1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have a problem....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by roxxfan, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Hmm

Hmm Member

[​IMG]

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I'm sorry to report, but my 5 year old nephew Gustaav can sleep better than you.

3. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Honestly get help, that should be the first thing. Sure take on some advice in here but plenty of people suffer from similar symptoms as yourself and I'm sure there are ways to help and hopefully fix it. You should never be too ashamed to seek help about anything if it's effecting your day to day life, as scary as it sometimes seems the docs have normally seen it before and probably worse!

I've had several sleep related problems in my years and the worst thing I did was not go and get it sorted. I had a problem with fixating on things when trying to get to sleep, if it was a noise outside I assumed it was someone trying to break in, stuff at work anything.... and then the frustration of not getting to sleep would come. Go and see professional and take their advice and prescriptions. There's also been plenty of stuff mentioned in here too that does help. I always make sure I'm tired with exercise, often leave the radio on so nothing else will distract me, even rubbing one out can help! It's likely there will still be times though medication will help.... so get your ass in there!

4. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Roxxfan, you okay?

You haven't post here for a while.

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I had the same problem as you. Its honestly the problem i became addicted to internet p*rn.

6. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I think you should go see a doctor about getting your balls reattached. Seriously. It's time to just nut up and stop being a fagina.

7. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Hey thanks for the suggestions everyone. And I'm sorry I'm not at your level of man, Master Baiter. A few things. Yeah I'm alright. I need to clarify I've done everything. Lights on. Lights off. Music. No music. Blanket on face. Blanket off face. I've never attempted alcohol as a remedy, and probably never will. There is a history of alcoholism in my family, at least on my dad's side.

In regards to the meditation/breathing control recommendations, I have never attempted this or looked into it, but it sounds interesting and I am going to give it a shot. When I was in high school I always lacked sleep, not because of this current problem but because I was always busy being a nerd and studying so damn much. I am taking a night class at the moment.

Ironically, there was a period of time where I slept too much as well. Generally I am either at one extreme or another in regards to sleeping. Recently I have been lacking at night.

Thankfully, last night I was able to sleep soundly because there was someone at the house and because I guess my body needed it. During that 48 period prior, I slept like three or four hours. So I slept for like damn near 12 hours. It was heavenly. I needed that.

Lastly, I am going to try all of the suggested remedies and over the counter methods as possible before seeing the professional. I am not attempting to avoid seeing a doctor, I just want to try all my other options first. If all else fails then I will see the doc and go that route and see what he says. There is a history of some forms of mental illness in the family such as depression/anxiety etc., and even some suicide. So I kinda know what to look out for. Thanks for everything guys. I would never put myself in a situation that I know would set me up for disaster.

BTW, I do have a gym membership that I need to start using. I'm going to start getting in there more to wear myself out. Prolly gonna start hooping on the regular again. Also going to try to change my diet. More warm soups/ broths or some gumbo before bed. Hell even warm milk.

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

White Noise does it for me, without it - I can't sleep. I need a fan, and not just any fan. A giant box fan that buzzes all night. When I'm on the road, I use an app on my tablet for white noise. Fans or rain are all I can fall asleep to.

9. dragician

dragician Member

Seriously, jack it off!!

10. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Best advice here are (in order of importance):

1. Improve your diet.
    2. Try exercising to wear yourself out completely.
    3. See a doctor if the above two do not work.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Your biggest issue is you sleep with your mom. You have no security blanket and it makes you afraid. Most parents get their children to sleep alone in the dark by placing a toy or stuffed animal as transference. My son is 2 and he sleeps 11 hours nightly in a dark room by himself.

You need a teddy bear.

12. dragician

dragician Member

it's mental dude.

13. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

It's not traumatic nor is it genetic. Getting healthy physically more often than not improves your state mentally.

14. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

you ignored the weed recommendation.. do yourself a favor lol

15. Toast

Toast Member

Have you tried listening to a book on tape? Or book on your iPod?

People say it's soothing and comforting to have someone speaking to you/talking to you while you try to go to sleep. May help better than trying music or whatever.

16. roxxfan

F*** this to hell. I'm going to the doctor in the morning. I've tried breathing and meditation. I've listened to podcasts, participated in breathing exercises, watched and listened to Youtube meditation, zen, all that stuff. Yesterday I finally fell asleep at 8 am, only to be awakened suddenly at noon by a nasty nightmare. Haven't slept since. My next steps are heavy gym work and probably going to the prescription sleeping medication route. Warm milk and some soup for me right now.

Tbh.....when I finally get close to sleeping with the light on.....sometimes the light appears to randomly get brighter to the point where it hurts my eyes and awakens me. Additionally, if the television is on, sometimes it seems like the volume continues to randomly get louder and louder, and thus, awakens me as well. This is all some anxiety.

I know I do not suffer from night terrors, because sufferers usually wake up crying, screaming, or sweating. I just get splendid, ridiculously, vivid and powerful nightmares, that do cause me to wake up with a great fear that can bother me for hours even after waking up. Recently these nightmares tie-in with my surroundings, meaning, when I wake up it is very similar to the dream, at least the surroundings. This is probably because the sleep I do achieve is very weak and I am kinda "barely" asleep. For example, if I am having a nightmare and my dog is barking in that dream, when I wake up my dog is actually barking in reality. It's trippy

This anxiety really corresponds to this house and places that I have experienced stressors in. Because when I sleep at my uncle's or cousin's house, even alone, usually I am fine, or at least the experience is relieved considerably.

17. roxxfan

I haven't ruled it out....I'll tell you that much

18. roxxfan

Like I said, I am aware of the fine line regarding health and well-being. It's just anxiety and uneasiness. 2 members of my family have succumbed to suicide, at least two others have attempted, and several people have spoken of it. It's alot more common than what people think. So yeah, I am in control of my life otherwise, it's just the darn sleep. But life goes on. Gotta figure it out.

19. roxxfan

Serious?

20. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Good that you've decided to see the doctor. It's even better that you haven't exhausted all the sleep aids before deciding to go see someone.

The breathing and meditation stuff are a long term sleep aid. For tonight, try it again. Just think of two syllables and keep repeating them in your mind over and over again. You like playing bass right? Think about that while repeating the syllables and that should tire your mind.

Otherwise, look up something called the 'Confusion Induction' where someone basically says nonsensical phrases to you until the mind gets tired of trying to decipher them and prefers to go into sleep mode.

#60 srrm, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014