1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Rondo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 17, 2014.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Same way Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, KG and Rondo co-existed. All the way to two finals and one championship.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm not sure Rondo fits here... I'm not sure if Morey covets him... what I do know is... y'all are way too high on Chandler Parsons.

The second he's resigned at a competitive rate he's no longer a bargain. Parsons may be the better fit on this team, that's a different story - but if y'all think he's more valuable (after he's making what he's worth) than a healthy Rajon Rondo, you're delusional. And Parsons' payday is coming.

Does Dwight like him? Probably. Does Daryl Morey care? History says no.

#162 Ziggy, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Give up 7 players for only 3. No sir I wouldn't do it. Our chemistry is starting to come around so why tamper with that.

4. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

I'd rather give up Jones over Parsons and definitely not both. I don't like Rondo but he's definitely an upgrade over Lin (duh) given that our top adversaries in the West happen to have the best PGs in the game running their ships (Westbrook, Parker, Paul), Rondo could be the guy to put us over.

That being said, I'd rather us stand pat and see how far this unit will take us and use the summer to upgrade/retool a bit. Even w/o cap room, this year's FA class should provide us ample opportunity to play facilitator and nab an asset or two.

Thanks for the info Cyber!

5. Nook

Nook Member

;) Gotcha....

The Rockets are going to trade a guy shooting 40% at 3's for a guy that usually shoots 30% from 3's.... oh and also shoots 60% from the line and doesn't draw fouls...

Good to know that the Rockets are going to completely redesign their offense... no more 3's or free throws.

6. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

I think trading Asik for a first round pick would help facilitate a Rondo to Houston trade. Calling Pheonix?

7. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

If Chandler leaves, Harden and Howard won't be happy, and he'll return to shoot 15/15 from 3 next time he comes back.

8. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

9. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Thanks once again for the info Cyber...is the reasoning for Chandler being put on the table that Morey doesn't think that he will be able to retain him once he wants money, or that morey would rather spend that money elsewhere?

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

There are a lot of problems with giving up either Parsons or TJones for Rondo.

#1 - Rondo is definitely an upgrade, but not an incredible upgrade to make up for the incredible DOWNGRADE that would come from losing TJones or Parsons. The Rockets have basically no backups at the forwards position. DMo, Casspi... they're ok 10 mpg guys off the bench, but don't blow you away by any means. Anyone who thinks Covington is a Parsons replacement is crazy. If Covington turned out to be the next Parsons.. that'd be great... in THREE YEARS.

Meanwhile, the Rockets are "solid" and deep at PG. No one of Rondo's capabilities, but someone on your roster has to be the 5th best in the 5 starters, and the PG is that position for us.

#2 - Harden and Rondo fit. Not great, as noted. Could DEFINITELY work and work well... but's it's not crazy obvious (like a Kevin Love fit is with this squad would be).

#3 - Injury return. He played really good the past 4 games, but we're still in the who-knows zone.

#4 - At this point, while Rondo when healthy is clearly the better player than either Jones or Parsons, given ALL of the above, if Jones or Parsons is on the table, I'd think DM would want more. So maybe there is more involved.

Seriously, keep in mind Parsons is still young and improving. His PER has gone from 13.3 to 15.3 to 17. He is a perfect fit at the SF. He has great chemistry. He led the Dwight recruit.

Seriously, keep in mind that TJones is averaging nearly 13 ppg, 8 rpg, 1.5 bpg, 53% shooting as a starter in his first season of meaningful play, and won't turn 23 until the middle of next year.

---

I like Rondo, but only if Harden, Dwight, Parsons and TJones are excluded.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Nice. You never see the trade machine spit out a -14 wins from a trade. It is a record!!!

1 person likes this.
  12. EugeneK

EugeneK Member

Throwing away Parsons for Rondo, then who's gonna shot 3 and show some off the ball movement? nobody?

13. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

parsons is the new turkoglu.. but 2x better..

dont trade the new turkoglu

14. dragician

dragician Member

Not happening.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Does Rondo have a 0.300 wining percentage without Garnett and Pierce?

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Screw giving up Parsons. I'm not down for that.

17. tzou88

tzou88 Member

RobCov?

18. brooksstephens

What a terribly short-sighted assessment of Rondo's game.

19. King Drew

King Drew Member

Guys calm down. I tried to get y'all prepared for this. Things are reeeeeaaaalllly warming up. But can still drop out in a heart beat.

2 people like this.
  20. qiantom1999

qiantom1999 Rookie

Looks like an intentional leak for Morey's friend in Boston to drive up the price of Rondo, and I am not sure any GM would buy this.