1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone installed security camera at home?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dragician, Feb 24, 2014.

1. dragician

dragician Member

Someone tried to break in to our garage last night. Luckily I heard the beep when the garage door opened so I was able to turn the alarm siren on, secured the family, took my shotgun and went to the garage. My neighbor said there was a car parked outside the house and drove off when the alarm went off.

Not sure how they opened it but I think I'd have to install security cameras. Any product recommendation is appreciated.

Thanks.

Jontro likes this.
  2. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Depends. What kind if setup are you looking for? How many cameras? Traditional analog or a wireless ip setup?

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I got cameras and a Red Nose Pit.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Just depends on your individual needs....how many cameras do you want and what specs? Wireless or wired? Sound or no sound? And so on...go somewhere like Fry's where they have them set up and you can check out the video quality. Once you know what you want in a system the set up is fairly easy, especially if you just buy a kit.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You get what you pay for. If you purchase one of those $400 systems, you're going to get a less than desired system.

CCTV is very limited and their DVR's suck.

IP is scalable. You can make a low end computer, run Blue Iris NVR software ($50ish), and add full network functions that allow you to easily stream on your local network or remotely. You're not limited to low resolution only. You can add and upgrade cameras as you go.
    Personally I prefer hardwired cameras over wireless. It might be more work up front, but you do not have to deal with the wireless headaches laters.

Jontro likes this.
  6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

So your cameras will capture your dog licking someone to death. :grin:

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

but i am ticklish!

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I have a few installed in my guest bedroom and guest bathroom. Got them from Fry's for around 200 bucks. They are quite nice.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

10. dragician

dragician Member

My friend recommended Lorex or ZModo. I want a HD cam andprobably install 4 cams, 2 in teh front, 1 backyard and corner or inside the garage.

11. Throttle

Throttle Member

ive got security cams setup at my home which also has night vision so can see movements in the dark. i can view all the cams via my mobile's app too...

downside is wireless issues like DNS server problems unless u can get a fixed IP...

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I have four. One facing the street from the driveway, one at the gate, one at the side of the house and another in the backyard. All hardwired, all HD with infrared and all also on my phone to view anywhere as well. I paid for this though, it was not a DIY. I used EOS Technologies inside the loop, and while not cheap it was definitely worth it and Liam is a great guy.

I then called my insurance about this to see if I would get a discount, but you can't with cameras but they gave me a checklist. Have dead bolts on all doors, double clips on all windows, ADT is fixing my alarm today as it only blasts inside when it goes off and they're giving us wireless camera for inside. Once a police officer checks everything, I send this to my insurance and my bill will go down around 42%.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Shhhh, they only know the media narrative ;)

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Has anyone connected their cameras to a monitoring service like ADT or Smith Thompson? :confused:

I'll hang up and listen.

Your wired connection for home is almost always static unless you restart the gateway that reaches your home or your router. You can always get a dynamic IP DNS entry for free at dyndns.com just like I do. All you have to do is renew every 3 months when they send you a notice. It's free. :eek: Did I mention it's free? You can then connect throttle.dyndns.org or a no-hassle account for $25 with your favorite DNS entry: http://dyn.com/remote-access/ .

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Any opinions on Arlo vs. Lorex?

16. Buck Turgidson

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

U mad bro?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

No.

Xerobull and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I'm just genuinely excited about having a house for the first time. And I'm a nerd about all this stuff you can control via apps.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Lorex is good. My advice is check out the apps/support in addition to the hardware. We got a professional installation with LTS cams since were on 5 acres. I don’t have issues with the hardware but the support /app is such ass when compared to some of the other ones. In hindsight should have researched that aspect more.

AroundTheWorld likes this.