USB 3.0 are your friend if you do not have blazingly fast upload speeds.

I can transfer a 200 episode TV series that's about 25gb in about 5 minutes using my external USB 3.0 hard drive.

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

professorjay, I don't know how a camera could record 50Gb files, if most of the cameras nowadays will split the files into 3 to 4 Gb pieces you put together with their proprietary software or on your linear editor.

A total of about 9m55s on MPEG2 standard in MXF wrapper with dimensions of 1920 x 1080 at 50mbps with 2ch audio I recorded was about 3.9 Gb, and by comparison, an 18m6s clip is 7.1 Gb, so 1 second is about 7Mb in my format. I believe it sounds fitting that 1 hr is about 50Gb. :eek:
    And then WHAT? You're still transferring the same amount of bytes, albeit now with more files instead of one.