1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Don't rule out a trade despite Rockets' recent run

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 14, 2014.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Maybe they can bring Kostas Papanikolaou over as backup wing. I can't think of any other they can trade for without sending out valuable assets.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would like a wing defender with a good outside shot, instead of a stretch 4 too.

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I wonder what move you think is going to make us contend next year.

4. olajuw0n

olajuw0n New Member

Asik simply has to go.

After seeing these couple games after his return, Asik gave me a feeling that this team is better off without him. Of course the dilemma climaxes with Parsons looking for a contract, and the only viable thing for Morey to do is to at least get rid of Asik or Lin. I still think Lin is invaluable to this team. He really is playing an important role on this team giving insurance to both 1 & 2 spots. His only inefficiency comes from playing alongside Harden simply because of the similarities between their game styles. I can't think of a trade that's going an upgrade to this team by giving up Lin. I still remember when Lin and Harden scored 75 pts combined against OKC last season. That's what it takes to beat the best.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Good points. I was hoping that Covington would have been able to become a part of the rotation for 10-15 minutes by now. I suspect that D-Mo plus a 2nd rounder or Covington will be offered for a good wing player who can backup Harden and Parsons.
    I think Jones will be retained with Casspi acting as the "stretch" 4. Jones and Asik might be offered in a package for Millsap.

I would like to retain Jones and D-Mo too, despite their inexperience and shortcomings.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If I knew I'd have Daryl Morey's job.

It just feels like he's confirming what most have speculated: make moves that help the team now but not at the sake of taking on money that extends past 2015 (Kevin Love).

Hopefully Dwight will still be going strong then.

Six days, tick tock.

7. TTNN

TTNN Member

Any implication of this gives any hint whether Rockets will pick up Parsons option this summer? Wouldn't that impact the team flexibility after next season if Parsons got resigned this summer?

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure Morey read CF and came up with the idea that a 3-and-D wing is what we really need. ;)

tbh, I really hope that if we get a solid wing backup, AND one of the current players (Parsons, Lin, Jones, or Motiejunas) develops into that proverbial 3rd star, or borderline star, so we can just stop thinking about any major moves and concentrate on going to war with this group.

9. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

10. jacoby

jacoby Member

Parsons and Love hit the Free Agency market together.

Someone just confirm my suspicions: We can't sign Love first, and then resign Chandler because we have his bird rights, correct? I think we would have to denounce his rights.

11. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Morey's approach in trading Asik was miscalculated. First off, he should've been traded this offseason. Secondly, when Asik requested a trade a few months back, why would you set a personal deadline publicly? Then why would ask for so much in return for a defensive center? 2 first rounders for Asik is a slap in the face if I'm another GM

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i agree with your 1st point, but not your others. Morey was trying to create a market and leveraging the best offer he could get. in order to do that, he needed to set a deadline to get teams to get serious and put their cards on the table. As far as asking for a lot in return, its hard to say considering we don't know what has been offered, but i'm sure he was weighing what was being offered against the value of keep Asik and how much he actually increases our chance to win this year.

There was a poster who said that he thought owners were sending a message about the poison pill strategy ...and i think that's right.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

McHale said something similar recently... he covets a dynamic wing defender. There is absolutely something to it.

14. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Parsons bird rights are tiny, I can't remember off the top of my head but it's deffently under 2 million. The problem with signing love if their had to be one would be that we either have contratcs which exceed 2015 or morey really wants to sign Asik/lin back using bird rights.

Chandler isn't really an issue if he becomes an UFA

15. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Who is out there that fits this mold?

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

That's the thing. I don't think there is an alternative to Love, unless it's someone else of his caliber. Lesser moves= not a contender.

17. Play07

Play07 Member

im all for the millsapp trade but wouldve liked it to happen earlier that way we couldve had time to get a guy like bynum to backup dwight. If asik is traded alone we should get back 2 rotation players in return, if not we might as well keep him because we would still have a hole at backup center.

If we just trade dmo + filler for 3&d guy we still have a hole at backup PF. Casspi cant play backup against spurs, grizzlies, okc, clippers they are too big and would just counter when we go small to their advantage.

this makes me feel like if asik gets traded we may see jones or dmo with him. To get a backup center + solid PF.

18. Play07

Play07 Member

a bench with the players you see in my sig. can beat clippers or okc in a 7 game series. BASS, LEE, BYNUM all have deep playoff its takes heart in the playoffs , toughness, hustle, boxing out, picks, defense they’ve been there before . Only guy that wouldn’t have had the experience is lin. That’s why I hate that lee had that contract I could’ve saw us coming out the west this year

19. Play07

Play07 Member

it can still happen but if asik stays we still have to question is backup PF dmo or jones ready for PLAYOFFS ? who is your swigman coming off bench is garcia enough ? so you have 2 holes to fill. Thats why we are afraid of okc and clippers

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The backup wing defender is essential since Casspi and Garcia are trash.