1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Don't rule out a trade despite Rockets' recent run

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Asik for Wilson Chandler and Mosgov

1 person likes this.
  2. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

You're right, I shouldn't have included Tucker. I tried to not leave anybody of the list, but Tucker indeed does seem unlikely to be dealt.

Agreed.

Yup. Which is why it probably will tough to bring in anybody of consequence that would happen to be the type of player the Rockets appear to be looking for.

I was just about to bring this up myself, although I would think the Nuggets would ask for a tad more.
    Still, this is one of the very few feasible two-team trade scenarios that where the Rockets would acquire a versatile 3&D guy, while replacing Asik with someone cheaper who would be more than capable of protecting the rim for 10-16 minutes/game.

Asik and D-Mo for Chandler, Mosgov & DEN 2014 2nd? Arturas and D-Mo reunite!

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The Denver trade seems the most plausible. Is Mosgov injured or not playing? I rarily see that guy in the Denver highlight reels.. Asik is so out of shape and Mosgov would be a guy that would replace both Asik and Montejunas roles... Let's just hope Smith can make it back or if not why not package Smith and Asik together and keep D-mo? Sounds good to me.

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

this trade deadline is going to annoy me, as a team like OKC can straight away outbid us with the dallas pick

5. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

trade ronnie for corey...

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am sure that bigger $ deals involving one or both of Asik and Lin will be discussed. It's just that doing these will require a teams to really make a commitment to changing their direction and offer something significant in terms of either the present or the future-- not to mention paying a balloon salary for one or both of these guys.

Which NBA team has what Houston wants and is bold enough to make a big trade? For example, I think Houston can really use Kyle Lowry and it might make sense for them to trade the upcoming unrestricted FA, but can they actually tell their fans to wait for the future when their team is about to make the playoffs and even have the third seed for the first time in forever? Will Boston actually pull the trigger on Rondo instead of keeping him as a big part of hopefully a new contending team? A lot of teams are kind of afraid to make a big change. Bill Simmons made fun of the inactivity of a deadline a few years ago and said that the NBA stands for "No Balls Association" because teams who really should make a significant deal do not have the balls to make one. We still have this kind of deadlines at times.

7. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Cortney Lee is the best defensive catch n' shoot wing who was available. should have just made the Asik for Lee+Bass+1st pick trade. i think with Lee's production, he can be easily traded for an expiring contract next season (the Celtics just did).

i'd still trade with Celtics for Bradley+Bass or Bradley+Humphries (DMo will be throw-in to match salaries)

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They will laugh at us.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

2015 really is tantalizing because Love isn't the only big fish. Aldridge and Rondo are also part of that FA. There's a good chance the Rockets land a big fish even if Love goes to LA. And even that's questionable unless the Lakers draft a star in this draft.

It's hard to move the needle right now. Which trade would vault us in the OKC/Miami range in terms of championship odds? I can't really think of any that doesn't involve a star coming to the Rocket.

10. Carl Herrera

Lee has 2 more years after this on his contract. He is a helpful player but Morey isn't giving up cap flexibility for Courtney Lee. This is particularly true considering that there are plenty of other options out there who may or may not be as good as Lee but at least provide something similar.

Lee is also a bit on the small side. If we are getting a perimeter defender, I am thinking that Morey would prefer someone who can more naturally guard a SF.

My sense is that if Morey is looking for a cheap competent body to provide energy/defense/shooting and give Parsons and Harden a break, he can get it done with relative ease. The team has plenty of small assets to make this kind of deal and the league's rebuilding teams are full of fairly useful role playing types.

I would think the Lakers, for example, would trade Wes Johnson, Xavier Henry or Jodie Meeks for a 2nd round pick and a filler contract. Also, a number of veterans on the last year of their deals might be bought out after the deadline and the Rockets have the room exception to chase them with.

#70 Carl Herrera, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  11. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Somebody got kind of hot...

1 person likes this.
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You! Freeze! What do you mean? Any rumors?

13. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I question how long OKC and Miami will keep their teams intact. Wade can't seem to stay healthy and will LBJ stay with a broken down Wade? I also question OKC's ownership. Will they be willing to spend money to go over the luxury tax? I can't see that happening. Even if they amnestied Perkins, they don't have enough room in order to make a big splash to really improve their team. If I were OKC, I would look to flip Ibaka to help upgrade their team. I like Ibaka but he isn't one of the elite players at his position.

14. Carl Herrera

Trade with Miami Heat? Phoenix Suns?

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

2 years at least? OKC has no chance of collapsing until 2016 when Durant/Westbrook becomes FAs. Which takes us to the 2015 FA.

The problem is that the NBA has a best of 7 series and each game has less variance than most other team sports. If the NBA had an NFL format, I'd be much more in favor of giving a shot each season. But as it stands the odds of the Rockets actually winning it all is fairly low.

So long term odds I agree with Morey. Short term fanhood I hate it. Because we are likely a 2nd round or at best WCF type team right now. Assuming every team's healthy.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Teams are willing to take on Lin's contract now?

17. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

How about CJ Miles??

18. Convictedstupid

Need moooreee

19. Carl Herrera

Maybe he is referring to:

[​IMG]

20. rogower

rogower Member

3s-and-D players who have reasonable contracts and are likely available:

DeMarre Carroll
    Al-Farouq Aminu
    Martell Webster
    C.J. Miles
    Jordan Hamilton
    Marvin Williams (more of a stretch four, maybe)

Miles, Hamilton, and Williams can all be fairly easily had, I'm thinking (e.g., a second round pick +filler). Hamilton probably makes the most sense.

As Washington is looking like a playoff team for the first time in forever--homecourt advantage in the first round is even a distinct possibility--then it's time to stop pitching Trevor Ariza-to-Houston trades. Not going to happen, Ariza is playing too well this season. I confess to making Ariza proposals very recently. Please forgive me!

I still think Omer Asik winds up in Phoenix, that Asik and Donatas Motiejunas get shipped out, and Spencer Hawes and either this year's buy low lottery bust (Bismack Biyombo?) or a 3s-and-D guy (Miles or Hamilton, IMO) wind up in Houston. Maybe a Biyombo AND a Miles/Hamilton, even.