1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A. Smith: "Heard some news about some potential deal involving Jeremy Lin"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Voice of Aus, Feb 14, 2014.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

Stephen A. Smith has valid inside sources with the Knicks. I have no doubt this is true, especially considering it is documented that Morey wanted to trade Lin after we got Howard.

2. noone

noone Rookie

Reporters like to play gotcha and push crap as far as possible. This is most likely crap.

3. Play07

Play07 Member

I get what your saying but morey would rather keep parsons on his CHEAP 2014-2015 team option contract. If you trade for MELO now we lose picks + fillers & "parsons or jones" and have to pay melo TOO MUCH his last year of his contract 2014-2015 if he stays or you lose all those assets if he walks.

If you wait this summer morey can get him cheaper as a free agent. He's already said he wants to test free agency this summer so that's the best time to get him. Have harden, Howard, parsons, morey, dream, Clyde, yao, les etc make the trip to NY and talk to him just like we did with Howard this summer.

MELO CONTRACT
    2013-2014 $21,388,953
    2014-2015 $23,333,404 (PLAYER OPTION)

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Why trade for Melo? He's not a great defender or passer.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

SAS does have sources, but he is one of these guys who tend to leak information on any deal that is being preliminarily discussed rather wait until there is something something more solid. I think Woj, Stein, Amick and Berger are guys who tend to have more of a filter on what they share and the "rumors" they report tend to have more legs instead of just one among thousands of trade ideas that GMs text to each other.

Also, I get the sense that SAS and others (including those former Hoopsworld guys) tend to be used by their sources-- teams and agents-- to leak info and spread rumor that serve the source's own purpose. It's kind of a mutual back scratching arrangement. With guys like Dwight and Melo, their agents would tell SAS about how bad things are and how their teams better trade them, but the have the player deny it publicly and say "I love the team and city, just focused on winning with the Knicks/Lakers/Nuggets/Magic."

6. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

By this logic, anyone who watches TV is bisexual. Not saying I disagree... I just wanted to translate to help you get your point across.

7. noone

noone Rookie

Stop playing gotcha.

Look at the programming on tv justified, fox news, nancy grace, hln. TV caters to angry people that sit at home and watch people that play gotcha and push crap as far as they can. People with a conscious don't watch much of it.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

The internet is serious business.

Stay angry, lol

1 person likes this.
  9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

someone rep king1 for me pls

1 person likes this.
  10. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Only if you then get someone to rep me back :)

1 person likes this.
  11. colts_1994

colts_1994 Member

There have been numerous roofers floating around about a trade with the Knicks. they dont have much to give in the way of assets but something like this would be cool

Trade lin and asik
    get Shumpert Chandler and Hardaway Jr

Beverley/brooks
    harden/Hardaway
    Parsons/Shumpert
    Jones/motiejunas
    Howard/chadler

12. Apache

Apache Member

hahaha Hilarious ..!

13. Penetrate&Creat

Lmao agree with King1. SMH'd reading that post.

14. Apache

Apache Member

Lin is a scrub , trade Lin for Hardaway jr.

15. zdrav

zdrav Member

Harden, Howard, and Melo? Who's the third option in this trio?

16. jayland

jayland Member

Not happening. For one the salary have to match and Hardaway is an awesome bargain with his contract.

I can see a Lin + Asik for Shumpert + Amare deal happening though.

17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I don't want to do the math on how ridiculous your number is. Just suffice it to say that Smith wasn't under contract and Felton wouldn't have been signed. Even if they signed Novak if they don't make the trade for Bargnani they save another 4.5 mil.

Do the math. That's Smith 6 mil + Felton 4.3 mil + bargnani additional salary 4.5 mil. If my numbers are right that comes out to just under 15 mil. There's the 50 mil you are talking about.

If they were really worried about the money you think they would have signed chronic knee plagued JR smith who just went under the knife to a 3 year 18 mil deal (and reportedly J.R. had it switched to 3 from 4 so he could come a free agent on his last big contract). Everyone in the NBA knew that was a ridiculous deal except the Knicks.

For all the money you claimed that they saved they threw all back and then some right there. And Lin's salary is just a 1 year hit as opposed to the multi-millions wasted on these new salaries with multiple years and don't include other players like money wasted Jason Kidd.

Yeah sure even the Knicks have limits to how much they will spend but they haven't shown their limit yet. I suspect they want to reset their clock on luxury tax hell when Bargnani, Stoudemire and Chandler come off the books. But even that is uncertain.

You can argue that it's about money but if you do the math it's easy to see there was more going on there. Melo got his boy Smith the money that at a minimum is going to cost the Knicks 25 million next year with future years of pain moving forward but left Lin out to dry. How many Jersey's is he selling ? That tells you all you need to know.

18. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Dwight and Harden may be here, but Lin is probably a bigger reason why SAS keeps tabs on this team. Everyone who said his beloved NY Knicks were making a huge mistake by signing Felton were 100% correct. SAS doesn't like Lin, but he's also flip flopped on his opinion before (much like people here do). Lin's popularity and X factor game will do that.

19. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Probably Dwight, but Harden could take on a LeBron-like facilitator role and mainly try to get Melo and Dwight involved.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

LMAO.