1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2013-14] Western Conference Standings Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

I was at the Clippers game in Houston back in November.

If our perimeter defense is better now than at that time, we'd have a chance. That's where it all fell apart:

1) Horrific perimeter D

2) Twin Towers experiment was still running its course

3) Chris Paul obviously didn't touch the room service food he'd ordered (I had poisoned it in the hotel kitchen; not to hurt him, mind you, just something to give him The Hershey Squirts so that he couldn't play)

2. WinkFan

WinkFan Member

You are correct. We cannot jinx it. Since no such thing exists.

3. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Bottom line: just keep winning.

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Member

They will not say anything. Probably many of them do not know the tiebreakers, and will not even realize that we are the 3rd seed. It will not come up until we are at least a game ahead of Portland and the Clippers.

5. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

We need to think in terms of winning the division and catch San Antonio they have players that are hurt and taking nights off. We are 2 games back and won the season series. Of course we match with certain teams better than others, but with winning the division we'll likely play Golden State or Phoenix. They'll present challenges, but I like our chances against both teams more than I do against Memphis

6. jtr

jtr Member

With Asik back I like our chances just fine versus MEM and IND.

7. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Member

Huge difference between being a 3rd seed and the 5th seed - matching up with the Suns and the Spurs on the one hand and the Clippers then the Thunder on the other... The difference could mean conference finals vs. first round exit for us.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Spurs killed us pretty bad last season too but this season they look like a team you want to get seeded against.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

I'd love to play SA in round number two.

I think they end up the 5th seed this year and will take out Portland.

OKC
    LAC
    Hou
    Por
    SAS
    PHX
    Mem
    Dal

10. vladyx92

vladyx92 Member

No GSW in the playoffs? As much as I dislike them, I would say they are a lock for a 5-8 seed. Not sure Memphis can catch up...

11. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if this sounds bad or not but I wouldn't be happy with that. I've always had the mindset that it's either championship or bust.

Since this is a first year with Howard, I feel like this team should at the very least make it to the Western Conference finals. I know the Thunder and the Clippers are a tough match up for the Rockets.

12. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

Unless we're 2 and 3, I don't see us and SA meeting this year in the playoffs. It's possible we could be 4 and 5 and get a first round matchup, but then we'd get OKC in the second round.

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

It is really tough to predict favorable or unfavorable match ups until we find who is going to be on the final roster after the trading deadline.

If nothing changes, I like our chances against everybody except the Thunder, for the simple reason that we don't have anybody that can slow down Durant.

14. Stats

Stats Member

If our 3's just hit last season's average...WCF!

15. Hilarious

Hilarious Member

Actually, I don't really think there is someone able to guard him..the best strategy seems to frustrate him with hard fouls or pushing. Problem is if you don't dose that right (too less will make him even better, too much will get you out of the game) your result may be even worse...wait that's why we still have Garcia!! :eek: *insert Garcia death stare emoticon*

16. Dogtag

Dogtag Member

Lebron, PG?

17. solid

solid Member

Rockets are in launch position. Likely won't catch the Thunder, but can, yes can pass everyone else. Up to them. Need to be in second or third seed for a significant playoff run. It is all a matter of how bad they want it. They have talent, BUT desire, dedication, and discipline are "iffy." It is laid out for them, I see the path. Wonder if they do.

Things that must happen:

1. Harden has to totally sell out for the ring; i.e., stop playing hungover after being up all night at strip clubs. He regularly looks seriously hung over.
    2. Lin has to stay out of the fog, exchange for laser focus. When he goes into the fog he makes stupid passes and misses easy shots.
    3. Parsons has to regain his defensive edge and start working on his mid range game.
    4. Howard needs to just keep doing what he is doing; demand the ball, work in for the high percentage shot, play better interior defense.
    5. Bev needs to stay revved on defense and work on his shooting, drive more.
    6. Jones has to keep developing, hit the boards harder, keep moving.
    7. DMo needs to work, work, work.
    8. The bench has to score MORE.
    9. Asik has to start playing like he means it.
    10. McHale has to do a better job of motivating this team; the other coaches can do the rest.

#57 solid, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  18. The Jabberwock

If Clips take Blazers tonight - we're 3rd seed for now in WC!

I can't believe I'm crossing my fingers for a LAC win!? :confused:

If it LAC wins POR - we're tied with Portland for a W-L record of 36-17.

Since none of us is division leader - the tie breaker is Head-to-Head (we got them 2-1).

That would make the order:

1. OKC 》42 -12
    2. SAS 》32-15
    3. HOU 》36-17
    4. LAC 》37-18
    5. POR 》36-17

19. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I actually want the Clippers to win. A 2-game advantage over them would be huge.

20. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Hopefully we continue this run of wins leading into the Clippers game. Need to keep the season series alive. Lakers then important games against the Warriors and Suns followed by the Kings.