1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Sam says he is gay; could become first openly gay NFL player

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 9, 2014.

1. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

"good game"

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Seems fishy. "Michael Sam" sounds like a fake name.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Do you have any idea how badly I want to type a variation of:

False Flag?

But no. I'm not going to variate that.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Just as an alternative . . . .
    If a hetero man was in the shower with a group of women . . . .
    is the understanding that he would not be able to control himself?

Just curious . . .

Rocket River
    Next Up Unisex locker rooms!

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think players should be entitled to shower separately. I don't really understand why athletes shower together in open showers.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I love how the talk radio hosts are saying he shouldn't have said anything because no one cares.

Yeah, everyone in the world is talking about this. Clearly no one cares. :rolleyes:

7. Major

Major Member

You do understand that if he just chose not to tell anyone he's gay - as do many athletes, presumably - he would still be in that same shower, right? If your concern is showering with gay men, then the problem is not that he's openly gay, but that he's gay in the first place. If anything, being open about it lets you avoid the situation you're trying to avoid.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been in unisex locker rooms, it had shower stalls, but doesn't mean you dont' see anything. You conduct yourself with decorum and restraint and it probably improved behavior in the locker room.

I personally don't think it is a big deal but to answer this strawman that gets trotted out. The incidents of sexual violence perpetrated by men on women far exceeds that of men on men so statistically women have a reason to fear for their safeties around men. Anyway given that homosexuals make up probably about 10% of the populations it's not like a bunch of gays are going to overpower and start raping football players.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Open showers probably started as a cost saving measure in institutional settings and has just stuck. Although this might be changing as in the brand new Rec Center built at the University of Minnesota they don't have open showers but separate stalls.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm sure that is the reasoning.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Out of sight, out of mind, I suppose.

I don't begrudge any player for saying they wouldn't feel comfortable in an NFL lockerroom with a gay teammate, or hell, even with a female reporter (I don't think any reporters should be allowed in the lockerroom, FWIW). It's a place where you're often naked, pretty vulnerable, etc. It's not about "omg they r gunna rape meee lolol", it's just about knowing that there's not a possibility of someone judging you sexually in that environment.

Of course you make a fantastic point that odds are there is already probably at least one gay person in each NFL lockerroom (or on staff that goes in the lockerroom). So, you should probably act accordingly even if you don't know who that person is. Just give people total privacy in the lockerroom (as it should be IMO) and this probably becomes a non-issue.

12. Major

Major Member

Agree with all of this. I've always found the concept of non-privacy in a lockerroom weird in the first place.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Bet the Skins draft him, a way to deflect criticism away from their name.

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

You forgot one of the most important thing an SEC DPOY who was projected to be drafted in the 3rd or 4th may suddenly find himself, outside of the draft.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Michael Sam's father, who describes himself as &quot;old-school,&quot; says he is struggling with news that his son is gay. » <a href="http://t.co/81WuQOrwE2">http://t.co/81WuQOrwE2</a></p>&mdash; SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/statuses/433363767162724352">February 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

More comments from the father:

Link

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

1. Whoa. You come out of the closet to your football team and to national TV before your immediate family? That's so intense.

2. Who among us hasn't left Denny's, finding themselves unable to eat the food, only to arrive at Applebee's for some enormous cocktails?

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I could've sworn watching the Rams play would've down that alone.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>OK, the Michael Sam story has officially reached critical mass. He's got his own Taiwanese cartoon - .</p>&mdash; David Morrison (@DavidCMorrison) <a href="https://twitter.com/DavidCMorrison/statuses/433389362101747712">February 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/C9ME89uvHWo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>