1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PMP , Scrum Certifications?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by IBTL, Feb 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone here PMP and or scrum certified?

There are classes and seems like they range in the $900-1500 area and not sure if worth it. I have done self study then certify in other things worked well.

Seems like some of it is being grandfathered in which seems weird. If someone has worked on projects and utilized these methodologies seems like that can be considered through this scrum alliance. All sounds a little shady in some ways.

For example UH has pmp courses much of the learning could be done on own?

Can't I just go try and take the test? Maybe I am missing something here but I have to take a course to take the test?

Anyone?thanks rep fwiw

2. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

If you meet PMI's minimum requirements, you can take the exam and can take it up to 3 times within a year of PMI accepting your application. I have been certified since 2008 and have coordinated training at my job since 2009. This test is not a gimmy. It really depends on your working knowledge of project management...

As for the Scrum Master test, I completed it after taking a LitheSpeed class. Once you take the class, you have up to 90 days to get 2 free attempts. Beyond that it costs like $25 and is 35 questions. Easy test, open book and you have 1 hour to finish it.

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

How hard is it? rep btw and I included my email address. Hope you don't mind emailing me/

Lithe speed looks great. Lithe speed is like 1200 right? The guy on scrum alliance I found does it for $995

unless you know something for less for the scrum ones?

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Groupon has some sort of study bundle for $99 which in reality costs $995. You may want to look into that

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Scrum master certs are useless in practical usage though it looks pretty to HR people who don't have a clue.

Just read some agile books with 4.5-5 stars on Amazon if you really want to know scrum. Some blogs will do.

Though lean and kanban probably lead a happier life for agile shops, suits likes scrum for the PM aspects even if most command and control PMs have no business or skill trying to get into it.

It's a total attitude shift that they should master rather than some productivity/management gimmick to do waterfall faster.

6. Ming Dynasty

Ming Dynasty Member

Got the PMP cert 5-6 years ago. Took a weeklong training class paid by my employer and passed the exam easily, though it probably would have been much harder if I only self-studied, and I am a pretty good test taker when it comes to just short-term memorizing, especially when a lot of the material seems like common sense to me.

The certification was good for 3 years, during which time PMI expects you to pay an annual membership (great if your employer pays for it), but you have to log something like 60 hours to re-certify or take the test again to maintain the PMP. I never did that and let it expire... because it was/is a big pain for me personally to take that extra time away from my family and my day job to just help PMI keep making money.

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I recommend it if you want to run projects. It gives a good baseline to know, and it looks decent on a resume. If you want to self study, use this book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-PMP-Exam-..._5?ie=UTF8&qid=1392964690&sr=8-5&keywords=pmp

I have successfully utilized Agile methodologies on several projects and do not have a scrum cert. I think it is pretty useless other than a resume builder. There are good books on Agile that can teach you well.