1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets now 30-3 after going into the 4th quarter with a lead

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I watched the game on NBATV and they had the Timberwolves broadcast. Wolves color commentator (and former Rockets big man-- the third tower in the Twin Tower era) Jim Petersen said at the start of the 4th quarter that the it would be hard for the Wolves to come back both because they haven't made many 4th quarter comebacks and also the Rockets were 29-3 before tonight when starting the 4th with a lead.

I heard some folks complain about the Rockets choking away leads at the end. But apparently they haven't done so badly. I don't know what other teams do, but 30-3 seems like a decent record in holding onto 4th quarter leads.

BTW-- Jim Petersen is really good, especially at explaining big man footwork involved in Dwight Howard post-ups. Also not a biased bitter homer like some local commentators can be. Very even handed and complimentary of Rockets players when they make good plays.

2. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

30-3? Not bad (Obama face)

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

So you're saying McHale cost us 3 games this year? FIRE MCHALE!

1 person likes this.
  4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Great stat, keep it up.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What gets me excited is that we've won over 2/3 of our games and we haven't even played our best ball yet. I think Asik will either buy in for the rest of the season or get traded, and Harden will start playing D in the playoffs.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I doubt the Rockets have been entering the 4th quarter with 15+ point leads for all these games, so this means the team has been able to execute well down the stretch. A combination of good coaching and clutch plays.

7. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

I think two of those losses were to OKC.

8. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Yea, i was surprised to see the 30-3 record. Keep in mind many of those games where we lose a big lead we still end up winning. Even this game we were up by 15 and i believe they cut it to 3 or 4

9. TheBrownDude

TheBrownDude Member

Other one might be that Dallas game too I think.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

According to NBA.com, in clutch situations(5 minutes left +/- 5 pts) The Rockets are 15-10(8th in the NBA) while sporting a +1.2 net efficiency. So their close game numbers more or less reflect their actual record, which is currently 7th.

Now last year, I can definitely agree with people who say we keep blowing it at the end. We were definitely very bad in close games last season. This year, we're quite good/lucky depending on how you view close games.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the 3 games the Rockets have lost are:

Philly game (game ended in OT but the rockets were outscored by 10 in the 4th)
    Dallas game (Rockets lost by 3 after entering 4th with 14 point lead)
    Kings game (Rockets lost by 4 - lead by 6 going into the 4th)

Of the 3 games the Kings game was at home - the other two on the road.

Another thing of note though:

Rockets are 0-3 when entering the 4th tied

the 3 losses:

At Portland (7 point loss)
    Vs Grizzlies (1 pt loss)
    Vs Thunder (12 point loss)

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

If you watch a lot of NBA basketball, this happens all the time to all teams against all opponents.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

But but Hack-a-Dwight is holding Rockets back....
    /sarcasm

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Can anyone say what each team's record is when going into the 4th quarter with a lead?

I would assume it is overwhelmingly positive for each team.

15. ths balla

ths balla Member

and tied games included....30-6 with a lead or tied entering 4th is not bad at all, good example of where perception isnt reality, I assume

16. BonziWellsGOAT

I for one (for many) had to stream it but had the wolves broadcast and dare I say they are the best away broadcast I have heard all year. Great analysis and no annoying homerism that I noticed. An objective and overall pleasant game experience.

Note: Homerism is always a part of local broadcasts because they are paid by that team but it's important not to be overly one sided.On a related note the Pelicans broadcast is maybe the worst ive heard all year. Completely biased and all they seemed to do was talk s*** on the Rockets all game ( Ive seen two games with their broadcast both times the same). I put David Wesley up there with Sean Elliott as worst, most annoying, most homer/biased color commentators working.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Peterson also said the Wolves were 1-22 in games in which they got behind by 10 points or more at any point...

1-23 now I Guess.

DD

18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

They do choke away big leads but they either still lead by a small margin or they regain it which is awesome it's just hard to watch sometimes. Could be a lot worse though, we could be Sixers fans, lol.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How would you rate the Rockets broadcast team from an opposing fan's perspective?

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just a few examples...
    http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/standings if you click the team and show by quarter, will give you a breakdown. Doesn't appear to be a way to show all teams side by side.

Miami: 27-2
    Indiana: 35-2

OKC: 33-4
    Spurs: 28-1
    Clippers: 35-3
    Blazers: 26-3

Overall, that's 184-15. That's 1 loss for every 12 wins or so when going into the 4th with a lead. 30-3 is just slightly below average, but pretty much right in line with other top tier teams (if you take out the Spurs, it's right at the average).

By comparison --
    Philly: 9-2
    Orlando: 12-6
    Cleveland: 13-4
    Utah: 14-2
    Lakers: 12-2
    Sacramento: 13-6
    Milwaukee: 6-4

That's a 79-26 record for the bottom feeders when they lead after 3 quarters. That's one loss for every 3 wins or so.

There's definitely a contrast, which is simply saying bad teams find a way to screw it up (or they regress to their mean in the final quarter, and shouldn't have been winning in the first place). The Rockets record after 3 quarters is pretty much right in line with a top tier team -- not much better, or worse.

As an aside, the inverse is also interesting. OKC is incredible -- they're 8-8 when they trail or are tied after 3 quarters (amazingly, they're 6-0 at home when TRAILING after 3 quarters). Miami is 8-12. The Spurs are 9-14. Meanwhile, the Clippers are 1-13 in the same situation. The Rockets are somewhere in between at 5-14.

#20 NIKEstrad, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    3 people like this.