1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo, anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by QazQay, Feb 25, 2014.

1. QazQay

QazQay Member

He seems pretty pissed off at New York right now. I actually think there's a great chance we could sign him if he wants to leave (likely). Does he fit with Harden? Despite his reputation as a no-defense chucker, its hard to argue that he doesn't still significantly impact the game offensively.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The Rockets don't have cap space to sign a max player this offseason.

3. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Simple, to the point.

/end thread

4. Raven

Raven Member

But Morey sure tried, though. :)

But would Morey even want Carmelo if he thinks he has a chance for Love or Durant?

5. Play07

Play07 Member

he wants to take less money to join a contender also. problem is asik + lin are still here. I think morey was trying to move both of them for expiring contracts at the deadline but couldn’t get the deals done.

Asik should be easy to move on draft night, with melo more than likely not stayingin NY I’m sure knicks will try to trade for lin this offseason but that will still effect our cap.

6. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

If you could somehow move Lin and Asik for no salary in return (unlikely), then you still only have about $15MM in cap space. Unless NYK wants Lin and Asik and TJones in a S&T we're SOL.

7. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

asik+lin+parsons for melo?

8. Nook

Nook Member

It is all a hypothetical, it would have to be a sign and trade..... but yes I think that Morey would do a S&T for Carmelo because Love and Durant are long shots.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Such a groundbreaking new & fresh idea. 5 stars. Would read again.

10. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Melo will stay at that NY dumpster fire for the $130M.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

maybe carmelo will take the vets minimum next year and wait for the rockets to have cap space in 2015

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think Hinkie would be willing to take back Lin for our 1st round pick. Then we could likely find a home for Asik. I think decent players on expiring contracts are relatively easy to move if you're wiling to not take anything back.

But, I don't think we should even waste time wondering if we have cap space for him. The real question is whether or not he would play here.

13. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

I wonder if Melo wouldn't Ask for the Knicks to help him with the S&T insuring that at least they get something back and he gets to go to a contender

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Salary Cap be damned!

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

10/10 thread, will read again.

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

In the past I would have answered NO. However Melo this season has upped his steals and rebounds to the point that he actually could be a positive for an NBA team. However, since there are only so many shots to go around, I would still have to say no.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I heard something a few weeks ago that the thinking going into the trade deadline last month that best case scenario for the Knicks was -

A. Resign Melo & build around him next year
    or
    B. Melo walks and they utilize the cap space his contract coming off would provide to kick start their rebuild with Chandler, Bargs, and Amare being large expiring's they could also use to rebuild.

So bringing back Lin, Asik, & Parsons (who they would potentially lose in free agency anyways) is sort of counter intuitive to their plans unless they just want to stay mediocre next year, and can find a 3 way or separate trade for either Tyson Chandler or Asik.

Also the Knicks will have their own 2015 draft pick they cannot trade so it behooves them to pay attention to that pick as a potential to get a rebuilding player.

Point being, the thinking is that they prefer to rebuild if Melo leaves and value the cap space that move would provide over getting S&T assets in return.

18. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I think a few posters got confused when they saw this unusually busy waiver wire bonanza, and now they are just continuing to throw out random ideas for the off-season?

20. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

I would be happy to get Melo, you can tell from watching him in the bench he hates to lose. Hes definitely a competitor and isn't the reason why the Knicks suck so bad. Get him with two other stars that he can TRUST and you would see a different and better Melo.